Who is the idiot? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who is the idiot?

So I am coming back from Java to my home in Bali yesterday, I get off the ferry and it's just getting dark. It starts raining, and it's the hour of the night buses and the long haul trucks fill this route, and many drive recklessly. It's one lane each way with no dividers, in the US it would be a country road, here it's a major intercity route.
I'm tired, but I don't want to spend another night sleeping in a strange bed so I make a run for it. As usual there is plenty of backed up traffic in the hilly sections but I do my best to keep up a decent pace, even with the panniers, tail bag and tank bag with all my equipment and gear.
About 10 km before I turn off this killer route (every week there's a major accident on this route involving a truck or a bus) this guy on a honda pcx is really hot-footing it and sitting on my tail. We're all lane splitting but this guy is really tempting death. We come up to a red light and there is this Balinese couple on a little scooter on the far right (we drive on the left here remember) with their indicator dutifully on, waiting at the head of the line. I pull up behind and to the left of them. Then this guy barges over the double line, passes them and parks himself at an angle right in front of them. I know he's going straight.
The light turns green and the Balinese guy almost gets tangled up with this jerk who then shoots off. The Balinese guy is swearing ( Balinese are normally pretty easy going).
I'm tired and irritable, and this really pisses me off. I catch him at the next light, see that he is an expat. I pull up to him and say to him in an even tone: "Bro take it easy, no need to cut in front like that.". He says to me in a French accent with a shrug and a grin "Hey it's Bali". This really got my dander up, so I answer "You mean you can do whatever you want coz it's Bali?". Then he says "I've lived here for four years, and I have a Z800 and you ride like ****, you need a baby sitter blah blah.."
WTF? I'm sorry, i'm not a xenophobe but i really hate foreigners who come to my country and treat us like we are back in the colonial days.
As we rode off I really had to control myself, slow down and not let his attitude get to me, and just let him go ahead. Took a lot of slow breathing to calm down and not think really nasty thoughts.
Finally I spent the few kilometers left to home thinking about what I should have done. Probably if I hadn't so tired and grumpy with the rain and traffic I would have just let it go. Now I'm not sure who is the idiot, him for endangering so many other people on the road with his "hotshot" skills (**** would hate to see what he does on his Z800) or myself for actually saying something to a guy who obviously has his head up his ass.
What would you do?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Garage
Yeah he is the idiot, but saying something? Put it this way did it help?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Well I can relate to driving in an ultra restrictive country (like i imagine France is) and then going to a country that has much more relaxed traffic laws. It would be tempting not to want to take advantage of the leniency. But I wouldn't get all offended by it. I live in Florida and there are all types of Hispanics that come here and drive really stupid. But I am wrong if I think, "These hispanics act like Spain owns Florida again" lol. Even though many of them act like the could care less about American culture and respecting what it means to be an American.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Yeah he is the idiot, but saying something? Put it this way did it help?
Exactly. I'm actually thinking I'm the idiot. Was kicking myself all the way home.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Well I can relate to driving in an ultra restrictive country (like i imagine France is) and then going to a country that has much more relaxed traffic laws. It would be tempting not to want to take advantage of the leniency. But I wouldn't get all offended by it. I live in Florida and there are all types of Hispanics that come here and drive really stupid. But I am wrong if I think, "These hispanics act like Spain owns Florida again" lol. Even though many of them act like the could care less about American culture and respecting what it means to be an American.
Hmm - I see where you are coming from, interesting perspective never thought of that happening in the US.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 PM
MTS

Always an idiot out there! You are on the right path I believe, the change must come within you!

Remember the serenity prayer!

And always CCW but maybe not in your country not sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 11-23-2014 at 08:04 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Always an idiot out there! You are on the right path I believe, the change must come within you!

for the first two lines, but sorry don't know what CCW means?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
What would you do?
Move out of Bali... Why would you live there in the first place?

CCW = Carry Conceilled Weapon
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Move out of Bali... Why would you live there in the first place?

CCW = Carry Conceilled Weapon
LOL - interesting answer.

for the record: I'm Indonesian, this is my home.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

As I've gotten older something happened that drives my wife nuts...I've decided not to let the @ss hats bother me. If I can't improve the situation, why allow the stress to poison my life?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
As I've gotten older something happened that drives my wife nuts...I've decided not to let the @ss hats bother me. If I can't improve the situation, why allow the stress to poison my life?

I've gotten older but wiser sometimes escapes me.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep he is a idiot but watch out he may be ccw
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 AM

When I run into such idiots, I try to console myself that Karma will catch up with them in time. My only wish is that I'm there to see it...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
WTF? I'm sorry, i'm not a xenophobe but i really hate foreigners who come to my country and treat us like we are back in the colonial days.
when people call me a xenophobe or racist i just say im a nationalist, i dont care about what you do just do it in your own country.....stay out of mine (j/k tho were all people...**** comes in all colors
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Pepper Spray The Douche Bag...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:28 PM

You handled it wisely. It was good to say something -- a different person might have had a different reaction.

Here in South Florida, we get a lot of immigrants from Latin American countries that apparently don't have traffic laws or driver training, and they inflict themselves upon those of us who prefer to ride roads where people follow rules. So I understand your pain.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...What would you do?
Pretty much just what you did.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM

I've learned to choose my battles carefully. If you're on a bike and A$$hat's in a car you are already on the losing end.

Remember he'll have forgotten all about this by the time he makes it to the next bar so if you hang on to and let it eat at you, you are just beating yourself up. Best to let it go and get home alive and in one piece I'd think.

A$$hats are born and very rarely change.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode