Pulled over by Mass state police - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pulled over by Mass state police

While taking A ride on saturday I was pulled over by A state cop in rutland Mass. Instead of pulling behind me the officer pulled along side me had me lift my helmet shield and said you are not in trouble. The officer works with insurance companies, does accident recreation investigations, and teaches classes. The trooper pulled me over to ask if I was ok with him taking some pictures of me riding away from him and towards him because I wear hi-viz gear. He took the pictures on A heavily shaded side street, he intends to use the pictures to advocate the importance of being seen in his classes and to the insurance companies. After he was done he thanked me for my time and said be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM

That's just ....AWESOME!!!!
Good for you (and all of us) for helping out.

Well met sir and thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Garage
Their goes your 15 minutes of fame ...

Good cause though !

LOP
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM

I always wear my Hi-Viz Olympia AirGlide, rain or shine, hot or cold. I am a big believer in Hi-Viz. Anyone who questions it should watch any football game on TV. You can INSTANTLY pick out the workers on the fields wearing the hi-viz shirts and vests.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM

I use a high vis vest - so I can wear it year round (either a light jacket or suit under it) - We have a lot of military bases near DC, and they require the use of the vest...the added benefit is that the local police assume your are either safety concious (and not the type of idiot that does 100 in rush hour traffic) or one of our servicemen - who get a break over civilians!

Foo Fighter Rider
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 PM

You're definitely right, the highly visible gear does make a big difference. I honestly have been confusing both Cruiseman and Glowcat on some other threads, simply because of their avatar photos. +1 for you guys being more responsible than I am...it may be time for me to start taking measures to increase my own visibility.

Thanks for the thread/info.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM

I had a Statey pull me over in Gardner, not so good. Seems I was highly visible doing 90 in a 55 on Rt. 2 Nice to see they care though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 AM

yeah, i was pulled over in mass once, too. more of a blipco event rather than glowcat. did my part to fight frost heaves, i guess.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Wearing colorful clothing help, but you should always ride as if no one can see you...

I love to ride stealth...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Wearing colorful clothing help, but you should always ride as if no one can see you...

I love to ride stealth...
Yes I agree with that assumption that the others on the road just don't see us and have had cars do overtaking and pulling out in front of me on several occasions and thankfully I was going slow enough to take evasive action so miss an accident. I have often thought I should invest in some Hi Viz and a lot of the club members I ride with do use Hi-viz and they are more visible up ahead when the bunch gets broken up on a ride.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Even wearing the Hi-viz stuff I do assume they don't see me because there are always people that don't pay attention or to busy doing something other than just driving. But I will take what ever advantage I can.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Garage
I made the mistake of buying a black helmet, but am about to apply some glow in the dark / reflective decals to it.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
One of the greatest dangers of riding a motorcycle in traffic is not being seen by other drivers. But being aware and having the right gear and accessories for your bike can make all the difference for safe motorcycle visibility

http://video.about.com/motorcycles/M...isibility-.htm
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 AM

You mean the same drivers that pull out in front of 18 wheelers and school busses because they didn't see them????

To be more accurate...never looked!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode