• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 2 Post By Lurch71

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stop & Go Tubeless Puncture Pilot

Does anyone carry a tire repair kit? I saw the Stop&Go Tubeless Puncture Pilot. $54 on Amazon. Includes an air pump that will run off battery and has a tender adapter. Looking for thoughts. I would only use a patch as a short term emergency solution. Suggestions?

Last edited by Lurch71; 10-17-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I keep one on the bike & have used it exactly once & it performed as advertised.
Since I got me home under my own power I will consider it money well spent.
Lurch71 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I bought this one years ago and it has paid for itself the few times I've had to use it.....https://www.stopngo.com/tire-mobility-kit-for-cars/

I keep it under the seat.The tire gauge is in the black case along with a Leatherman tool. the compressor in the red pouch and the rest of the kit in the stop-n-go pouch. I plugged one new Michelin PR3 that only had about 60 miles on it and it was on the bike when i sold it 7500 miles later.

P1010524 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-18-2017 at 06:21 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
The one you listed looks like a good set-up. Stop-n-Go products work well. I've never had an issue with mine....
Lurch71 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I carry the 12v "SLIME" set-up on both my Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have carried a Stop & Go kit (+ other related items) on my bike for the last 15 years. I only had to use it once ... but it was well worth it. I never travel without it.
weljo2001 likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the DynaPlug kit which gets great reviews. Never used it. I have used the old fashioned plugs that are like a tar covered braid. They work fine but are a lot of work to get installed sometimes. The DynaPlug looks to be a superior plug system.

I carry a mini bicycle tire pump which has been easy enough for airing back up after riding dirt or when a tire loses pressure over time. I would love to have an electric pump but would never go without the manual pump also.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yep, good product. And, if you buy one you'll probably never have to use it. I believe that's one of Newton's Laws.
weljo2001 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM

This is one of the advantages of tubeless tires. There's a good chance you can do a quick fix in a pinch. I carry the Slime (brand) pump, but I'm not a Slime fan, so I carry the tools to install a plug. You may also want to carry something like a small pair of vice grips to remove the foreign object.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage
It doesn't take much to flatten a tire....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It doesn't take much to flatten a tire....

When did that happen?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
When did that happen?

March of 2015 on the FJR. I had tires already ordered to replace the set i had on so it was perfect timing...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I have the DynaPlug kit which gets great reviews. Never used it. I have used the old fashioned plugs that are like a tar covered braid. They work fine but are a lot of work to get installed sometimes. The DynaPlug looks to be a superior plug system.

I carry a mini bicycle tire pump which has been easy enough for airing back up after riding dirt or when a tire loses pressure over time. I would love to have an electric pump but would never go without the manual pump also.
I have the large plastic black handle DynaPlug kit and the small metal one--if you ever have to use it you will need a centerstand or someway to keep the bike from rolling forward-because it takes a lot of pushing to get it in the tire so much that I can't see the small handle one working and if it goes in easy the hole is to large and it will leak--so I keep the large one and a sticky string kit on the bike to cover all size holes--and about the Stop&Go kit I have seen them fail on steel belted tires the belts chew them up-they work well on bias tires with nylon cord--never had a sticky string repair fail on any kind of tire

Deep in Cajun Country
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had a nail stuck in my tire a few months back. I carried two different tire repair kits, neither of which worked. The problem was they did not work at allowing me to push the plug into the tire. The tire simply collapsed against the rim when pressure was applied by the insertion device. Tried slime too. Slime blocked the hole while the bike was at rest but gave out when the tire started to move.

I think the only real fix is to take the tire off the rim and patch it from the inside. The tire repair kits that insert a plug are designed for car tires that are a lot stiffer than motorcycle tires and have a much thicker carcass.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-19-2017 at 09:41 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
never had a sticky string repair fail on any kind of tire
I've had one fail on a car tire. Over the years I've put in at least a dozen of them and that is the only failure.

Thanks for the info about using the larger T-handle tool.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Stop&Go off Amazon Prime. Hopefully I wont have to use it.
weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:17 AM

I carried a patch kit for years, but no longer. Now I use Ride-on tire sealant and balancer. When I replaced a tire last year I found a nail protruding in the case that had been there so long the nail head had worn off. never lost pressure. YMMV.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM

I had a screw in my tyre about 3 weeks ago. By the time I had stopped the tyre was flat.

I have the Stop n Go with the CO2 canisters & this was the 1st time I used it. Had no problems getting the adapter in as the hole was huge.

Did you ream out the hole enough?

BTW, I replaced the tyre recently & noticed I didn't pull the mushroom out far enough & it was not sealed tight against the tyre wall. Only lost about 2psi a week though!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 AM

I've always carried the standard 'buy at any store' sticky string tire puncture kit, a Leatherman, and a small electric pump.

Over the last three years I've been lucky enough to get six punctures on three different bikes. All on the rear tire, and all were some form of nail or screw. After a while I was beginning to think someone was sabotaging my tires.

I had three punctures in a single tire of my V-Strom (still had quite a bit of tread on it when I finally decided to replace it). Three punctures in three different tires on my Tiger 1050, and one puncture on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio. That one took everything I had to plug. Man, that tire was tough to get through.

After my experience with the tire on the Guzzi, I'm thinking about buying this kit. It should provide a bit more leverage when you really need it: http://a.co/haIU7fk

@twowheels: I could see that happening if the tire is almost out of air. The trick with most of these plugs is to keep the tire as inflated as possible while reaming and plugging.

Last edited by Rememo; 10-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode