Private Pilot Licence - Canada - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Private Pilot Licence - Canada

Hey all,

Not sure if anyone here has experience with this or not, but I am wondering if it would be possible to complete my private pilot licence in 3 months time? I'm heading to the flying club tonight to discuss it with them. Planning on doing my ground school online using a program one of their staff members created and I need to get in ~40-50 training hours. I am free every night of the week, but not on weekends due to hiking, camping, etc. Cost here is between $7000-8000. I've wanted to fly since I was a little kid and feel like I should do it sooner than later... I'm only 22, but if I get it when I'm 40, I don't want to realize that I missed out on almost 20 years of something I love.

Any advice/thoughts?

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:44 PM

if the weather corporates you should be able to do it. If it is like the American licence there will be alot of book work and studying .If you plan on doing it in three months I would suggest taking a break from camping hiking etc etc and just live eat and sleep flying.

Last edited by turn8a; 05-31-2010 at 03:49 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

That's a valid and fair point Turn8a. I recently finished university and am looking forward to learning something that has a theoretical and practical mix, opposed to 99% straight theory. I'll post an update after my meeting with them tonight.

Think a Cessna can haul a Versys ?....kidding

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banack View Post
That's a valid and fair point Turn8a. I recently finished university and am looking forward to learning something that has a theoretical and practical mix, opposed to 99% straight theory. I'll post an update after my meeting with them tonight.

Think a Cessna can haul a Versys ?....kidding
Keep us posted.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from the airport. They told me 3 months will be tough, but it is possible. We might stick around Canada a bit longer if need be. Will cost me about $9,000 after accounting for everything (ground school, plane rental w/fuel, instructor fees, medical exam, club membership). Starting ground school online tonight, hoping to go for a flight on Wednesday. Very excited.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Don't rush it. You are actually starting another way of life. Be patient. There is a lot to learn beyond getting the license. It's often said the pilot license is actually a "license to learn."

Good luck - and enjoy
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Agreed. I don't want to rush the flying part too much, after all, like they say, your life depends on learning it well. I know there is more to ground school than learning technical procedures and numbers, but I think I will be able to move through it most quickly than they do at the in-class sessions; a bonus is that the if I have any questions, the flight school is more than happy to answer them.

Thanks for the advice!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
and all the best on your flying.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks buddy, I am really looking forward to it....... although, I wonder if I should up my life insurance to $1,000,000

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks buddy, I am really looking forward to it....... although, I wonder if I should up my life insurance to $1,000,000
Maybe for your drive to the airport . lol How was your first lesson of ground school ? Does Canada have anything like www.aopa.org ?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Maybe for your drive to the airport . lol How was your first lesson of ground school ? Does Canada have anything like www.aopa.org ?
Yes. It's the Canadian Owners and Pilots Assn. http://www.copanational.org/ .

FWIW - I'm a retired airline pilot (20,000+ hours). I did my Basic Flying Training in the RCAF over 3 months at Camp Borden (26.7 hours in the 'Chipmunk'), which pretty much equates to a private pilot license. My son got his private license in 3 months at Springbank near Calgary. Lived in a tent at the edge of the airport....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Haha I don't think I can live in a tent near the airport, but I do live within 5 minutes of the flight school/City Centre Airport, so it's quite easy to make my way over there. The information I've gone through thus far (some air law and airspace classifications + structures) isn't too difficult to learn, but the material is quite dry... looking forward to the navigation and meteorology a bit more.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

It gets better when you start flying .That book work can be a drag.lol
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... isn't too difficult to learn, but the material is quite dry... looking forward to the navigation and meteorology a bit more.
Got a funny story for you.
When I started planning to leave the Airforce and go 'commercial', a buddy and I drove down from CFB Trenton to Toronto to write our ATR exams, dressed in jeans and tee-shirts. We got into the room to write them, and a young fellow was already writing, dressed in a very expensive suit, tie, THE WORKS!!! (We figured him for a corporate pilot....). Being quite experienced from Air Transport Command, we finished ALL our exams very quickly, and as we handed them in asked what the "fashion plate" was writing...?
His private pilot's license!

(MORAL-of-the-story: study the hell out of the 'dry stuff'!)

Oh, and by-the-way:
1st flight was in a Chipmunk in 1967, LAST was in an Airbus 340 in April 2003!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Got a funny story for you.
When I started planning to leave the Airforce and go 'commercial', a buddy and I drove down from CFB Trenton to Toronto to write our ATR exams, dressed in jeans and tee-shirts. We got into the room to write them, and a young fellow was already writing, dressed in a very expensive suit, tie, THE WORKS!!! (We figured him for a corporate pilot....). Being quite experienced from Air Transport Command, we finished ALL our exams very quickly, and as we handed them in asked what the "fashion plate" was writing...?
His private pilot's license!

(MORAL-of-the-story: study the hell out of the 'dry stuff'!)

Oh, and by-the-way:
1st flight was in a Chipmunk in 1967, LAST was in an Airbus 340 in April 2003!
Did some flight training some time ago in the Dash8 at Bombardier in Toronto(flight saftey) . Is your son flying for a living?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

My son got hired on at Central Mountain Air (directly out of Mount Royal College with a bare Commercial, Multi-engine, IFR license) and ended up as captain on the Beech 100, with about 4 or 5,000 hours. He decided to switch careers to music, and will move to Montreal to follow his dreams.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Update:

About halfway through ground school and I will be writing my PSTAR exam next week. It's pretty simple, as Transport Canada gives you 200 multiple choice questions to study, 50 of which are on the exam (no answers are given by them, but references to where they can be found in CARs and AIM). The PPAER will be a bit more difficult
I am trying to do the study questions as I complete the ground school modules, opposed to looking up all the answers for the exam, writing it, and not really learning anything.

Have gone flying twice now and have logged 2 full hours! (I guess it's better than 0 ). The first flight I did the pre-flight inspection, some taxiing, left/right turns, and just got a general feel for the plane. Second flight I did pre-flight on my own, full run-up, taxiiing, hands-on-controls during takeoff, climbs, descents, and shutdown. Next time we'll be working on radio communication, climbs, descents, and I'll be doing the takeoff.

Just lovin' it. So much to learn, but it's great!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. My grandpa used to do search and rescue stuff and would take me up in a little Cesna sometimes. Good times up there away from everything.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM

3 months in the summer is lots of time if you work full time at it. I did my PPL in 6 weeks with the Air Cadets. I also ran a flying school before moving on to bigger things.

Biggest recommendation is find a school that doesn't object to you sitting in an airplane on the ramp for an hour + everyday, alone, practicing your drills, memorizing cockpit layout, etc. This practice time "hanger flying" can save you thousands of dollars in training time, and will make you a much better pilot. However some schools discourage it as the money you save comes out of their bottom line. pm me if you need more info as I once held a Class I flight instructor rating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode