There are a lot of sick people out there - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There are a lot of sick people out there

When I was a child, riding in the back of my father's big Pontiac Station wagon, I remember the ride was fun for about 30 minutes; after that, I just wanted to get out. Sure, it was fun sliding around on that big metal floor every time we made a turn, but I always felt a little queasy. As I got older, I graduated to the back seat of that rolling tank. However, even though I was only sliding on one axis instead of two by sitting on that plush vinyl seat, I still felt queasy...maybe even more so. It wasn't until I grew a bit more, got a little taller and when I could clearly see outside the windows, that the queasiness started to go away.

Many years passed since then, and it wasn't until recently that I ever gave it another thought. You know, I know of many people who get motion sickness in a car, including my wife (she is only 4'11.5"); yet I have never heard of anyone getting motion sickness on a motorcycle (although I am sure there are a few). As a side note; animals have a high tendency to get sick in a car as well. Being that it is so much more common for people in a car, I wondered why this is.

In 1999, a study was done in the UK that suggests motion sickness is directly related to your view outside the vehicle. Could that be a subconscious reason never want to drive anything but motorcycles once we get on them? I used to wear a full-faced helmet. True, it is safer and quieter; but for the past few years, I have only worn 3/4 helmets. My 3/4 helmet gives me 100% FOV (Field of View). I find myself much more relaxed when I am driving with a 3/4 helmet, as opposed to a full-faced helmet.

This brings me to my last thought: Some of the American auto manufacturers (Dodge and Chevrolet come to mind) have been producing vehicles in the past few years that have a much higher belt line and smaller windows. Sure, this looks really cool, but I imagine that most of the people driving them are not as happy driving them as say a simple Honda Civic, or some other vehicle with large windows. The last time I had to rent a vehicle, I walked up to the Emerald Isle and found a new fleet of Dodge and Chevy vehicles. I thought to myself, "this is my chance to take that Chevy HHR on a weekend run". I sat down in the driver seat, and it didn't take me 10 seconds to get a sinking feeling. I immediately got out and chose a drab 4-door sedan.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter how cool a car looks or handles if you have poor visibility. It isn't just for safety, but also for the way it makes you feel inside.

For those of you interested in reading the study, you can find it here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10048305

Texas

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Givi Shield, Givi PLX V35 Side Cases, Givi V46 Top Case, Powered Tank Bag, Corbin Seat, RAM Mounts, Venhill SS Smoke Brake Lines, HID 5000K/3000K, LED Marker Lights

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Loaded

"There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from." - The endearing Forrest Gump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Makes sense to me...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 PM

A couple things just clicked for me in that post Thank-you TEXAS it makes 100% perfect sense!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 PM

I agree 100%. Even the A pillars are thicker and can obscure the view in cross walks and corners. One of the nicest cars I've had was a 740 Volvo wagon. Thing was all glass without any blind spots. Loved that car! It's become a case of form over function I'm afraid.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 AM

That's why I like my Miata. LOTS of breathing room. Unless I have to drive with the top up. Then it's loud and really, really small on the inside which is, unfortunately, a better place to drive than the outside.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit View Post
That's why I like my Miata. LOTS of breathing room. Unless I have to drive with the top up. Then it's loud and really, really small on the inside which is, unfortunately, a better place to drive than the outside.
I too had a Miata (MX5 as they are called Down Under - North America is just catching up) and agree they are claustrophobic with the roof up - but then so are most soft top convertibles.

That is why my cage is a VW EOS - the only hard top convertible in the world with a sunroof - that way I still get extra light even when it is raining - which it is quite often on the Wet Coast.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I too had a Miata (MX5 as they are called Down Under - North America is just catching up)
BigAussie,

It's a '95. It'll ALWAYS be a Miata.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit View Post
It's a '95. It'll ALWAYS be a Miata.
It was a '99 and it was a MX5 (in Oz)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode