BWW S1000XR & Jerseys Mikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
BWW S1000XR & Jerseys Mikes

I was planning on keeping the FJR one more season. But i've been watching videos of the BMW S1000XR and decided i wanted one. Headed out to Long Beach BMW with cash in my pocket. It's a short ride so i got there about 11am and cones and chains had the entrance and exits blocked. Bummed out so went away to Jersey Mikes to get a sandwich. While I'm eating i keep going over how my hip and knees have healed as good as they'll get and i no longer have any dis-comfort on the FJR. The bike runs great, reliable as hell and maintenance is simple so said to my self that the BMW shop being closed must have been a sign. Because i don't need a new bike i just wanted one. I've always said timing is everything and its just not the time..... ........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDfSKndrfA

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The 2015 Ducati Multistrada is the same price and in the same class plus more comfortable with better suspension according to comparison test by MOTO.it Kawasaki Versys 1000 is ~90% as good at half the price

Last edited by twowheels; 07-03-2015 at 03:13 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The 2015 Ducati Multistrada is the same price and in the same class plus more comfortable with better suspension according to comparison test by MOTO.it Kawasaki Versys 1000 is ~90% as good at half the price
Yep, Those were my top 3 but the BMW just did something for me.. So i"m just going to wait till next year and get a deal on a used one out of those three..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Added a video above..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yep, Those were my top 3 but the BMW just did something for me.. So i"m just going to wait till next year and get a deal on a used one out of those three..
Meh, if it was a twin I could see it. BMWs have enough reliability issues and inlines aren't even their forte. If I buy another inline, it'll come from Japan. If I buy an air cooled twin it will come from the US. If I bought a BMW it'd be an RT or maybe one of the little ones with a Rotax engine.

That said, it is a nice looking bike.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Meh, if it was a twin I could see it. BMWs have enough reliability issues and inlines aren't even their forte. If I buy another inline, it'll come from Japan. If I buy an air cooled twin it will come from the US. If I bought a BMW it'd be an RT or maybe one of the little ones with a Rotax engine.

That said, it is a nice looking bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
He would scream like a little girl on a Vmax too, but that doesn't make it what I consider to be a great bike. I realize it was a short dealer demo, but it would have been nice to see him test/comment on something besides straight line acceleration. Besides, my wife would tenderize my kidneys if I did sh*t like that with her on the back.

I'd have to do a little research into how they hold up over the long term. A cursory glance showed a lot more newbies worried about engine noises than actual problems. There was one guy that put 50k on his s1000 and had about 3 fairly major engine issues. I had ~60k on the FJR and it never missed a beat.

Personally, I'm a "Pace" kinda guy. My enjoyment comes from railing thru curves at a velocity that I don't/rarely have to brake into and can maintain my lane and make corrections if needed. 160 hp would be wasted on me. Actually, I would have liked it more if they had tuned it for even more low end power. While it pulled cleanly from low revs, it did so pretty slowly. Once on the pipe it was a monster, but I'd prefer the grunt to come on earlier.

It's truly a racebike engine in a standard chassis. If that's what someone's looking for, it's admittedly hard to beat it. Should even put a hurtin on a Multistrada and require less maintenance ta boot. The V1K is sufficiently racy for my needs though.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As more of these bikes make there way to dealers it will be interesting to see more of the cycle magazines do some comparisons of this bike to the competition, particularly it's main competition the Ducati Multistrada, KTM 1200 and even the Versys 1000 which seems to compare favorably to the Multistrada, at least when price is factored in.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-04-2015 at 05:18 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I traded my Concours in on a Triumph Trophy SE this past week. It is an amazing bike. The others mentioned here are nice, but shaft drive for touring for me.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh boy, a 160 hp brick. Yippee!

Now we need a showdown of neon red hair guys jerking on the throttles for 10 minutes between the BMW and H-2 to see who the winner is. The H-2 neon red hair guy would be pretty hard to beat at throttle jerking. Get 6 - 150 hp bricks with their counterpart neon red hair throttle jerks, and that would be a show. Talk about getting You Tube hits!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-05-2015 at 01:15 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I traded my Concours in on a Triumph Trophy SE this past week. It is an amazing bike. The others mentioned here are nice, but shaft drive for touring for me.
One of the guys that does the monthly ride with the dealer got one last year. He didn't get to ride it much before he had a heart attack and had to sit out last season. He's back and seems very happy with it. He rode an FJR before that.

I agree that a chain is something of a PITA. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to struggle so hard to get it on the jack stand. For people without lowered bikes who kept the center stand, it'd be no big deal at all, save carrying a spray can around.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I test rode a Triumph Trophy and have previously test ridden a GTR 1400 the difference was chalk and cheesel. For around the same cost (here in Australia) the GTR ran rings around the Trophy IMO.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I test rode a Triumph Trophy and have previously test ridden a GTR 1400 the difference was chalk and cheesel. For around the same cost (here in Australia) the GTR ran rings around the Trophy IMO.
For people who have no appreciation of physics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qgfaU8UT2M

(~160 mph)

That engine seems like it could run there all day.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
But i've been watching videos of the BMW S1000XR and decided i wanted one.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...de-review.html
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM

I just can't imagine spending that much on a bike. maybe I'm just cheap.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
If you can afford it, like it, but don't want to spend the money, you are cheap.

If you can't afford it, you must have a family, other priorities, and are not cheap.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post

I really don't spend much money on myself. If i do its motorcycle related. I put money in our homes,businesses and my GF's two sons. I don't drink,smoke,gamble and gave up the strip clubs years ago. We own everything we have and owe no one a penny. Paid $68,000.00 cash for a car for her son last year so if i just wanted to spend $20,000.00 on a motorcycle she would think thats a good deal...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I really don't spend much money on myself. If i do its motorcycle related. I put money in our homes,businesses and my GF's two sons. I don't drink,smoke,gamble and gave up the strip clubs years ago. We own everything we have and owe no one a penny. Paid $68,000.00 cash for a car for her son last year so if i just wanted to spend $20,000.00 on a motorcycle she would think thats a good deal...
Would you like to adopt me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode