What type or Rider are you? Low rpm or High - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What type or Rider are you? Low rpm or High

Ok I’m not a great writer or speller but here I go, please forgive me if you think this is a stupid post.
Me, I’m a low rpm guy, I like bikes with great low end torque and like to stay in what I call the meaty part of the torque or power band for lack of a better word. I try to be a smooth rider and this technique seems to work towards the smoothness I seek. I don’t care for bikes that have little bottom end torque that make power in the higher rpm ranges. I have never owned an inline four cylinder bike, tried them don’t like em. I just love twins.
So you’re probably asking why then did he buy the Versys. Well Kawasaki states the Versys Ninja motor was detuned for better low to mid range response. So I thought, cool a bike with the styling and ergos that work for me and has a little torquey motor, although it’s not the torque monster I was hoping for, it is a blast to ride and I’m having great fun with it. I have the most fun under 5000rpm But man this little motor really gets scooten after 7000rpm
So let’s hear it. Low or High Rev’s? What Type of Rider are You?

I started this thread mostly because a statement from the: 44 tooth is the ticket thread under modification performance.

Last edited by Nytrydr; 07-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Good thread idea!

As a noob, I am not that confident in what "works" best for motorcycle riding and specifically for the V.

I tend to be lower rpms, with my crazy logic that it will yield better mileage and less strain on the engine.

Hope to hear from lots of people on this and maybe my riding will change as a result.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm rarely above 5k. If I'm trying to outrun the cops or do wheelies in the Walmart parking lot I bump it up to 8k sometimes.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
Good thread idea!

As a noob, I am not that confident in what "works" best for motorcycle riding and specifically for the V.

I tend to be lower rpms, with my crazy logic that it will yield better mileage and less strain on the engine.

Hope to hear from lots of people on this and maybe my riding will change as a result.
I was this way when I first started riding. I rarely ran above 5k rpm thinking it would stress the engine out and lower my gas mileage. I averaged about 41 mpg.

Then I took a sport bike course and as I watched and listened to the other bikes, including another V, they all ran in high rpm so they didn't have to do a bunch a shifting on the course. I copied them and noticed how much more responsive the bike was and how much better my mileage was.

These days, I keep my rpms in the 5k - 7k range. I rarely use 6th gear unless I'm running 80+ in the freeway. My mileage is slowly climbing too. I get between 46 and 47 mpg now depending on traffic.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Just depends on the need at the time I suppose. If I am just having fun and riding around, I stay below 5k most of the time. But, when I need to get there quick (travel time), I run around 75 to 80 mph highway. I think that is about 5k in 6th on the V, if I remember correctly.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM

I just love the parallel twin. The V is most fun for me between 5-7K. I love hearing it go from a grunt to a growl to a roar.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
I just love the parallel twin. The V is most fun for me between 5-7K. I love hearing it go from a grunt to a growl to a roar.
The stock exhaust actually sounds pretty nice in these higher rpms too.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My rev range depends on a lot of variable's, riding with my wife who owns a cruiser lower range, on my own really depends on my mood and if it it agressive twistys do crank up to a higher rev range as i do engine brake hard when in the zone but the bottom line is that I vary rev range depending (if i living 20 years in past revs get up)
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 PM

3K-6k mostly. I have been known to explore the higher revs, but not often.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 PM

I have a 16 tooth front sprocket. My bike lives between 4 and 6 thousand rpm. It doesn't like hard acceleration below 4k rpm. Good post, I too was wondering what everybody else does.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Garage
Commuting, I run 3.5-5k or so.

When I am out having fun, I am usully in the 5-8k range.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM

I had a professor in grad school who liked to profess the value of "particularlism." Simply stated, any decision should be guided by the particulars of the situation.

So, revs in the amount that the situation calls for.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM

I love this motor too. I live in the 4-8k range and take it to redline when I am slaying liter bikes in the mountains. I run a 44t which works perfect for spirited riding in the twisties!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 07-17-2010 at 10:23 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
looking forward to weather getting warmer to push revs and test my 44t rear out
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 PM

I tend to keep it around 4k most of the time, but I'm not afraid to take it to the red line ever once in a while.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM

I normally `cruise’ the back roads between 4 & 5k and run it up to 7 or 8k thru the first few gears when getting on a highway, however...

I don’t know if this still holds true with the current rings & cylinder wall material, etc. but FWIW, back in `the olden days’...

As the mileage on an engine would increase with age, it would develop a bit of a ridge on the cylinder walls at the uppermost point of the top ring’s travel. If you always limited the RPM way below redline, that ridge would form at that given point — but if you then took the engine up to redline, the additional stretch on the connecting rods would cause the piston/top ring to move higher and hit that ridge with potentially catastrophic results (like a shattered ring).

As such, it was thought to be beneficial to occasionally take an engine (at least briefly) right up to redline.

So that’s what I still do...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:46 PM

That would be high..definitely high.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 PM

I like being around 5-8k, if it gets much lower than 4k then I'll downshift. It seems to quit pulling around 9k so I don't rev it above that too often, it does sound cool once it gets wound up though.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 PM

It does seem to stop pulling when you hit the rev limiter.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 AM

I'm a midrange kind of guy? Upshift at 4k in easygoing riding. But it's different depending on engine. Test rode a Street Triple, and damned if I wouldn't be wringing that thing out any chance I got. That's an engine that positively begs to be spun up. Conversely, my Virago 250 is actually most satisfying wide open at lower revs. It's mostly because of how Yamaha tuned the exhaust note. Sounds like a bigger bike until you wind it up. And then it runs out of breath anyway.

Back to the V. Haven't redlined it yet; partly because it sounds so angry above 8k that my hindbrain thinks it's mad at me, the rest because usually by the time I get that high I fee like I'm going waaay too fast. And usually am. As an aside, anybody else think the shiftpoints in the manual are absurd? It's so unhappy under 3k in any gear higher than 3rd.

Getting 50-ish mpg keeping it (mostly) between 3-6.5k.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode