Manual or automatic - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

View Poll Results: do you prefer manual or automatic when driving your car.
Manual transmission 27 71.05%
Automatic transmission 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Manual or automatic

Just curious as to what your preference is whith your cars. I prefer A manual transmission, the real kind with A clutch, not paddle shifters.

Last edited by glowcat13; 07-04-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Agreed.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 PM

True manuals......stick on the floor, pedal to the left.

and don't talk to me about DSG and paddle shifters. Why, even the Porsche gods can't get it right....as their system will shift for you if you don't.

and that is just SOOOOOOOOOO wrong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 PM

I like an automatic. Too much going on to shift gears...Texting... Talking on the phone... reading... getting a CD out of the dang case and into the player.... Playing "punch bug" with my daughter...Ouch! Need a hand for turn signals, gestures, headlights and horn, wipers, radio, sunroof and makeup (for the ladies). Got to grade papers, pay the bills, make your grocery list, get your wallet out for the drive through. Steering wheel in one hand, burger in the second, fries in the lap and gotta let the wheel go to get a sip to drink! Steer with your leg. Hunt for the cell phone charger in the glove box. Oh and fix your hair if you have any.

Much easier in an automatic!

That's why us bikers have to be prepared for anything...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
DBL

Not to mention it's easier to drink your beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I like an automatic. Too much going on to shift gears...Texting... Talking on the phone... reading... getting a CD out of the dang case and into the player.... Playing "punch bug" with my daughter...Ouch! Need a hand for turn signals, gestures, headlights and horn, wipers, radio, sunroof and makeup (for the ladies). Got to grade papers, pay the bills, make your grocery list, get your wallet out for the drive through. Steering wheel in one hand, burger in the second, fries in the lap and gotta let the wheel go to get a sip to drink! Steer with your leg. Hunt for the cell phone charger in the glove box. Oh and fix your hair if you have any.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:

So true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
Not to mention it's easier to drink your beer!

I've always found that to be true as well!!!

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 PM

manual all the way.
If I can't rev the engine to the rpm I desire, then the vehicle is fundamentally flawed.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Garage
I drove a stick shift for the first time earlier this year, when test driving a Cooper S convertible. Loved every minute of it. Luckily, the salesmen didn't ride along or he probably would of been screaming at me, since I kept unconsciously feathering the clutch like a bike. But since it was a convertible, the smoke was gone by the time I got back to the dealer.

For a daily driver, I'd have to go with an automatic, being stuck in rush hour traffic can be bad enough, I'd hate to imagine it in a stick-shift. But for a weekend drive in the twisties, I'd have to go with a stick.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 PM

I can deal with an automatic every once in a while ... as long as it's not my car. My Porsche has a factory short shifter and it's a joy on the street and the track.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Capn, i stand corrected ...what was I thinkin'!!!!!

WAIT! gotta run...time to turn the steaks (got the 'barbie set up in the "pick-em-up bed and there's a train-crossing coming up and you know what that means... KEGGER!!! WOO-WHOOO!!!

(AND..don't worry, I'm cookin' the potatoes in the microwave I got set up in the back seat.....cuz I sure wouldn't want you guys to think I'm drivin' wreakless like....WELLLLLLLLLLL-DOGGIES!!!!!!)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-04-2010 at 09:48 PM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

yea but A real man can do all that and still shift, and also reach over and roll down the passenger window's manual crank.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
yea but A real man can do all that and still shift, and also reach over and roll down the passenger window's manual crank.
+1, been doing it all for many years with a stick, not to mention off-road in the Jeep.

V-Zee
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Manual Or Automatic Transmission - Depends On What You Want To Achiev.

The Bottom Line The choice depends on your driving habits and conditions.

There are several factors that should affect your choice of transmission.

1. Do you often drive during "rush hour"? In this case automatic will be better - your right hand will be less tired and you won’t have to use the left foot. Besides, driving in heavy traffic with a lot of high-speed operation and frequent stops will not be very good for the clutch.

2. Fuel economy: Manual gearboxes, as a rule, provide better fuel economy (about 1 MPG better when automatics), and generally have more speeds so engine more often works in a range of optimal RPMs, they weight less and have no torque converter.

3. Acceleration: Manual transmissions, when properly used, provide better acceleration. Several factors contribute to this: they usually have more speeds to choose from, there is no torque converter that “eats” some torque, the weight is less.

4. Do you like to drive? Although automatic transmissions now got very sophisticated and adapt to the one’s driving style, they still cannot predict your intentions. Plus with them you don’t feel the direct link between your right foot and the engine response – the torque converter and other “goodies” mute it.

5. Price: Usually the automatic transmission costs $700-1200 extra. Some cars have them as standard equipment though, and some offer them as a free option.

6. Reliability: The automatic transmissions have much more parts and sophisticated control mechanisms. I have had bad luck with automatics.( Volvo 940GL)

Newer automatic transmissions with fuzzy logic provide good shift points and reasonable fuel economy. There are also "manumatic" automatic transmissions where you can shift manually, sometimes even with buttons on the steering wheel.

Nevertheless, it is still automatic transmission where you don't feel direct feel of manual, since it has torque converter. Commercials say that they are "like" transmissions used in Formula 1 auto racing. This is a lie - real F1 transmission may currently be found only in supercars like Ferrari 360 Modena as a $10K option or European cars that are not sold in the US (Alpha Romeo).

“Manumatics” are usually automatic transmissions that allow you to select the gear yourself. Yet, majority of them still downshift when you want to pass (kick-down) and upshift before you hit the rev limiter.

The CVT (continuously variable transmissions) start to appear in even bigger cars (like new Audi A4 – in Europe now, possibly in the US – in the 2002 model), they provide better fuel economy (some of them, i.e. in Audi, don't even have torque converters!) and acceleration than even manual and also can be shifted manually, and they don't require clutches. They are not so fun to drive us real manual transmission, but are much better than “regular” hydraulic auto transmissions.

The choice depends on your driving habits and conditions.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Have a auto car and manual ute, the small car great around the city and easy to drive, the man ford courier gives great control when towing horse floats etc
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
A manual trans ALWAYS!

I had a '92 SHO 5 speed when Ford announced the new V8 SHO would be automatic only. I wrote them and said I would NOT buy another SHO if they were automatic only. Their reply...? Said that there was NOT enough demand so they wouldn't offer manual transmissions...! (Toyota was selling OVER 100,000 standard trans Camrys per year. Not ENOUGH demand?)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
A manual trans ALWAYS!

I had a '92 SHO 5 speed when Ford announced the new V8 SHO would be automatic only. I wrote them and said I would NOT buy another SHO if they were automatic only. Their reply...? Said that there was NOT enough demand so they wouldn't offer manual transmissions...! (Toyota was selling OVER 100,000 standard trans Camrys per year. Not ENOUGH demand?)
I've heard that from so many dealers. Maybe it's true, I don't know, but I know I prefer the stick (easy felllas!!)....

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM

I just converted my car to a manual transmission after owning it for 8 years as an auto-tragic. It is such a different car to drive now and ironically after all that effort and money I have driven it only 5 times since May 1st... the V has taken my interest with it.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM

I prefer a six speed, with a Porshe emblem on the shift knob, and the car to match!

My Album:
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I just feel that A manual ads to the driving experiance, and can make an economy car like my saturn A little more fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00000.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	874.9 KB
ID:	7322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode