Just signed up on the UK versys site - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just signed up on the UK versys site

How many people here visit both sites? I never even bothered but while watching andymancam's videos I saw the link and decided to check it out. It is definitely different. I think it has some cool features, but I find it a little harder to use. (metric?) lol. Anyways I was just curious if others use both and their thoughts on the UK site.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM

I use the Versys1000 site which is 90% UK members but a lot more US people showing up now that the big V is available down there.
It's interesting some of the different terms they use. I have to get out my English to English dictionary quite often...

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM

we all need to get on the metric train. Maybe a good learning tool. F the US (and Liberia) for thinking they don't have to use metric. Everything is in series of tens, and it makes MUCH MORE SENSE. But, being a US native, I can't really wrap my head around liters per kilometer, although it should be WAY easier to understand.

Sucks for us. I'll see you over there, Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
we all need to get on the metric train. Maybe a good learning tool. F the US (and Liberia) for thinking they don't have to use metric. Everything is in series of tens, and it makes MUCH MORE SENSE. But, being a US native, I can't really wrap my head around liters per kilometer, although it should be WAY easier to understand.

Sucks for us. I'll see you over there, Ian
Newton-meters of torque?
Nah newtons are cookies
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
How many people here visit both sites? I never even bothered but while watching andymancam's videos I saw the link and decided to check it out. It is definitely different. I think it has some cool features, but I find it a little harder to use. (metric?) lol. Anyways I was just curious if others use both and their thoughts on the UK site.
We are two countries, ... separated by a common language.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The UK do speak of miles, but also Imperial gallons as we are used to in Canada... They like to say "knackered" a lot. You should check out the French European Kawette Versys forum, if you understand French. Now there's some wacky colorful language!

Last edited by invader; 04-14-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. It's very strange for us europeans with metric system to move through miles, yard, inches, pounds, gallons and so forth.
For us is easier understand that 1 km is equal to 1000 mt or 100000 cm instead 1 mi is equal to 1760 yd or 63360 in (1 mt is equal to 100 cm and 1 ft is equal to 12 in).
It's simply complicated!!

The wonderful thing of the metric system is that 1 litre of water (or 1000 ml) is equal to 1 cubic dm (or 1000 cc) and is equal to 1 kg (or 1000 g) .

It's very nice what trialsguy wrote:
Quote:
We are two countries, ... separated by a common language.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 AM

I am in the UK forum as well, it's OK but not so many posts anymore, sometimes just a few per day. Heaps of info if you dig in a bit.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have contributed a few posts to the UK site, mostly regarding the dreaded stator failure. It seems that failures are a lot fewer in UK and I speculated that perhaps it was due to the cooler weather (in summer) there. Definitely not as prevalent as in NA.

There are some very witty, cheeky buggers over there, quite entertaining. I admit to a bias as my mother was English and I have a lot of relatives over 'ome.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Have you checked out their "For Sale" section? Do they have any farkles we can't get here?

I'd still rather have a quarter pounder with cheese than a .1134 Kg puck on a bun...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Being a Brit myself (Thanks for the mention Ian!) I obviously use both forums.

It's great that there are 2 huge sources of info and banter!

Once my German gets better I'll probably use their Versys forum a bit too (I live in Hamburg now).

Definitely a lot more 'action' on this page though. Agreed that the UK is a bit slower. But then, the UK is a LITTLE bit smaller than the US!!

See me on Youtube:
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
...But, being a US native, I can't really wrap my head around liters per kilometer, although it should be WAY easier to understand....
We've been metric in Canada for quite a long time (1975ish?), and I have NO problem w/ MOST of it, but ask me my height or weight - ' and ", and #.

As for gas mileage: they do something called "L/100 kms", which means NOTHING to me, so I ALWAYS mentally work out my mileage to kms/L. THEN I multiply that answer by 2.821 to get mpgImperial, and while I'm in AZ, I multiply THAT by .8 to get mpgUS.

For instance - 250 kms and 11 L = aprox. 23 kms/L, then X 2.8 = aprox. 66 mpgImp X .8 = about 52 mpgUS. (Actually, in AZ I get mpgUS, then multiply that by 1.25 for mpgImperial....)

I just do the math quickly for a "rough" answer.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-15-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
We've been metric in Canada for quite a long time (1975ish?), and I have NO problem w/ MOST of it, but ask me my height or weight - ' and ", and #.

As for gas mileage: they do something called "L/100 kms", which means NOTHING to me, so I ALWAYS mentally work out my mileage to kms/L. THEN I multiply that answer by 2.821 to get mpgImperial, and while I'm in AZ, I multiply THAT by .8 to get mpgUS.

For instance - 250 kms and 11 L = aprox. 23 kms/L, then X 2.8 = aprox. 66 mpgImp X .8 = about 52 mpgUS. (Actually, in AZ I get mpgUS, then multiply that by 1.25 for mpgImperial....)

I just do the math quickly for a "rough" answer.

I have totally embraced metric years ago but also always converted mileage in MPG but since I've had the V1000, you can scroll through the screen to display MPG US MPG IMP km/l or l/100km which I use. Once I got used to it I like it. When I set my trip meter on fill-ups I also look at the AVG l/100km and can quite accurately figure out my remaining range. Ranges from 400 km per tank at 4.6 (61 MPG IMP hwy) to 300 km at 6.2 (45 MPG IMP all city).

2013 Versys1000
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Working in a lab all of our measurements are metric c, mg, g, kg, mm, ml etc. funny thing is I couldn't tell you any conversion off the top of my head except there is about 454g per pound and g/cc to pounds per gallon is g/cc x 0.12

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

kms/L X 2.825 = miles per Imperial gallon.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM

Garage
Simple !

55 mp''us''g is good
5 Liter per 100 Km is good

The rest, useless in everyday life !!!!

LOP
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 AM

I've grown up using a heady mix of imperial and metric.

I know my height in feet and inches, my weight in stones but I do my shopping in kg's.

I also always think about fuel in terms of miles per gallon which is more common in UK than l/100km because we're still using miles and yards (but the UK gallon of 4.5ish litres. ).

But now I live in Germany, it's ALL metric! Though how else would I get to say I legally did '200' on the highway!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Simple !

55 mp''us''g is good

LOP
Exactly, Both available at the push of a button on the V1K .. and,, When the fuel light flashes fill it up

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Simple !

55 mp''us''g is good

LOP
In Italy we use km/lt, we only find lt per 100 km in tecnical sheets of cars and bikes...

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyduck1 View Post
In Italy we use km/lt, we only find lt per 100 km in tecnical sheets of cars and bikes...
I think in Km/lt too, it makes sense and is easy to compute, but don't ask me what I get as it's probably embarrassingly low. I tend to wring the V's neck on most rides, as I like to ride the +6000 rpm power band, and face it, they sound like real motorcycles when ridden that way.

I don't really care what fuel mileage I get on a bike, that's only a concern when driving a cage. It's smiles per mile for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode