Another Runaway Toyota...... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Runaway Toyota......

Seeing all of these Toyotas take off on their own just reminds me of how happy I am to drive a motorcycle or scooter. Every year these cars get more and more "conveniences". Sounds nice, but it only creates more points of failure. Electronic steering, Cars that see in the dark, Cars that recognize when you are not paying attention, to cars that park themselves. Personally, I think we are rushing technology without first throughly testing it in every type of situation just to increase sales. Manufacturers love nothing more than for the American consumer to trade in their car every year for the next model that has some fancy new gadget, like an MP3 connection.

I guess thats one of the reasons why I love motorcycles so much. They don't get dated so fast. I hope thats the way it stays for as long as I am on this earth. I don't need all of those toys to distract me from the real task at hand.

Just my .02

Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Hello Tex, welcome aboard! And just where in Texas are you?

...why do I get the feeling you're gonna say New York City??

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

"There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from."

Actually, I am in Houston. Thanks for the welcome. I don't have a Versys yet, but I am hoping to get one soon. It will be a sister bike to my Burgman 650 Exec. The Burgman is great for just about anything, but it is lacking in the suspension department. Those 200+ mile trips on some of our back-roads can wear you out. However, I have driven it 1000+ miles in just 17 hours. The Versys is a awesome machine though, and I must have one.

Texas
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Tex...The one thing I am damn sure I watch out for when I am on the V is Priuses... Especially if one is behind me

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

Last edited by contractor; 03-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I think Toyota should make ejection seats standard on all of their new vehicles. What is funny is that just yesterday Toyota was saying that the Professor's finding that a short could happen and make the vehicle run out of control could "never happen". I hope Mr. Toyoda's shoe isn't too big. It would be a real shame if it got permanently stuck in there.

Now I am not saying that it is a electrical short that is causing the problem, buuuttt, when you have so many people having these problems, not to mention the deaths, I think it is Toyota's responsibility to do a LOT more research before coming out with their findings. What did it take, a whole week before they came back to say that it could not happen? Also, they need to offer some sort of prorated refund to your customers to give them the option of not driving the car if they are concerned that the same thing might happen to them. I feel sorry for those Toyota owners who are now stuck with driving a vehicle that are even more financially upside down in, due to what I am sure has resulted in a decrease in the value of their car.

Instead, Toyota comes out with a 0% interest on "certain vehicles" to just sell more runaway cars. Oh, thank you Mr. Toyoda. Can I buy three of them? Corporations world wide need to start taking more responsibility. They have all clearly forgotten where they came from.

By the way, is there something in the air in San Diego? I lived there for 4 years, but none of my vehicles that I owned while I was there suddenly decided to commit suicide.

Okay, maybe just my .03,

Texas

Last edited by Texas; 03-09-2010 at 11:26 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...prius-18532697

I just cant understand why you need so much afford to stop a runaway car. All you need is to drop the gear to N and just pull aside.

Hope this is not some bad imaging TOYOTA move. I dont like Jap car but than they are cheap.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Normally I would agree with you, but I don't think you have ever driven a Prius. These cars are in a class all by themselves. The gear shift is not mechanical. It is 100% electronic, so if things ain't workin' right, then you are at the mercy of what Mr. Prius feels like doing. Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a very cool car. I have driven one on a few occasions, but there is a reason why they have the highest insurance costs. You know, if you look on eBay and Craigslist, at least 50% of the Prius' for sale have a salvaged title. Like a motorcycle or a commercial vehicle, this vehicle should require a special endorsement before people are legally able to drive this vehicle. For starters, the vehicle does not have a "Park" gear...only neutral. Countless people have put this vehicle in "Park", only to get out of their vehicle and watch their Prius roll away.

Was he acting? Maybe, but he didn't look like a stupid guy, and I think with all of the attention that he knew this was going to get, he knew the truth will come out. What would he stand to gain by lieing? Unless he is lobbying for a reality TV show, I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks. Everyone still remembers the trouble Richard Heene got into.

All of that being said, I think the guy who had the problem recently had a real problem. A CHP saw the vehicle's brake's a smokin', and saw the man standing completely on his brakes. I think the guy did a great job of getting it stopped, and that it took a lot of strength and weight. If that had been a woman, there would probably be a lot of people in mourning today.

Texas
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Texas

Got to agree with you. I dont drive a Toyota P but a Camry. so all things said, I will have to agree with your comments..

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 AM

Can't you just turn off the ignition?

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM

From what I have read you can't turn it off, can't put it in neutral and it keeps accelerating. You can put on the brakes, but the brakes must be from a go kart cause in all cases the brakes cooked out...The family that was killed in San Diego was being driven by a CHP officer of 20 years...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Well thoughts about Toyota's problem, end of the day I rather be riding my V with my gang. Let the congress and Toyota hand the problem with the owner. BTW I do have a Toyota Camry.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM

If I were in the market for a new car I'd go out and buy a Toyota. You should be able to get a good deal.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Toyota claimed to have found and fixed the problem. A faulty floor mat? Add a metal plate behind the drive-by-wire's accelerator pedal... The problem is not electronic... We are working hard at determining the cause to cure the problem...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM

I have a 07 tundra with 137000 miles and they did something to my pedal the last time I had the oil changed. Now they have sent out another recall, Hopefully it will be good for another 150k. Surely mine was fine to start with. My dad always said don't fix it if it works. Hope they know what there doing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

And people are always telling me how dangerous it is to drive a motorcycle

Texas

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Givi Shield, Givi PLX V35 Side Cases, Givi V46 Top Case, Powered Tank Bag, Corbin Seat, RAM Mounts, Venhill SS Smoke Brake Lines, HID 5000K/3000K, LED Marker Lights

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Loaded

"There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from." - The endearing Forrest Gump
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

Toyota says the guys was lying.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Technologically Overriding Your Objection To Acceleration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode