Stupidity on 2 wheels - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stupidity on 2 wheels

I love a good story. Was swapping a few with some buddies the other day and thought - given the cast of characters on this site there's got to be some good ones (like the guy who dropped his cigar recently). Since it's winter here in Siberia and I got time on my hands, perhaps a good time to write a few down and read a few of yours. Here's my best one...

When I was 19, my father showed a complete lack of good judgement (thanks Dad!) in financing my purchase of a 1979 Suzuki GS1000S (yeah, the blue and white Wes Cooley one). In it's day, one of the fastest bikes available, just perfect for a teenage numbskull like me. No riding gear, JC Whitney helmet, etc. Between my house and work was a very nice right - left - right set of fairly tight S curves, with a swamp on the left and houses on the right. Of course, great fun for seeing how fast you can get thru it.

So, one day, I head off to work, giving her my usual hell. First right - no problem. Hard into the left (you probably know where this is heading now) - I hear a grinding noise and bike won't turn. You got it - kickstand is down. I'm probably doing 60mph, can't stop, and running out of road. In front of me, a 4 foot deep ditch, a big brick wall from someones driveway, and a bunch of trees. There is a narrow gap between the trees, so I get hard on the brakes, scrub off some speed, and aim for it. Don't remember much after that, just ending up upright WAY out in some guys yard and waving to his neighbor as I turned around and went out his driveway (shaking like a leaf). Not a scratch on me or the bike - just a divot in the guys yard and a clump of grass stuck to the kickstand. The luck of youth I guess. Good thing I wasn't coming home from work, or my leap offroad would have been right into the swamp - been hard to explain that one to the old man.

So...what do you got? Preferably stories with (fairly) happy endings...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM

It was 1979 for me. Newly assigned Airman in Washington DC. Had my trusty 1978 GS750E with me from Upstate New York. Had a lot of fun and close calls. Anyway, it was a sunny afternoon in the summer and I was heading out to the falls in Maryland. As I accelerated on the access ramp to the beltway, approaching 70 mph or so, a pickup truck driver decided at the last minute to take the exit immediately ahead by swerving over two lanes. Well, the pickup wasn't in very good repair and the sudden lane change apparently over taxed the rusty bolts holding the muffler clamps. The truck was about 50 feet in front of me when the muffler broke free. It bounced and cartwheeled about 6 feet in the air. I jinked a little harder to the left and turned my head as the muffler passed in front of my eyes. The Falls were very relaxing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodVERSYSevil View Post

When I was 19, my father showed a complete lack of good judgement (thanks Dad!) in financing my purchase of a 1979 Suzuki GS1000S (yeah, the blue and white Wes Cooley one).
Haven't heard that name in a long time . LOL In 1979 I was riding a Yamaha rd400f daytona special .That was till the guy in the car made a left hand turn in front of me. That is when I learned how to fly like superman went right over the hood of the car.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM

I was about 17 and bought a used 250 dual sport stripped and converted for dirt riding, it was an early to mid 70's yamaha before monoshock rear suspension. I was trail riding with my younger brother who had a suzuki 250, we were kind of racing down A single lane dirt road, I was doing about 60 when I hit a series of bumps and the next thing I know i am doing A full hand stand on the handle bars, not sure how I managed to plant my arse back on the seat but I did. As soon as I was back on the seat I let up on the throtle clutched and down shifted rather quickly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
It was 1963, and I was on my first longer ride on my '62 Triumph Thunderbird. My brother (who sold it to me) had suggested cranking the steering damper (a friction one) down while on the highway, so I had.
Unbeknownst there was a slight amount of play where it met the frame, and it suddenly went into a "tank-slapper" while launching me across the undivided road at 45 degrees to the direction I'd been going, through TWO lanes of on-coming traffic, and into the far ditch!
Luckily I missed everyone, and was able to continue with the damper TOTALLY backed-off till I could tighten the gap!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:37 PM
naz

It was 2001 and i had some daily boring ride from my house to the uni.I was first on the line of a red light waiting it to become green so as to continue my route.Suddenly i heard something coming pretty fast from behind,the guy didnt see the lights and the car crashed me with 30-40 kmh .the yamaha dt (112 kgs full) went forward like a tennis ball,in the middle of the street and i jumped instantly on the air.i still remember watching the bike rolling alone in the middle of the road till it fall down.thanks god no car was on the bikes free ride and no big damage happened to both of us.till then i never go 1st on the lights and i always have my mirrors properly installed showing me the hell coming
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Coming back from a trip up the AL-Can to Alaska. I was riding a 2004 Kaw Vulcan 1500 loaded with gear and myself at about 900 lbs. I had been going in and out of nasty, all out, full bore, everything mother nature had, epic, traffic stopping thunderstorms for two days. Geared up and ready for the next onslaught I was on a causeway crossing a lake with 15 foot drop off on both sides. Saw the water being whip up out on the lake to my right and watched in amazement as calm water became 2-3 foot waves.

I didn't realize the hurricane force wind that was pushing this storm. Suddenly I was broadsided by the wind and pushed hard right toward the 15 foot drop off with the lake below. I made the decision that I wasn't going over the edge so I threw the bike down hard left. Better asphalt then murky depths. The wind was blowing so hard that my bike and I literally bounced off the wind and came right back up. The problem with this was that I was still tavelling too fast and could not get stopped before going over the edge.

So I threw it down a second time, bounced off the wind and got pushed closer to the edge.
And a third time I threw it down, and bounced back up off the wind, but I was finally slow enough to get stopped, sitting on the gravel just 15 inches from the edge.

After I quit shaking and the rain slowed so I could see the other side of the road, I pulled into a construction site and huddled under some equipment for 45 minutes while the rain blew sideways.

I always figure that was the day I landed in the hand of God. Three times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode