Flinching when meeting oncoming traffic mid corner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flinching when meeting oncoming traffic mid corner

When I'm out in the twisties, and I meet oncoming traffic mid-corner, I have a tendency to flinch. It usually happens in tight, blind corners. I ride at moderate speeds and I don't go into corners too hot, and I move for view in my lane. Is there a cure for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
When I'm out in the twisties, and I meet oncoming traffic mid-corner, I have a tendency to flinch. It usually happens in tight, blind corners. I ride at moderate speeds and I don't go into corners too hot, and I move for view in my lane. Is there a cure for this?

Close your eyes...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:49 PM

You beat me to it.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
be suicidal and just not care and be prepared to die due to someones stupidity every day
or grow a pair of balls?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 PM

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have no issue when into a blind right curve because I'm leaning away from the other lane.

In blind left curves I start at the edge of the road before I turn in, but an All of a sudden appearing SUV riding the yellow line will always give me a slight 'fight or flight' response.

I don't want to get used to it because I might get complacent. My BIL with my sister on the back met an impaired driver entirely on their side of the road in a blind left curve. Head on collision. One year ago today.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Take about 1.3 mg of Vitamin B6 (Inositol) per day along with a B50 complex, and everything should be just fine... Also, check your rear wheel alignment. You can't rely on the swingarm's reference marks.

Last edited by invader; 06-21-2015 at 11:07 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
riding is by sight-your bike will go where you see..so don't concentrate too much on on-coming traffic..just your path of travel and take it easy.

and don't close your eyes
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 AM

Knee pads: I put them on every time (over my pants) when I ride, after going downtown in LA splitting lanes. Damn knees sticking out there was starting to freak me out after 2 torn knee meniscus last November when a 19 y.o. girl ran over me.

$45 and well worth the price! It's the one protection most people don't have unless they have padded pants, and those are not at good as these for the knees: not even $3000 leg braces protect the knees better.

I'd make a law to wear them if i could, but then I'd have swarms of California squids on 300cc crotch rockets chasing me!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
Just my opinion it sounds like a confidence issue. I was twitchy as a $hit house rat after my accident and was flinching in situations as you described. I took a weekend skills refresher course and it made a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Knee pads
Yup! Generally speaking I think that if you're wearing the right protection thats one less thing your mind has to be worrying about in the background and taking away from your ability to focus on riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I'd make a law to wear them if i could, but then I'd have swarms of California squids on 300cc crotch rockets chasing me!
LOL, don't imagine the chase would last long before all they'd see is your brake light in the distance.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have no issue when into a blind right curve because I'm leaning away from the other lane.

In blind left curves I start at the edge of the road before I turn in, but an All of a sudden appearing SUV riding the yellow line will always give me a slight 'fight or flight' response.

I don't want to get used to it because I might get complacent. My BIL with my sister on the back met an impaired driver entirely on their side of the road in a blind left curve. Head on collision. One year ago today.
Sorry to hear about your sister and your BIL. I hope they are ok.

I probably have above average paranoia when I'm out riding - always have. I've been riding 15 years and owned about 15 bikes. My last bike was an RSV1000. You think I'd be used it by now.

I agree with what you're saying - fear keeps you alert. But I think often the correct thing to do when you're in a hazardous situation is exactly the opposite of what your instincts want you to do, e.g. look away from hazard, don't brake, lean over, etc. So for me the problem with the "flinch" I sometimes get, is I am less responsive in dangerous situations. It also makes the ride less fun.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just my opinion it sounds like a confidence issue. I was twitchy as a $hit house rat after my accident and was flinching in situations as you described. I took a weekend skills refresher course and it made a world of difference.
That's a good point. I've been considering doing this recently.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 AM

I live in Mount Dora, Florida and just last week we had a 57-year-old motorcyclist killed when a 17-year-old tried to straighten out an S-curve on a narrow back road, crossed the centerline and nailed him head-on.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I'm with twowheeaddict on this one. I get the same quick little nervous reaction when unexpectedly meeting a vehicle in blind left handers. Makes me momentarily want to stand the bike up and I have to quickly talk myself into holding course.
I'm actually glad to know it's not just me who gets that feeling.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM

+1 on Marvins advice. Take the course twice if your still not as solid as you want to be. Sooner or later you [email protected] will turn to shiney unflapple brass!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM

It might help to inoculate yourself against target fixation: When entering a curve, point your chin (and your eyes) where you want your front wheel to go. If a vehicle in a curve begins to distract you, or startles you, say out loud, "Look there!" ("There" meaning "where you want your front wheel to go.") Saying it out loud helps.

I say this because I believe the flinch is a brief moment of target fixation. As far as the chin thing goes, I read that advice somewhere -- to point your chin where you want to go. Actively moving your head forces you to focus your eyes on your intended path.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 06-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
It might help to inoculate yourself against target fixation: When entering a curve, point your chin (and your eyes) where you want your front wheel to go. If a vehicle in a curve begins to distract you, or startles you, say out loud, "Look there!" ("There" meaning "where you want your front wheel to go.") Saying it out loud helps.

I say this because I believe the flinch is a brief moment of target fixation. As far as the chin thing goes, I read that advice somewhere -- to point your chin where you want to go. Actively moving your head forces you to focus your eyes on your intended path.
This is probably the best advise yet. Target fixation is a real thing, and a dangerous thing, and something that's hard to get through.
As for taking the MSF course, not to put the course down because going through (or back through) is never a bad idea, it does build confidence but mostly only up to parking lot speeds. It's kind of up to you to learn about target fixation, best lane position, following distance, road conditions and so forth. While the MSF courses touch on these things, there is a lot more to learn and that needs to be done by each rider individually.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Slow down, give yourself time to react, and think of where you could totally bail if you had to if someone is around the next corner in your lane.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post

For me it is not target fixation. It is recognizing a very potential risk and starting to react to the risk while assessing whether it is a real risk or not.

If you ignore that oncoming car that pops out of nowhere you will not be prepared if it crosses the line.

I have ridden most of our country and the blind curves in the east, and the canyons out west are a real danger.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I live in Mount Dora, Florida and just last week we had a 57-year-old motorcyclist killed when a 17-year-old tried to straighten out an S-curve on a narrow back road, crossed the centerline and nailed him head-on.
That is just sickening.

There have been a number of deaths here recently with mature riders getting killed by idiots. I hope my son never rides a motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode