2018 Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Gigitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

2018 Versys 1000

Kawasaki CARB certified the 2018 Versys 1000 (and Concours 14) on Aug 04. Wonder if either/both will get cruise for 2018?
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad...043_0d8_hn.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM

Garage
I am truly amazed that the Versys 650 is now in its 3rd generation and the Versys 1000 in its second.

The concours was introduced in the 80s and is only in its 2nd generation with a couple minor tweaks in 2010.

I know that any multiday bike in my future is going to have electronic cruise control. I don't need the power of the super tenere, but the Electronic Suspension version that comes with heated grips, cruise control, shaft drive, and of course Electronic Suspension adjustment is high on my list right now.
BEACHBUM and quexpress like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

If I were to sell both my H-D and FZ, the Super Tenere ES would be at the top of my list for one/do it all machine. Since I'm still holding on to my bagger (batwing/stereo/cruise/tour pak), I just want a second bike that can also be a lightweight, solo long distance bike. I can set up the FZ for 90% of that but I can't do anything regarding a 3.7 gallon fuel tank. I won't bother strapping on a aux gas can cuz if I need to stop to add fuel, I might as well stop at a gas station. I can't get it out of my head that I need more than 140 mile fuel range. Hell, on a 3k mile trip, the difference between stopping every 175 miles versus 140 miles is only (4) extra stops. Sure the 650 LT can go 200+ but my ass won't want to
** The duffels are stuffed with pillows in the photos, so they're exagerrated in size **
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170612_092727.jpg (63.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 20170612_092711.jpg (56.7 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by troop; 08-16-2017 at 09:44 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM

+2 on the Tenere.

More bike than I need but Yamaha reliability with cruise control????

(Not that Kawi is "bad" when it comes to reliability.)

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
If I were to sell both my H-D and FZ, the Super Tenere ES would be at the top of my list for one/do it all machine. Since I'm still holding on to my bagger (batwing/stereo/cruise/tour pak), I just want a second bike that can also be a lightweight, solo long distance bike. I can set up the FZ for 90% of that but I can't do anything regarding a 3.7 gallon fuel tank. I won't bother strapping on a aux gas can cuz if I need to stop to add fuel, I might as well stop at a gas station. I can't get it out of my head that I need more than 140 mile fuel range. Hell, on a 3k mile trip, the difference between stopping every 175 miles versus 140 miles is only (4) extra stops. Sure the 650 LT can go 200+ but my ass won't want to
** The duffels are stuffed with pillows in the photos, so they're exagerrated in size **
Holy smokes Batman. With all those wings on the back that sucker should fly!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 PM

Garage
Yes x1000

+1000 on the Yamaha. Just got back from Iceland. Motorbikes everywhere. The only bike that even approached the number of Adventures was the Tenere. I was genuinely surprised at the number of them we saw as we drove around the island.

That said, you could add all the Ducati, Yamaha, et al together and you'd still be at 20%. BMW, for better or worse, owns the adventure touring market with their bike. It must really be something.

Cheers!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
+1000 on the Yamaha. Just got back from Iceland. Motorbikes everywhere. The only bike that even approached the number of Adventures was the Tenere. I was genuinely surprised at the number of them we saw as we drove around the island.

That said, you could add all the Ducati, Yamaha, et al together and you'd still be at 20%. BMW, for better or worse, owns the adventure touring market with their bike. It must really be something.

Cheers!
Didn't care for the R1200GS I test rode. I have not ridden the Super Tenere yet. My Beemer friends have a ST rider in their group. He has no trouble doing anything they do and he has a lot less money in his.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post

What I like about my FZ-07 is that it is light so easy to load in the truck, it is low so it doesn't affect fuel economy much when I am hauling it, and it takes all the hard bags the Versys took. But, I am tired of dealing with the chain that seems to be continually loose. Maybe I just need to replace it with a higher quality chain instead of waiting until it is worn out.

This is the 3rd bike I have had my GIVI V35 bags mounted on.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:00 AM

I may be the only person that doesn't care for the Super Tenere, I thought it handled like a tractor and the throttle felt soft. Granted, it was only a test ride perhaps more quality time with the bike and it would grow on me.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I may be the only person that doesn't care for the Super Tenere, I thought it handled like a tractor and the throttle felt soft. Granted, it was only a test ride perhaps more quality time with the bike and it would grow on me.
You obviously have not driven a modern Kabota Tractor. LOL!

Personally, I don't care about acceleration. My KLX250S out accelerates most cars on the road. What draws me to the Super Tenere are the creature comforts and technology. Once you have toured on a bike with shaft drive, electronic cruise, and electronic suspension adjustment, it is hard to tolerate anything less.
If an 800cc Tenere with all the electronics was lighter and go better fuel economy came out, I would buy it. Even if the price was only $1000 less.
407guy likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
What draws me to the Super Tenere are the creature comforts and technology. Once you have toured on a bike with shaft drive, electronic cruise, and electronic suspension adjustment, it is hard to tolerate anything less.

If an 800cc Tenere with all the electronics was lighter and go better fuel economy came out, I would buy it. Even if the price was only $1000 less.
+1

(And sorry to the OP that this topic is going a bit sideways now.)

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully, maybe even cruise control. With these wire by throttle bikes, it can be done much easier. Triumph puts it on their 800 Tigers (albeit $12.5K+). For someone contemplating replacing a FZ-09 with Versys 650 LT, I keep buying stuff for the FZ
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You obviously have not driven a modern Kabota Tractor. LOL!

Personally, I don't care about acceleration. My KLX250S out accelerates most cars on the road. What draws me to the Super Tenere are the creature comforts and technology. Once you have toured on a bike with shaft drive, electronic cruise, and electronic suspension adjustment, it is hard to tolerate anything less.
My first motorcycle did have shaft drive, an 84 Nighthawk, and I do miss that. I've never owned a bike with a larger displacement than 650cc so it wasn't the power, I just like good handling and the Super Ten didn't do it for me. It was comfortable.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I luv my Super Tenere ES 1200.
Every time I get on it I just giggle - really fun bike to ride, tour and you still can be a hooligan on it.
407guy likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM

Certainly enjoyed my 12' Super Tenere, but it was a bit too much/size for offroad fun so I downsized to a gen 3 versys 650. Both are great bargins.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Given that the 2017 Ninja 1k didn't get either throttle by wire or Cruise I don't think the V 1k will see it. I honestly don't know why Kawi even makes both bikes, would seem that they cannibalize sales off each other since they basically cost the same. I am still astounded Kawi won't use throttle by wire especially with Euro 4 compliance and a lot of the 1000+cc competition getting TC as standard now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode