Sad day in Vancouver - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sad day in Vancouver

An athlete from Georgia died while on a training run on the last day before the Olympic games open . He lost control at 144 km/h and was flung from the track , he struck a metal support . Link to article , scroll down to 2nd video ( small video box ) for footage , be warned it is sudden and tragic . http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/12/...Most+Recent%29

** This space for rent **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Nodar Kumaritashvili was 21... Video shows revival attempt photos:

No Video
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
vp7

Yeah, that put a damper on the whole opening ceremony, but I liked how they handled it.

I saw the video on TV yesterday before the ceremonies and it's crazy that they go 144 km/h (90 mph), no protection and so close to the ice. Hopefully the races will be safe and there will be no more accidents.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
Yeah, that put a damper on the whole opening ceremony, but I liked how they handled it.
Agreed. Life goes on despite tragedy, and cancelling anything would solve nothing. Better to honor the memory of the fallen athlete by competing than by being inactive. Tip of the helmet to the Canadian organizers and the people in the stadium for their grace and comity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 AM

I don't know. I think they should close the luge until they fix that horrible design. Even the Canadian lugers who have been using the track for some time now say that it scares the **** outta them. It is the fastest luge track ever, and poorly designed.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
That fellow who was visible maybe one pole after where the luger came off was bloody lucky!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 PM
vp7

For additional info.

They did make adjustments to the track. The men are now starting from the woman's starting block and where the accident happened they raised the wall all the way to the top and they shaved some of the ice to change the track. All teams were asked if they agree with these changes and were given the option of not racing.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Watching some of the interviews with the wife this morning and all the racers I saw looked upset with the changes, not just upset with their comrade passing away. One German even said that by taking out the danger (starting from the womans gate) they have done away with the soul of competition. I guess they don't like playing from the ladies tee's.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard that the athlete who died was fairly much an amateur. If that's the case, then I understand why the other racers aren't pleased. It would be like having a newbie get hurt or killed at Daytona, and then changing the race to ONLY the infield...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Danger in the course is good, but you shouldn't die if you leave the track. Those unprotected metal bars were a bad idea. Especially at the sharpest corner. Dumb. Glad they raised the sides, too bad they took the speed out.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Is it just me or aren't the Olympics supposed to be for "amateurs". And what a friggin shame they couldn't have put up plexiglass along that section attached to those steel columns...Woulda prevented the whole thing

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I guess that when I used the word "amateur", perhaps a better choice would have been "beginner" or "near-beginner". The report I heard seemed to indicate that he was at the low end of the experience curve. Still - a shame!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode