• 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heavy Load On A V-1000

If you're wondering how the Big V handles loaded down. Don't sweat it. Took the oldest boy to pick his GSXR-750 up from the shop today. 2-up me at around 300lbs and him over 200lbs the bike handled it well. I think we ticked off a couple of Harley riders as went went by them on the freeway.
onewizard and Lurch71 like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 PM

I'm not one to knock motorcycle brands, but having ridden for 5+ decades and noticing that a large percentage of HD riders do not wave back if you extend a hand, it finally dawned on me why during a 500 mile ride this past weekend.

Many of us acknowledge one another as being part of a "brotherhood/sisterhood" of a sort. It's a friendly thing to do among folks who have something in common.

But Saturday I came to the realization that lots of HD riders feel they do not share any kind of kinship with us because we are riding motorcycles, not operating un-muffled, outdated farm machinery.

Just a theory. I could be wrong. No problem, I wish blue skies and safety to all. If for some reason I take a HD for a ride in the future I'll continue to wave to all of my 2 and 3 wheel kin
weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:38 PM

I did a 100 mile trip with my wife on 2016 Versys 650 last weekend, I'm ~300lb + she's ~180lb we were doing just fine uphill, 90 mph or twisty roads. I can imagine how that'd be on V 1000

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post
I'm not one to knock motorcycle brands, but having ridden for 5+ decades and noticing that a large percentage of HD riders do not wave back if you extend a hand, it finally dawned on me why during a 500 mile ride this past weekend.

Many of us acknowledge one another as being part of a "brotherhood/sisterhood" of a sort. It's a friendly thing to do among folks who have something in common.

But Saturday I came to the realization that lots of HD riders feel they do not share any kind of kinship with us because we are riding motorcycles, not operating un-muffled, outdated farm machinery.

Just a theory. I could be wrong. No problem, I wish blue skies and safety to all. If for some reason I take a HD for a ride in the future I'll continue to wave to all of my 2 and 3 wheel kin
You are very right and I can add a little- myself 50+ years and a few of those in the Harley camp although that was when Shovelheads were the hot thing-they most think it's a two way deal- them- all other bikes and -us- Harley riders-when they talk how fast or how reliable their bikes are they are only speaking of Harleys and for most-note I didn't say all- a long ride is 20 or so miles-I have watched when no body wanted those leaky things to where is the line so I can put a down payment and wait 6 month for a new one-but I think the party is about over-sales are down and there are 10 used ones for sale for every new one-they are running out of baby boomers with money to spend on a new toy-when's the last time you saw a 20 some thing on a $20,000 Harley-every one I knew that rode Harley does not now--the next few years are going to be very interesting

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 10-10-2017 at 10:45 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Garage
Yeah, I am always amused at why I never get a return hand signal from the Harley crowd... But I will continue to hand signal them until they come around, if ever... What is the snowflake motto? Love Trumps hate... LOL!

Rmpl

2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT Goblin Green
2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior V8 4x4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Sort of wandered away from the V1000 will carry a lot of weight, but I too wave at every cyclist I encounter whether I'm on two wheels or three (yes, we own Can-Am Spyders as well as "real" motorcycles). If the wave is returned I appreciate it; if not I tend to forget and move on, both literally and figuratively. Doesn't cost much at all to be friendly.
Metalmad and CJRuffner like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...I too wave at every cyclist I encounter whether (IT'S) on two wheels or three.... If the wave is returned I appreciate it; if not I tend to forget and move on, both literally and figuratively. Doesn't cost much at all to be friendly.
I also wave at scooters. After all - they are on TWO wheels too...!

-
weljo2001 and CJRuffner like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM

We rode 2 up on my husbands Versys 1000 from Central Il to the Vintage Fest in Birmingham this past weekend. We also had the 12 pound puppy Duke, the reason for riding one bike and not two.

Vera (he named his bike) proved to be a great bike for the 1,000 mile trek. We rode in the rain coming home for 6 hours and it still performed like a trooper. Vera probably does not have quite the wind protection or wiggle room his previous Concours did, but it was still a nice ride.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 View Post

I guess I live where most Harley riders are 1. on expensive touring bikes. and 2. are white collar professionals, because I get waves and returned waves from most riders no matter what I am riding. Only the hard core "biker trash" dudes don't bother to wave to anyone.

I'm the guy in the high vis gear and helmet even when I am on my Harleys.

I wave no matter what and really don't even look to see if they wave back. I don't really care.

Of course where I live most people in trucks wave to each other buy lifting the index finger off the steering wheel. Just country courtesy.
weljo2001 and Metalmad like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
You are very right and I can add a little- myself 50+ years and a few of those in the Harley camp although that was when Shovelheads were the hot thing-they most think it's a two way deal- them- all other bikes and -us- Harley riders-when they talk how fast or how reliable their bikes are they are only speaking of Harleys and for most-note I didn't say all- a long ride is 20 or so miles-I have watched when no body wanted those leaky things to where is the line so I can put a down payment and wait 6 month for a new one-but I think the party is about over-sales are down and there are 10 used ones for sale for every new one-they are running out of baby boomers with money to spend on a new toy-when's the last time you saw a 20 some thing on a $20,000 Harley-every one I knew that rode Harley does not now--the next few years are going to be very interesting
I'm at the end of the baby boomer's timeline I guess. Bought my first Harley in 2016 because I was able to trade 3 Kawasakis with 100,000 combined mileage almost even for the Road Glide Ultra. Once I sold all the accessories I pulled off all 3 bikes I was ahead. Anyway, the Road Glide Ultra is the best touring bike I have ever owned and there are things about owning a Harley that are far better than what the Japanese is offering in the touring arena. That's my take.

Until the Rushmore bikes came out, I wouldn't have even considered owning a Harley.

I have since ridden all models and wouldn't buy anything but the touring lineup.

I will say that in my travels around the country I have seen many more Harleys touring America than any other brand of motorcycle. I will also say that I have owned bikes that I wouldn't ride more than 20 miles at a time because they looked better than they were comfortable. My Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 was one such bike. My Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic is another. Any SS bike I have ridden I couldn't wait to get off of it. Some bikes just aren't designed for the traveler. I wouldn't ride a Honda Grom more than 20 miles either.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I guess I live where most Harley riders are 1. on expensive touring bikes. and 2. are white collar professionals, because I get waves and returned waves from most riders no matter what I am riding. Only the hard core "biker trash" dudes don't bother to wave to anyone.

I'm the guy in the high vis gear and helmet even when I am on my Harleys.

I wave no matter what and really don't even look to see if they wave back. I don't really care.

Of course where I live most people in trucks wave to each other buy lifting the index finger off the steering wheel. Just country courtesy.

The index finger wave.........every driver on any two lane in SD will give you one.........even if you have out of state plates.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I'm at the end of the baby boomer's timeline I guess. Bought my first Harley in 2016 because I was able to trade 3 Kawasakis with 100,000 combined mileage almost even for the Road Glide Ultra. Once I sold all the accessories I pulled off all 3 bikes I was ahead. Anyway, the Road Glide Ultra is the best touring bike I have ever owned and there are things about owning a Harley that are far better than what the Japanese is offering in the touring arena. That's my take.

Until the Rushmore bikes came out, I wouldn't have even considered owning a Harley.

I have since ridden all models and wouldn't buy anything but the touring lineup.

I will say that in my travels around the country I have seen many more Harleys touring America than any other brand of motorcycle. I will also say that I have owned bikes that I wouldn't ride more than 20 miles at a time because they looked better than they were comfortable. My Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 was one such bike. My Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic is another. Any SS bike I have ridden I couldn't wait to get off of it. Some bikes just aren't designed for the traveler. I wouldn't ride a Honda Grom more than 20 miles either.
I'm not knocking the bikes if I was going to do a lot of cross country trips a full bagger Harley it would be-I just don't and never will understand why a certain brand bike changes riders so much

Deep in Cajun Country
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 AM

I've noticed that as the weather turns to crap, more bikers become my friend.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I'm not knocking the bikes if I was going to do a lot of cross country trips a full bagger Harley it would be-I just don't and never will understand why a certain brand bike changes riders so much
I don't think the brand changes riders. I think certain people are attracted to the brand. Those certain people who can't afford the brand are still the same people when on the other brands that they can afford. Just like those attracted to Supersports or Adventure or scooters.

I get way more waves from car drivers and pedestrians when I am on my Harley than I have ever gotten on any other bike. Especially in small towns across America.

I tell people I am not a biker. I am a motorcycle enthusiast, or I am a rider.

So the hard core mean bikers have one attitude, but the BMW riders have a whole other attitude of snobby "I'm better and richer than you."

What has attracted me to Harley touring bikes is that I can very easily change the ergonomics to fit me. The availability of handlebars, floorboards, seats, controls, etc. to make it a mile eater are so numerous it is almost overwhelming.

Also, my previous touring bike, Vulcan Voyager 1700 was covered in plastics that buzzed and vibrated and had to be hunted down during my 60,000 miles of ownership. The Tour Pack was permanently mounted so you couldn't easily remove it if you wanted to lighten the bike for local riding. Very few accessories were available. and the real clincher that Harley has over the Japanese is the availability of parts for the bike down to a hinge, a connector, etc. If you broke a part on the tour pack, you had to buy an entire tour pack for $1500 where Harley will sell each individual part separately. I even got a book of every part for the bikes.

Harley also builds a lot of plug and play harnesses so you don't have to go chopping into the wiring to add something. If you need a custom harness, there are aftermarket companies making them, or you can order the correct molex connector and pins from Harley and build your own.

Ohlins even makes adjustable suspension for Harleys front and rear. The newest touring bikes don't really need suspension replaced unless you are really riding the bike near the limits.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode