Winter Riders only! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Winter Riders only!

I saw this on another board and thought I'd share.

For Winter Riders Only
by William Girolamo

You know itís cold out when it takes you longer to dress for the ride than it does to take the ride.

You know itís cold out when youíd rather spend Sunday afternoon watching an old Jerry Lewis movie than riding your bike.

You know itís cold out when itís Saturday afternoon, you have nothing to do, your bike is out in the garage filthy, and you have no intention of going out to clean it.

You know itís cold out when you have to heat a bucket of water up on the stove before going out to wash your bike.

You know itís cold out when you have to come inside every five minutes to thaw out your hands while you are washing your bike.

You know itís cold out when you want to lube your chain, but the lube wonít come out of the can.

You know itís cold out when you canít throw your leg over the saddle because you have too many layers of clothing on.

You know itís cold out when your electric starter sounds like a Waring blender trying to mix a cup full of cement.

You know itís cold out when you can fully appreciate the fact that you were able to start your machine before the battery went dead.

You know itís cold out when you pull in the clutch, shift into first, and the bike jumps forward three feet.

You know itís cold out when your boots are so thick that you canít fit your foot under the shift lever to upshift.

You know itís really cold out when the feeling in your hands and feet is just a fond memory.

You know itís really cold out when your hands develop an intimate relationship with the hotter parts of your engine at every stop light.

You know itís really cold out when 40 MPH brings on Excedrin headache number 13.

You know itís extremely cold out when youíre coming to a stop light and you have to concentrate really hard on getting your feet off the pegs and onto the ground.

You know itís extremely cold out when the light turns green, and thereís nothing you can do about it.

You know itís extremely cold out when you envy the guy sitting in the car next to you.

You know itís extremely cold out when for a fleeting instant you feel that four wheels are in fact better than two.

You know itís incredibly cold out when youíve been riding for a good two hours, glance at your watch and realize that itís only been twenty minutes.

You know itís incredibly cold out when every biker on the road waves to every other biker, regardless of brand or displacement.

You know itís incredibly cold out when you want to wave to the other biker but you canít separate your hand from the grip.

You know itís incredibly cold out when a ride consists of short runs between coffee shops.

You know itís incredibly cold out when youíre trying not to breathe because your breath keeps fogging up your face shield.

You know itís unbelievably cold out when you decide that a windshield and fairing are the greatest accessories ever designed for a motorcycle.

You know itís unbelievably cold out when your ride is over and youíve got to get someone to come out and help you pry your fingers loose from the handle bars.

You know itís unbearably cold out when you want to shoot anyone who so much as mentions the word winter with anything other than a tone of disgust in his voice.

You know itís ridiculously cold out when that miserable, uncomfortable, torturous, ass-freezing ride was the high point of your week and you canít wait for a chance to get out there again and freeze your buns off.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, I like Jerry Lewis movies.

Funny stuff though. It does take a while to dress for it, so I don't do short rides or errands where I have to go inside.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Forgot to take off my glasse & open the face shield before walking into the house after a 15 deg ride. Shield frosted & froze to the helmet almost instantly.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:21 AM

None of the "washing" stuff applies to me, I don't wash in the winter.
My commute is 25 minutes, it does take me nearly that long to get dressed and undressed every day.
I know of only one other guy around me that rides all year, all weather, he rides some kind of cruiser and wears military camo Gortex coveralls. We've passed each other going opposite directions many a day. I've wanted to turn around, chase him down and shake his hand, I probably will someday.
My hat's off to the scooter guys. I see a lot of scooters on the roads long after most motorcycles are on battery chargers.
I would like to add another line to the list.
You know it's cold when you get off the bike and ice crumbles off your gloves. I've had that happen twice on my way to work.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM

"You know it’s extremely cold out when the light turns green, and there’s nothing you can do about it."

Been there.....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Time...

GREAT post!!!

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Freddy I stole it like I posted!

Worst ride that I ever did was in Indy. My heated gear died about 25 miles from home...it was 15. I was on my Buell and there was no windshield at all and I swear I had to ride across Siberia to get home. I was shaking so bad I could hardly get the key in the door at home.

BUT I learned, I will NEVER trust heated gear again...I ALWAYS take extra gear in the bags and the little "Heat Packs" in case that heated junk take's a dump on me!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 12-19-2014 at 05:04 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 PM

been seriously cold many times but only got hypothermic on spring and fall rides.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got hypothermia while (inflatable) kayaking the Grande Ronde River in N.E. Oregon a very log time ago..and once when my car broke down in Montana during a snow storm...It's not a lot of fun...I've got heated gear..NEVER again...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I got hypothermia while (inflatable) kayaking the Grande Ronde River in N.E. Oregon a very log time ago..and once when my car broke down in Montana during a snow storm...It's not a lot of fun...I've got heated gear..NEVER again...

Lost count of incidents while diving...the stage just before you doze off is kind of interesting. Re-warming can also prove fatal.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM

been hypothermic before from a bad fishing trip - when you are so cold that you stop shivering and are struggling not to fall asleep... danger zone. sat in my truck with the heat blasting for a good 30 minutes before I started shivering again.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM
RMS

Back in the 70,s,, i was leaving work one nite and got cought by an ice storm &*%#
i road the bus to and from work for the rest of the week.
Try jumping in to a hot bath after that kind of a ride ---- PIN`s and NEEDLES
Now I am a wossie,, i check with NOAH weather before my ride
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Hot water and hypothermia are a bad mix.
Your body reduces blood flow the the extremites in order to keep the heat in your core.
When you warm up too quickly all that cold blood moves to the core & brain...next stop is cardiac arrrest. Hypothermic victims should be warmed slowly. Then you're just slightly itchy for a while. My wife is surprised every time I make it through another winter without something falling off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode