Why do people obscure their license plate numbers when posting on the internet? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why do people obscure their license plate numbers when posting on the internet?

I just don't get it. When I drive my cycle or car on my short ride to work each day, the license is seen by hundreds of folks. On trips, there are probably thousands of people who can see my plate, write down the number or simply pull out their iPhone and take a few snappies. When I park my Versys on a public street, it is open season on my license plate number; I leave it on the bike in plain view; and I have noticed that nearly everyone in my town parks their licensed vehicles on public streets, without obscuring their license plate numbers from those who may wish to write down or even photograph this sensitive information.

I have been a prosecutor for nearly 20 years, and have witnessed first hand identity theives get more creative and ingenious over the years in finding ways to rip people off. I have yet to see a victim of crime of any sort, arising from the victim's failure to properly protect their license plate number.

Just wondering why . . . .?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Here is mine:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	67793
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM

You make an excellent point.

I suspect that it is misguided/ineffective security at this point.

Kind of like the people that post that rambling oratory/declaration on their FB page that FB does not have the right to use their information or pictures.

OTOH, the less floating around the net about you, the better.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
there is a few reasons...
so people cant find out were you live (can find out thru dmv)
can be used to pin traffic tickets on you (rare but can happen)
or it being stolen over seas (take your plate # make there own and put it on same make model of vehicle and import a stolen one under its identity.....

but i agree some people just worry to much (like this guy *points at self*)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM

They saw someone else do it
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Maybe this...

Corey
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey872 View Post
Maybe this...

They could run the same report if my number is seen on the street in front of my house or office, or simply riding down the road!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM

In Texas license plate information is public record and available to anyone.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailk View Post
They could run the same report if my number is seen on the street in front of my house or office, or simply riding down the road!
Agreed. Though that would be one person with the info. This thread has ~110 views at the time of this writing and you've made ~16 posts or so on the forum. So maybe ~1600ish opportunities for 'strangers' on the internet to have some interaction with you.

I suspect some people see it as a lesser chance some random person will be walking down the road, see a license plate, run a report and decide to begin some harassing activity vs an internet forum where hundreds, if not thousands of people could become involved overnight.

I guess it's sort of like asking - why do people have usernames instead of just listing first/last name, DOB, address, phone #, and other personal info. At least the username / blurred license plate 'seems' to provide a bit of security...if nothing else, security through obscurity!

Corey
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Most of the "online" wanna be snoop searches for DMW/ plate info is potentially non-current- these places buy backup data from state agencies, and re-sell the bits and pieces in this manner, but probably with 70% inaccuracy. I used to have contact with such a person at the state level, and was appalled when she said they essentially re-sell our stale private data.

Who cares!

he*ll, I might meet some gal-stalker out of the deal that has a really great_____ (bike) .

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
That is officially the sexiest picture on the internet!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 PM

That is a sexy motorcycle!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Where is her tag number?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Where is her tag number?

I just want to see her "Pink Slip"....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 PM

See (tiny) 10 digit motorcycle tags riding down the street? Sheesh, you must have good eyes!!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
See (tiny) 10 digit motorcycle tags riding down the street? Sheesh, you must have good eyes!!
I just got back from Tennessee. I like looking at the plates at the bike spots to see where people come from. I agree I can't see crap when people on bikes are moving. I used to have eagle eyes. Now I'm more bat like.

I saw one fellow on a white, hardtail chopper with a Washington plate. It was clean. I figured it was a trailer queen. I was wrong. On the way home he and another guy passed me on the interstate. I followed in behind them and they ran 80-90 mph the entire time I was behind them. They went east on 64 near Lexington and I came up 75. Rock on boyz!

During that same bike sniff, I came across a Triumph Bonneville. It looked like it had a bigger that normal front rim and was white and looked exceptionally well cared for. It was an unusual bike as most there were Harleys or sportbikes, but I didn't pay it much mind...until we were headed back to the motel via the Parkway. I was running circa the speed limit after a long day of hot dogging in the hills when the 60+ year old owner passed us like we were standing still. I had to learn more...

I nailed the brick and the chase for the rabbit was on! When I glanced at the speedo it was well into the 90s. My buddy trying to catch up behind me on his Goldwing saw 110 at one point. I was reeling that little air cooled twin bastard in but not very quickly. The thought of spending the night at the Knoxville detention center instead of the Holiday Inn got the better of me and eventually I threw in the towel away he went. Never did get to find out where he was from or what the hell he had done to that engine. Yowza!

Wish I had better eyes.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
That is officially the sexiest picture on the internet!
been around a few years, still one of the best on the net.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Where is her tag number?
If you have to ask, you might be...

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Her tag number???? tag on what?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:54 PM

I don't...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	67913  

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode