Crashes and laydowns you walked away from - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crashes and laydowns you walked away from

If its already bin done...tear it down ADMIN...if not I felt it may be informative to others and help us to see possible situations before they become deadly.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

My first crash

I'M speeding through town on a two lane highway with left turn lanes at the intersections...a buddy is on the bike with me(it's my first bike the T-500..SHES A BIG 500 LB PIG)..as we were scooting up the outside lane between parked cars and the inside lane...we're approaching an intersection when the light turns green ...the one car in the right hand laneis signalling for a right turn ...he proceeds to turn a then suddenly stops...for a pedestrian that he did'nt see to begin with... so I swerve a bit left(dotted liner) bet my highway peg crash bar just clips the rear bumper and folds up...we fall overnearly under the wheels of a dumptruck in the left turn lane....I got a couple bruises and a sore right wrist...of course i had my buddies weight on me too..as he was thrown forward into me...MY lesson learned was don't make your bike any wider than it is by like installing crash bars.....YOU MIGHT JUST C R A S H.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Well, I'm next.
I've had three.
Walked away from all three, well crawled away from one. I was wearing a helmet two times.

1977, the year I graduated from high school I had bought my first street bike. It was a low speed laydown in the rain. I was on a 71 Sportster riding home from work in a real frog strangler. Four lane divided highway just coming out of Bonner Springs KS there are is a railroad spur that crosses the road at about a 45 degree angle. I was doing about 15 mph as I accelerated away from a stop lights, front wheel decided to follow the rails and I lost it on the low side. Bike was a little damaged, but I rode it home. Only damage to me was some road rash on my ass and thigh.

Second was on the same bike about 2 years later. I had been working on the carb and went out for a ride around the block to test it. Neighbors dog did not like motorcycles, but was always fenced. One day I came up the hill and dog had escaped his fenced yard. He ran to intercept and chase me but overshot his mark and I hit him and went down on the sandy street right past my house. I crawled away from that one. I was wearing no helmet and only a t-shirt. Only damage to me was lots of embedded sand in the road rash on my left forearm and elbow. The doc scrubbed the sand out with a scrubrush and an iodine solution. Still brings tears to my eyes when I think about how that hurt. The bike suffered a bit more, lots of scuffs, bent bars and pegs, broken levers, headlight, etc.

The last one, I was very lucky. 1985 I was riding a familiar road late at night, popped up over a hill and encountered a pulling out in front of me, blocking both lanes of the narrow road. I think the driver froze when he seen me. No place to go, as either side of the road had a steep ditch with trees. The car was pulling out of an apartment complex and both were so drunk they had no idea where they were. I hit the brakes and laid the bike down, just as I hit the car broadside. I don't know how I survived that. The bike, a 1978 HD SuperGlide was considered a total loss by the insurance company. Helmet had severe scrapes and I had some road rash, was treated by paramedics but declined going to the hospital. The next day I was not walking, but was thinking dying would have been less painful. I did end up going to the doc and he diagnosed several sprains and a possible concussion. The two in the car went to jail.

Since then I've had many bikes and have ridden more than a hundred thousand miles without any serious incidents.
I put 103,000 on the HD ElectraGlide Classic that replaced the SuperGlide without a single problem.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Last edited by bscott; 03-29-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM

long story short: distraction + sand in a curve.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Have another

I'm going to work one rainy morning on my '81 GS750. I'm headed outta town only one last stoplight so my speed is increasing..probably about 40-45mph. I needed to slow a little as the guy making a left at the intersection ahead is a little slow making his turn and I'm in his inside lane behind him a ways....I ever so lightly touched the rear brake and instantly found myself going down the road totally sideways(90 degrees)...my front wheel still pointing in the direction of travel....after numerous gentle efforts on the throttle to right myself(everyone in the cars around me looking on in disbelief...I'm lookin' right at the guy beside me in his car) it eventually righted itself just as I passed through the intersection and continued on my way to work a little shaken and much more carefully.
WHAT I LEARNED...
1.THE APPROACH TO INTERSECTIONS AND THE INTERSECTIONS THEMSELVES ARE VERY OILY AND WHEN IT RAINS IT AMPLIFIES THE SLICKNESS AND
2. ITS PROBABLY BEST TO WORK THE BRAKES A LOT INITIALLY... WHEN ITS RAINING(ESPECIALLY DISCS) BEFORE YOU'RE GOING TO NEED THEM ...TO DRY 'EM OFF A BIT AND TO CHECK ROAD SLICKNESS AND
3. DON'T PANIC

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 03-30-2010 at 12:48 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 AM

Side swiped by an SUV the night before my road test. Got up swinging and did the test the next day. Leg was swollen and I lost some points putting my foot down in the u-turn after a cramp. I must say that old Interceptor was heavy lying on my leg doing 50 klms/hr down the road.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 AM

I had one yesterday with the Versys.

I was going down the boulevard towards an intersection when a woman from opposite direction decided to take a left turn in front of me. She was hesitant at first so I honked the horn to get her attention but suddenly, still without looking, she decided to gas it and I T-boned her in the right door.
I went over the bars and hit the car with my head and tumbled down. Gear did it's thing and I was completely unharmed. I can't be sure, but it felt like a strong blow to the head, yet I wasn't fuzzy or disoriented at all. Thank you Schubeth helmets. Got up immediately and started yelling etc...
Bike didn't fair so well. Wheel and forks seem ok for now but everything made of plastic exploded: front fender, both upper cowlings, headlight and entire headlight assembly and support, windshield, dash seems bent don't know for now. After the initial T-bone impact bike fell on it's left side and crash bars did their job there. Hand guards also protected clutch lever but the bars are bent.

Bike is now in intensive care at the mechanic and I'll see what (woman's) insurance has to say. They are notorious for underscoring these things based on vehicle age. Mine is '07. model.
Hoping for the best...

Cheers.

Last edited by Ivan V; 03-30-2010 at 02:30 AM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 AM

I had the most stupid one ever, on a Jinlun 11 , 125cc. Came around a corner onto a main rd, but as it connects there is a pedestrian crossing right in front. The car in front of me did an emergency stop to let someone cross, and since I was looking back to see if anyone was coming so that I could join the rd and moving at the same time(very slowly I might add) I went straight into the back of the car. Sprained my thumb (not sure if I fractured it as it hurt for a long time afterwards, bike fell over, but luckily no damage.

Another time I was following a friend who was in a car, she went over a speed bump, I went over after it and for some stupid reason stood up as I went over, my line of sight went down to the road, when I looked up the car in front has stopped! I braked hard but was stood up still, went down, scraped my leg, hurt my thumb(this time on other hand) and broke and indicator. The next day I had my bike exam, and had to cancel as it hurt to much to even use the clutch! DOH
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
long story short, 22 years ago, suzuki DR 500 grl on back, showing off doing a doughtnut on gravel, overcooked badly, bike on top with legs all marked up with gravel, yelled out girl to get bike off me, she yelled back louder you on me dummy, married girl and still married but she not forgot so she now has her own bike, end of story.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Falling off my bike....

1966, Honda 305 Scrambler. My Sister's boyfriend drove the bike home for me. My very first time sitting on the bike, up on center stand stand. I am going through the gears and "WAM". I am going down the driveway, accross the street , into the neighbors front porch.... broken foot.
1984, Air Force, England. I already have a BMW r/750 but get a Goldwing anyway. Within a week I ride through a pile of gravel along the side of the road and wreck the bike... ME ... 5 right shoulder operations.
2006, BMW R1150rt . Arkansas. Hit loose gravel from a dirt road and bike slides out from under me. Bike... some small scratches.... me... broke all my left ribs.
I ride a Venture now and got my Versys 3 weeks ago.

Cb
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM

was heading south on the BRP on my 92 goldwing, went into a curve, hit a dip, the front tired flattened on the rim.. the instant i hit the gravel shoulder it was all over, i got pitched, sliding in the grass, bike hit my head, then it hit a stump and flips in the air just missing me, i must have slid 20 feet in the grass and rolled me right up on my feet ( i was wearing full leathers that day, not a scratch...had to duct tape a 2 inch hole in the valve cover, pump the tire and rode it 120 miles home..bike was trashed but repairable, mostly plastic damage...
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

One more..........for the road..............My little brother and I (HE'S ON THE t-500 WITH ME) WERE DOIN' A LITTLE TRAIL RIDIN' near town......on our way back to civilization there is a huge steep hill(DOWN)with lots of erosion I wiped us out....just scuffs ....we had fun anyways....Draw your own conclusions on this one........

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM

where to start, first one I remember, I was on my Honda C90 heading toward a trail on the beach which I had done a few times before, this time at the start of the trail there was a steel cable across it, I slammed on the brakes but the cable hit my front tire, bounced up and hit my headlight [didn't break it] bounced over and hit me on the chest, I didn't let go of the handlebars right away and pulled the bike up into a huge wheelie while I stayed on the cable, when I could breathe again the bike was lying in the road and after picking it up and knocking a few bent pieces straight I continued on up the trail, another time I was on my Honda 65 step thru, I was on fresh pea gravel and this dog came out to do his dog thing, as he was barking at my legs I kicked at him so hard I knocked myself off my bike, by the time I got up off the road I wanted to kill the dog but he wisely disappeared, there's been a few more over the years but you don't have time read them all and I don't have time to write it right now, maybe later
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM

Shared this one before;

Coming back from a trip up the AL-Can to Alaska. I was riding a 2004 Kaw Vulcan 1500 loaded with gear and myself at about 900 lbs. I had been going in and out of nasty, all out, full bore, everything mother nature had, epic, traffic stopping thunderstorms for two days. Geared up and ready for the next onslaught I was on a causeway crossing a lake with 15 foot drop off on both sides. Saw the water being whip up out on the lake to my right and watched in amazement as calm water became 2-3 foot waves.

I didn't realize the hurricane force wind that was pushing this storm. Suddenly I was broadsided by the wind and pushed hard right toward the 15 foot drop off with the lake below. I made the decision that I wasn't going over the edge so I threw the bike down hard left. Better asphalt then murky depths. The wind was blowing so hard that my bike and I literally bounced off the wind and came right back up. The problem with this was that I was still tavelling too fast and could not get stopped before going over the edge.

So I threw it down a second time, bounced off the wind and got pushed closer to the edge.
And a third time I threw it down, and bounced back up off the wind, but I was finally slow enough to get stopped, sitting on the gravel just 15 inches from the edge and a 15 ft drop off into the lake.

After I quit shaking and the rain slowed so I could see the other side of the road, I pulled into a construction site and huddled under some equipment for 45 minutes while the rain blew sideways.

I always figure that was the day I landed in the hand of God. Three times.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

1981gs750

Brand new bike(used..couple years old)......hit the liquor store on the way home..........kick stand didn't lock down......by the time i got to the door it was on its side.....WHAT I LEARND.....

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 AM

low side on track , beware cold tires (woodcraft frame sliders saved the bike), thanks to garb slid and walked away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX6 pics 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	932.2 KB
ID:	5992  

Versys Blue 2009
ZX6R 2007 (sold)
CBR f4i 2006 (sold)
Yamaha V-Star 650 2003 (sold)
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Just last Sunday, a little too fast, but mostly a very poor road position on my part, a very nice long down hill left sweeper, and why am I all the way to the right? off on to some soft leafy sandy shoulder,straightened the bike right up, but some trees were comming at me at around 40, I stayed calm, added some even braking, but the front hit a real soft patch as I turned to get back on pavement, and I cartwheeled,slamming down on my right shoulder and hip, had all the right gear on, it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE OUT COME! missed a couple days of work, broken ribs,a few very insane bruises, but lucky, and learnd a bunch of good lessons.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawamikey View Post
Just last Sunday, a little too fast, but mostly a very poor road position on my part, a very nice long down hill left sweeper, and why am I all the way to the right? off on to some soft leafy sandy shoulder,straightened the bike right up, but some trees were comming at me at around 40, I stayed calm, added some even braking, but the front hit a real soft patch as I turned to get back on pavement, and I cartwheeled,slamming down on my right shoulder and hip, had all the right gear on, it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE OUT COME! missed a couple days of work, broken ribs,a few very insane bruises, but lucky, and learnd a bunch of good lessons.
Glad you are alright, what is the state of the bike?
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM

I have been down 4 times. 2 lowsides in full gear where I got up and kept riding. Just pushing too hard on twisty roads. Lowsided once because of dip in the pavement during a good lean angle. Full gear except for jeans. Bloody knee. And my favorite, right after I got the V I decided to ride if off a sidewalk. My knee gave out (I was standing) and I fell and chopped open the throttle and fell over. Some paserby helped me pick it up. Again, full gear except for jeans. Bloody knee.

A pic of the SV after a lowside. The V didn't get any damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	busted up.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	6234  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Very hot day today(30+) so I go for an evening ride..lots of riders out to do the same...I'm just cooling down...takin' it easy(full gear) its warm. There is lots of traffic and stoplights every 500 feet or so...6 lane road at intersections(including turning lanes).Buddy goes by me on a black beauty Triumph 675 Triple. By the next set of lights I look ahead in horror to see him doin' an Ollie into the back of a car...I pulled over to see if any assistance was needed...buddy and his bike seemed OK other than his right leg/knee(stiff) ...and a bad little scuff on the upper left side of the cowling....he was only wearing jeans and a t-shirt and he wouldn't accept any help to push the bike off to the side to collect himself and check for damage...I do hope he got home okay as he just fired her back up again in the middle of traffic and a cloud of smoke without even checking for front end damage...I suppose I should have been more forceful in getting him to push the bike to the side but I didn't know he would take off without checking it out a bit first! In the end I'm not sure if it was his fault or perhaps the lady didn't accelerate away quickly enough from the green light (I've seen that one before)...coincidentally it was at the same intersection where I'd had a bad stop 4 weeks back due to a too aggressive a stop and not holding onto the handlebars tightly enough of all things(rookie move...ineptness)

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode