Going back on the road - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Going back on the road

Well, 50 years old and I'm thinking about going back to driving a truck. I've worked for a truck driving school for about 6-7 years now. I was a truck driving instructor for about 4 years and I've been supervising the truck driving program and managing the bus transportation program for about 2.5 years. About a year ago the program hit a snag that I'm not sure it will recover from and about 6 months ago I got into a vacation dispute with my supervisor's manager. My supervisor ultimately quit over her antics and I decided to stick it out to see what happens. Well what happened is my work schedule was changed to working every weekend and things have been pretty tense since then, it's time for me to leave.
It seems I'm not an inside office kind of guy anyway. Before I drove I was a supervisor in a warehouse office, that lasted about 2.5 years before I took an outside job and started driving. I feel claustrophobic.
For you guys that drive, or have driven, you know what a change it is. My wife completely hates the idea but I'm not sure I want to deal with anymore office politics and office pussies.
I'm not going OTR, I'll find something where I'm home every day but I also know it'll mean 14 hour days. I can also find something that'll have me off on the weekends. Something I've been wanting to do for a couple of years now is be a MSF rider coach but my work circumstances have not allowed it. Now I have the opportunity to choose my work schedule.
Anyway, just had to vent. This isn't a move too sure about but I'll do what I need to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Trash Truck Drivers make good money.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Trash Truck Drivers make good money.
They don't do too bad. Oddly enough, when I was a young kid I wanted to be a trash man so I could drive one of those cool trucks and hang on the back while they drive around. Not many people can say they are doing their childhood dream job.
Good pay, decent benefits, no tie, regular hours, no boardroom meetings, job security, low stress, no umbilical cell phone, getting to drive a rolling trash compactor with hydraulic arms. What's not to like. If it weren't for the smell I would be all over that.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
They don't do too bad. Oddly enough, when I was a young kid I wanted to be a trash man so I could drive one of those cool trucks and hang on the back while they drive around. Not many people can say they are doing their childhood dream job.
Good pay, decent benefits, no tie, regular hours, no boardroom meetings, job security, low stress, no umbilical cell phone, getting to drive a rolling trash compactor with hydraulic arms. What's not to like. If it weren't for the smell I would be all over that.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sph...&item_page.rr2

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

The way my sinuses have been acting lately I don't think I would need those.
I was more referring to the way I would smell at the end of the day though.

Many years ago I had a job running a plastic extrusion machine. The place always smelled like burnt plastic. I couldn't tell how bad I smelled until I got home and stripped for a shower. When I would pick up the cloths to wash them it hit me how bad I must've smelled.
The good thing is, I got over it by the time my paycheck hit the bank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 AM
MTS

Good luck Ray!

In whatever you choose!

I just changed my location, what I am doing full time, and when I hit the rockin chair I'll be able to say well I tried it!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Good luck Ray!

In whatever you choose!

I just changed my location, what I am doing full time, and when I hit the rockin chair I'll be able to say well I tried it!
This last class, we just had a guy come through to get his CDL just because it's something he has been wanting to do. He is 86. The guy was a writer, had a couple degrees, has done a lot of different things in his life, but driving a big truck was on his bucket list.
Good for him that he was able to do it but I hope he knows he shouldn't make it a career at this point in his life.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Little bit of an update.
As this thread has stated, I'm pretty much done at my current employer, I'm sick of office politics, I'm sick of having a company phone with me and being on-call pretty much all the time. This summer my work schedule was changed to include every Saturday and Sunday and I'm not appreciating that much. Now the whole future of my department isn't certain and everyone has gotten pretty weird about it, lots of decisions that I don't agree with and it's not getting better. I've got almost 7 years invested but I'm most certainly ready to leave.
I was really wanting to go back on the road, driving a truck again but another opportunity has come up that seems like the "smart, responsible" thing to do. I'm going for an interview for PennDot as a license branch examiner. It's a state job with state benefits and pension (something most trucking outfits don't offer) but it makes about 15% less than I get now and about 25% less than I can easily make driving. Not a big deal by itself but the thing that's bothering me more than anything is the Tuesday-Saturday work week. I was finally looking forward to doing something I've been wanting to do but wasn't able to with my current schedule, I've been wanting to be a RiderCoach for the MSF course. I can't do that if I work the weekends.
Someone please tell me a cushy state job with benefits, pension and regular hours is worth giving up my hope of being a rider coach.
I'm getting too old to keep making stupid decisions, I just don't know what is a stupid decision anymore.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM

Garage
Both of my parents are retired state workers.
They dI'd not make a killing while working for 30+yrs, but we where always pretty good.
Now with the retirement they take in, I see what was so awesome for there career path.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:25 AM

Good luck on your interview.

I've worked for NY State for over 30 years and it's worked out well for me. I always considered a state job as the 'safe' way to go. In NY we get good benefits, a reliable paycheck, a decent pension, quite a few paid holidays and a generous amount of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave each year.

Is all this worth giving up your desire to be a MSF Rider Coach? Well, only you can decide that.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post
Good luck on your interview.

I've worked for NY State for over 30 years and it's worked out well for me. I always considered a state job as the 'safe' way to go. In NY we get good benefits, a reliable paycheck, a decent pension, quite a few paid holidays and a generous amount of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave each year.

Is all this worth giving up your desire to be a MSF Rider Coach? Well, only you can decide that.

Thank you.
I hate interviews but the good thing is I interviewed for the same job about 3 years ago, I was offered the job and turned it down to stay where I'm at now. Hind sight being 20/20, that was a mistake. I'm currently a government employee in another state so I won't gain any benefits by changing jobs, I'll just lose money and vacation. You know, the whole "starting over" thing is a little rough.
After sleeping on it, I've determined I can't let the Rider Coach job influence my full time career choice.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Not sure exactly what your situation is but if you're already a gov't employee, would it be possible to simply transfer to another Department or Agency? I've done that a couple of times in order to get a fresh start.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post
Not sure exactly what your situation is but if you're already a gov't employee, would it be possible to simply transfer to another Department or Agency? I've done that a couple of times in order to get a fresh start.
I'm actually a county employee in a different state now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Well, 50 years old and I'm thinking about going back to
From one Ray to another, at 55 I shut down my company, and went with a bigger related firm looking for that to be my exit stratedgy. That went sideways in less than a year so I joined some friendly competitors and have been here for 6 years. I have not gotten some of what was originally agreed to, have issues with some personnel and feel a general lack of respect. So, at the age of 62 I'm going back on my own in the next couple of weeks. Change should be embraced, not feared. It makes us smarter and stronger.

Good luck on the new venture, and if that doesn't work, keep moving on. Being happy and avoiding stress is worth a lot of money and fringe benifits. And remember, its about effective age, not chronological age.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode