Opinion Poll: Verizon wireless service issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

View Poll Results: What should Verizon do?
Return all the money, since they provided no product/service in return & charged me without consent 4 19.05%
Keep it all--it was my fault for not checking my statements 10 47.62%
Return a portion 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Opinion Poll: Verizon wireless service issue

(By the way, I do own a Versys. I rode it to work today )

I'm curious to get your opinions. Here's the scenario:

Back in 2004 I used my phone's game browser feature to download and play a puzzle game. I knew when I downloaded it that it was $1.99/month to play. I played it one or two months and then I used the phone's interface to remove the game. Verizon continued to charge me $1.99/month to this day (five years). The charge was buried in my online statements, and since my monthly cost was always just over $40 I figured it was my plan plus some taxes or over-minute fees.

I called Verizon and told them I wanted ALL the money credited to my account for the months after I removed the game from the phone (about $120). The first account rep said he could only credit the last month. His supervisor said she could do three months, but that was absolutely the limit of how much of my money they could give back, and that there was no one above her I could talk to. I immediately emailed customer service and the person that replied said they could do a full year. I replied that returning 20% of the money they had taken from me was not sufficient. I wanted it all. They said it was my responsibility to review my statements to detect if I was being gouged, and to notify them. Of course it would have been resolved sooner had I noticed the $1.99 charge, but my opinion is that they charged me all this time without providing me a product or service, and without my consent. That's theft. I should be reimbursed for all of it even though it's been five years.

So here's the poll question: who's more right/wrong? How much do you think they should reimburse me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM

I think you should have read your monthly statements more carefully. Two bucks a month doesn't seem like much until you add up five years worth. I'm surprised you let the contract run for five years without revising it. I do everytime I'm eligible for a new phone. Take the year's worth and chalk it up to experience.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM

No, it's not theft. The charges were listed on your bill, you just had to look at it. If they're willing to reimburse some of the money you should take it and call it good.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Knowing about the situation only what you have described in the first post, I would not blame Verizon beyond the first month that the charge appeared on your bill in error and you did not dispute it. Anything they've offered to reimburse beyond that is goodwill on their part. Read your bill. My $.02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Verizon is notorious for overcharging. Some companies have written software to check Verizon's charges - especially for company wireless accounts - and have recovered more than enough to justify the additional personnel costs. I believe this is deliberate, because I have yet to find a steady stream of VZ undercharging anywhere. However, you have to decide on the value of your time, and the return you might get by continuing. Verizon depends on you giving up. If someone brought a class-action suit, they might change their habits. I think I'd take their last and best offer. But if you want to continue, warn VZ, then comlain to the utilities commission for your state.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM

As a consumer it is your responsibility to check your bill each and every month.
I'm especially watchful after I ask for a cancellation of anything.
I watch each and every bill that comes to our house, If there is any discrepancy, I'll catch it.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM

"I think you should have read your monthly statements more carefully. Two bucks a month doesn't seem like much until you add up five years worth. I'm surprised you let the contract run for five years without revising it. I do everytime I'm eligible for a new phone. Take the year's worth and chalk it up to experience."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

There are much better options than Verizon now!

Thanks for all the feedback, fellas.

I could complain some more and even take Verizon to small claims (which I've done before and won), but my time is money and it's probably not worth the hassle.

The best thing I got out the whole deal is the stimulation to educate myself on my current wireless options. That's when I discovered that I could take my existing Verizon cell phone over to Page Plus Cellular and get 1200 minutes (and 1200 text messages) a month for $30 with no contract. That's 3X the minutes at 75% of the cost.

But, since my phone was old, and Page Plus only sells older model refurbished 'dumb' phones, I went with StraightTalk instead. I got a new Samsung R451 'semi-smart' phone for $100 with no contract. It features a full physical QWERTY keyboard, MP3 player, and internet browser. StraightTalk (and Page Plus) runs on the Verizon network, so I still get the best coverage and reception like I'm used to. For $30/month with no contract I get 1000 minutes, 1000 text messages, and 30MB of data. I could get unlimited everything for $45/month if I wanted. The phone doesn't have an email client, so it doesn't check for emails. Instead, I set up my Gmail account to forward emails to [mycellnumber]@vtext.com so I get text messages within 15 seconds of someone emailing me. The messages contain enough of the emails so I can see what it's about and if it's worth replying to. I can then use the phone's browser to get into my Gmail inbox within 30 seconds to read the full email and reply to it if I like. The phone's screen is not really large, but it's good enough to do emails, check movie times, and get text directions on how to get somewhere. I like that the phone is big enough to use easily, but still fits neatly in my slacks or jeans pocket. I'm very happy with the phone and service so far. I'm almost glad Verizon cheated me out of a few dollars

If you're interested in StraighTalk, here's some details. They're a reseller formed as a collaboration between Tracphone, Walmart and Verizon. Buy the phones at Walmart, don't buy a minutes card, go home and activate the phone on the www.StraightTalk.com website and sign up for an automatic debit plan. If you're going with a new phone number you'll be up and running with both calls and internet connection within minutes. If you port a number the calling ability may take 24 hours to move over, and the internet may take a couple of days to start working. If you call customer service be patient with those guys; they're located outside the U.S. and their English isn't perfect, but they do try to help you. Just remember how much money you'll be saving while still being on the best network and relax. By default the service has an annoying pre-call message that tells you how much call time you have left. Just call customer service and tell them to turn that feature off.

Hope this is useful info
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Your fault for not verifying your statement. Verizon does not have to return any. However, it is more expensive for Verizon to get a new customer than to refund you the fees therefore I would ask Verizon to remove all fees or you will go with someone else. If they say no, I would follow through and go with someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
verizon wireless cellular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode