Living in Phoenix - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Living in Phoenix

I'll keep the topic short: I've been offered a job in Phoenix. Ever live there? How do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Paradise, plain and simple.

Let us know when you arrive and good luck.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM

What jmlmjmhm said. I lived in Mesa a few miles away in the 80's and it is beautiful. Great weather, the amenities of a large city and the desert and mountain lakes for outdoor activities.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM

As long as you like 100 degree plus temps for about 8 months out of the year you'll love Phoenix.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 AM

If you're coming from the north you will have four seasons: hot; really hot; bleep'n awful; and paradise. After you adjust, however, you will agree with jmlmjmhn. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Pretty sure I rode every day in the last 365.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'm really considering it. I spent last weekend out there and saw the sights, rented a couple sportsters to go up 87 a bit. I had a blast, I just live in NY right now and it would just be such a complete reversal. People seemed friendly enough, the tough part would be finding decent friends. I have one good buddy out there, at least.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Pheonix is great in the winter and in the summer you can ride up to payson where I live...It's not as hot up here.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Paradise, plain and simple.

Let us know when you arrive and good luck.
X 2 (at LEAST!!!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Don't live there, but done a lot of riding on the V in PHX area and its great. One of your first trips should be up to Tortilla Flats, tiny old pioneer town near Lake Roosevelt. If you don't get stuck behind a motor-home, one of the best roads in the State on a V! There's lots of good mild off-road stuff as well.

I live part time in Seattle area and part time Southern CA. In WA state we get 3 fairly good months and 9 crappy ones. In AZ you'll get 3 crappy (bloody hot) and nearly 9 of excellent riding weather!

Good luck with your new job.

BTW, WATCH OUT for stationery and mobile speed cameras on the PHX freeways as well as Traffic light cameras. If you have an iPhone there's a App called Trapster that shows where they are-i.e. everywhere.

Check out the PHX area here;
http://www.trapster.com/

Machog

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post

BTW, WATCH OUT for stationery and mobile speed cameras on the PHX freeways as well as Traffic light cameras. If you have an iPhone there's a App called Trapster that shows where they are-i.e. everywhere.

Check out the PHX area here;
http://www.trapster.com/

Machog
The cameras will ticket you at 11 mph OVER the posted limit, and there're signs saying "photo speed enforcement area" just before them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Any ocean out there ?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Phoenix is a great place, I've lived here for about 20 years.
I ride here 365 days a year, yes, it is bloody hot in July and August... but we don't get those insane blizards everyone else has.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Phoenix is a great place, I've lived here for about 20 years.
I ride here 365 days a year, yes, it is bloody hot in July and August... but we don't get those insane blizards everyone else has.
Don't know what you're talking about.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Any ocean out there ?
Sorta.... Buddy has a house in Gilbert, on a lake that takes about 2 hours to go around the shores in his electric boat - sort of a smaller houseboat.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Sorta.... Buddy has a house in Gilbert, on a lake that takes about 2 hours to go around the shores in his electric boat - sort of a smaller houseboat.
That's OK, I got plenty of time.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm taking the job. I'm young, unattached, it's time to try new things. Hell, that's why I bought the Versys.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Lived there for 10 years. It isn't the worst, and it isn't the best. However, I have yet to live in a true perfect place.

Note: You visited during the Paradise season, so of course it is easy to fall in love with it. For me, although I love dry climate, my nose did not. I woke up most mornings with a raw, dry nose. The good thing for you is, you will be one of the few people with a job there, and this is the best time to buy a home there. Depending on what part of the city you want to live in, currently you can find a 2,200+ sq ft, 3 car garage home there for as little as $130K. Just don't loose your job there because the market is tough. Also, be prepared to pay astronomically high vehicle licensing fees there. They are some of the highest in the country. Gas prices are considered to be on the low, to moderate low side. Groceries are cheap compared to other places I have lived (not sure why).

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Texas

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Givi Shield, Givi PLX V35 Side Cases, Givi V46 Top Case, Powered Tank Bag, Corbin Seat, RAM Mounts, Venhill SS Smoke Brake Lines, HID 5000K/3000K, LED Marker Lights

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Loaded

"There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from." - The endearing Forrest Gump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode