Slip on exhaust? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Slip on exhaust?

I'm thinking about swapping out that ugly can on the V for something at least more aesthetically appealing. What im concerned about is how the bike runs afterwards. For those of you who have upgraded your exhaust, did you need to get a power commander as well to tinker with it or does it run fine by itself after the swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
it will be louder and add some pops and bangs also you will loose some engine braking for what i recall. some say you need a power commander and yet others have ran without one with no problem

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
it will be louder and add some pops and bangs also you will loose some engine braking for what i recall. some say you need a power commander and yet others have ran without one with no problem
Yeah trying to keep it fairly cheap, so if I need a power commander I probably wont bother. Does anybody know if running it without a remapping actually loses power? This would also be a deal breaker for me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
Yeah trying to keep it fairly cheap, so if I need a power commander I probably wont bother. Does anybody know if running it without a remapping actually loses power? This would also be a deal breaker for me.
you will loose some bottom end power due to loosing back pressure but will gain some top end... so if your plans are to be ringing it out all the time you wont notice any power gain... but the versys isnt a sport bike its a sport tourer.,...so ya...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM

Garage
I put a slip on on my V-650 didn't notice any power loss or gain. It looked great and sounded much better than the stock can. Put a different exhaust on my FJR noticed a big drop off in power. Put the stock exhaust back on. On the V-1000 you can put a slip-on on it but it will still have the cat so it will not gain much in sound. So for me it would just be a waste of money to put one on my V-1000. The only reason i would was if i really hated the look of the stocker and its kind of grown on me like a fungus...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
I have had a slip-on installed on my 2011 for about 15K miles with no problems. No re-mapping needed, no decel popping, power feels about the same. I've actually got an eBay special no name one for sale if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I have had a slip-on installed on my 2011 for about 15K miles with no problems. No re-mapping needed, no decel popping, power feels about the same. I've actually got an eBay special no name one for sale if you are interested shoot me a PM.

He has a Versys 1000...
AlaskaJeff likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
I put a Delkavic slip-on on my V1000.
What you will get is the different aesthetics and a slightly different tone. With the colostomy bag muffler under the engine, you won't get much more volume out of it. You will lose a few pounds which won't make a difference. If you trust the dyno graph provided by Delkavic, you will gain a few hp which you won't notice.

If that's the only change you make there should be no need for map change or magic gizmos.
I cannot detect any change in performance one way or another. There is no popping or farting on decel, just a bit more audible growl.

So, if you're after a slightly different exhaust note and want to lose the ugly can, go for it. If you're looking for big noise or performance gain, don't bother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0613.jpg (63.2 KB, 73 views)

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
I put a Delkavic slip-on on my V1000.
What you will get is the different aesthetics and a slightly different tone. With the colostomy bag muffler under the engine, you won't get much more volume out of it. You will lose a few pounds which won't make a difference. If you trust the dyno graph provided by Delkavic, you will gain a few hp which you won't notice.

If that's the only change you make there should be no need for map change or magic gizmos.
I cannot detect any change in performance one way or another. There is no popping or farting on decel, just a bit more audible growl.

So, if you're after a slightly different exhaust note and want to lose the ugly can, go for it. If you're looking for big noise or performance gain, don't bother.
This is kinda what I was hoping. Im not expecting huge gains, I just dont want to lose any either. My biggest issue is the aesthetics side of things, I really cant stand these comically huge cans that come stock.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Im looking at this IXIL set up. I know its a picture of the last gen but according to the site, it should work with the '16 models. Anybody have one of these? Im a little concerned with where the exhaust exits in relation to the hard cases and i cant find any pictures showing that exhaust on a bike with the luggage on it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Garage
It looks like there is not a stop or pad for the center stand on the connector pipe. That's one thing I looked for when I bought mine. Without that stop it might interfere with the swing arm or chain. Don't know for sure but worth double checking.
Seems to me other brands spec a different part number for the pre 2015 vs. the later bikes.
As far as the hard case, my can clears it with room to spare and the tip angles down so the hot exhaust doesn't flow towards the case. The tips on the one you show are further forward and angle up. It very well might melt the bottom corner of your case with hot exhaust.
If the seller isn't 100% sure it fits the later bike properly, ask about their return policy.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
It looks like there is not a stop or pad for the center stand on the connector pipe. That's one thing I looked for when I bought mine. Without that stop it might interfere with the swing arm or chain. Don't know for sure but worth double checking.
Seems to me other brands spec a different part number for the pre 2015 vs. the later bikes.
As far as the hard case, my can clears it with room to spare and the tip angles down so the hot exhaust doesn't flow towards the case. The tips on the one you show are further forward and angle up. It very well might melt the bottom corner of your case with hot exhaust.
If the seller isn't 100% sure it fits the later bike properly, ask about their return policy.
I sent over an email to Ixil for answers on these issues. They said that it does have the center stand stop and that it exits similar to the stock exhaust and they have had no issues with it interfering with the hardbags. Ive asked them for some updated pictures on a newer model.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Garage
It's sounding better. Nice that they answer questions quickly.
Honestly, any aftermarket parts can be a crap shoot. Even with reputable brands you never know how well it will fit until you mount the part. I always feel a bit lucky when an aftermarket part bolts on and works properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode