Elio.. will it happen? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Elio.. will it happen?

So my Father (65 years old) was looking at buying a ural, but decided it was probably not the best idea as they are a bit tricky to ride, and they can require a bit of tinkering (not his thing). So he just put money down and reserved an Elio. I hate to say it but it looks cool. for under 7k it claims to get 84mpg, but will they really ever make them? I guess there has been talk about these for quite some time now and nothing has ever come to market. They told him fall of 2015. He got a tshirt and told him what number he is in line to get one. Hafta say I might have to steal it for a while if he gets it.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Now just drop an H2R motor in there and really have some fun....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Pretty sure it would explode into a million pieces, but Im sure someone will throw bike motor in it. It was my first thought... An affordable t-rex

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i know someone with a ural and rides it in the snow no proble, and other then a flat tire hasnt had any problems
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 AM

I forgot about the elio - wouldn't mind having one
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i know someone with a ural and rides it in the snow no proble, and other then a flat tire hasnt had any problems
I have talked to a few owners, and they said they are fun but nothing more than a novelty. Nothing they would commute with or anything. We also went to the dealer who admitted they are hit or miss. Great machines, but some seem to need more work than others. At around 11k for a ural and 7k for the Elio that made his mind up. Urals are pretty awesome though. If I had garage space and someone offered me a deal I would love one.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had to Google it.

Interesting.... especially at that price point.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
They would be interesting.

I will tell you though that the height of the Versys makes riding the hilly terrain of TN a breeze. When I am in my Solstice I have to slow down because the visibility down the road is limited because I am so low. Same thing will happen with the Elio.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I have to say, that after riding to Alaska in '07 on my KLR while my buddy was on a Ural side-car rig, that his Ural was the WORST POS I've ever been near! I suggested he buy a used Ford F150, so he could carry the rig in the bed, get BETTER mileage, be warm, and listen to tunes.

He tried the TAT (Trans America Trail) on it, but it caught fire and burned to the ground on his second or third day.

Here's a couple of TYPICAL pics of the Ural on that AK ride.... (On different days, too.)

My buddy waited TWO WEEKS in Williams Lake, BC for carbs from the importer, in Seattle, WA!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I have talked to a few owners, and they said they are fun but nothing more than a novelty. Nothing they would commute with or anything. We also went to the dealer who admitted they are hit or miss. Great machines, but some seem to need more work than others. At around 11k for a ural and 7k for the Elio that made his mind up. Urals are pretty awesome though. If I had garage space and someone offered me a deal I would love one.
the guy i know uses his mostly for camping trips , puts the kid in the side car and pulls a little trailer loaded with gear and wife on a drz

oh did i mention his is a 2008 i be leave

Last edited by silviefox; 11-05-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYrNFYtu40

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That is a prototype, but the engine sounds a bit rough with a noisy valvetrain, and the automatic tranny seems pretty crude... I hope a manual transaxle is available.

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...metro-engines/

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...-engine-block/

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car...-engines-head/

Versys 650 powertrain would be perfect for it. Ideal torque band and power output. Much more refined and proven, as well as lighter, more compact and fuel efficient.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:11 PM

I love the Elio..or will once they get the bugs out..and with a manual transmission please...

if I was going to swap engines out of it..I think I might trend towards a Yammie [email protected] more than dbl. the horsepower of our Versys...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That ridiculous contraption is far from being able to handle more horsepower, and their engine is far from being sufficiently refined with proven reliability... I'll be surprised if they ever go in production, or be successful to any degree.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Versys 650 powertrain would be perfect for it. Ideal torque band and power output. Much more refined and proven, as well as lighter, more compact and fuel efficient.
would have to add an intermediate gear box to allow forward/reverse function
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 AM

One of these types of concepts comes out every year it seems, since forever. And (especially in the most important US market) they dont quite get off the ground. Sure, this would be great around a town or city, or a single lane country road, but not in heavy traffic or highway conditions with high-anxiety americans. Not to mention the size of our crash test dummies are getting larger, so.....

Id rather have a motorcycle, even though that elio is dirt cheap for anything fully enclosed brand new. Or, id rather have a 10-year-old car for $5k that has a million better qualities

But i guess it depends on what california says. For all we know they could mandate everone in CA buy one or passive aggressively force a higher tax on everything other than elio, or create an "elio-only" lane on the highway, or force legislation on the auto industry saying "this company can make an 80+ mpg gas engine, that means you can too" scenario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode