"Long way round" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Long way round"

Anyone on here have Netflix, and see the show they have called "long way round"? I watched the first 3 episodes, and despite the slow start am starting to enjoy it. It is Ewan McGregor and his friend Charlie and they take motorcycles from London to New York by heading east. It is a "reality" show, but seems to actually have some reality in it. Its a hell of a lot better than a lot of the crap out there. So if you have Netflix maybe give it a try, just be aware the real trip doesn't start till episode 2 or 3 but the time building up is pretty entertaining.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 AM

Garage
Watched it years ago,when it was being shown on TV,and really enjoyed it.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Man, where have you been for the past 10 years?
It keeps getting better and better the further into the trip they go. The whole thing is somewhat controversial among the armchair explorers on advrider who criticize them for having a support vehicle and carrying too much stuff, but it makes for great tv.

some years later they also did Long Way Down through Africa. Worth watching but probably not as as good as LWR.

In between those two Charlie also did Race To Dakar where he attempts to ride the Dakar in the one of the last years in Africa. This is really worth watching, more for the inside view of the race than about Charlie's attempt. Not sure if that is on Netflix or not but worth picking up on dvd if you can
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's certainly a lot better than Keeping Up With The Swamp Logger Naked And Afraid Real Housewives Of The Yukon.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM

When you finish long way around, and long way down, watch Faster, Fastest, and dust to glory. 2 awesome motogp flicks and 1 really cool Baja 1000. All are on Netflix. You'll watch them more than once.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 AM

Thumbs up Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
When you finish long way around, and long way down, watch Faster, Fastest, and dust to glory. 2 awesome motogp flicks and 1 really cool Baja 1000. All are on Netflix. You'll watch them more than once.
+1

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Wow didn't realize I was that out of the loop. I will certainly look for all of these. I normally don't watch much TV, but I had nothing going on Saturday night so I decided to see what was on Netflix seeing as I pay for it but rarely use it. Apparently there is decent content out there if you know where to look.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
They also did a sequel. Long way down.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 PM

Long Way Round was better than Long Way Down. imo. I actually just watched both like last month on Netflix; so fun. Great Show, Great Guys, Great Journey.

Parts of it just looked so tough and exhausting; I have a lot of respect for both of them now.

Inspirational stuff

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I have a copy of "LWR" in BC as well as in AZ, so I watch it every-now-and-then.

It's hard enough picking up my Vs when they fall over, but a 1200GS...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Anyone on here have Netflix, and see the show they have called "long way round"? I watched the first 3 episodes, and despite the slow start am starting to enjoy it. It is Ewan McGregor and his friend Charlie and they take motorcycles from London to New York by heading east. It is a "reality" show, but seems to actually have some reality in it. Its a hell of a lot better than a lot of the crap out there. So if you have Netflix maybe give it a try, just be aware the real trip doesn't start till episode 2 or 3 but the time building up is pretty entertaining.
Got it years ago on DVD. And watched Long way down years ago lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:51 AM
MTS

Thanks for the heads up!

We just got Netflix and Amazon Prime!

Have seen hardly any of the movies ect. wow like a kid in a candy store!

Will have a look!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 PM
MTS

Awesome thanks again for bring that up!

About half way through!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Awesome thanks again for bring that up!

About half way through!
The BEST is yet to come!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Garage
After you finish watching LWR pick up the book, makes for an excellent read and provides very interesting supplementary information and back story.

*spoiler alert below*

One thing embarrassing about the TV series is the only two places the boy's had a run in with cars was in my home province of Alberta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode