Anybody watch BBC America's TOP GEAR yesterday? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody watch BBC America's TOP GEAR yesterday?

I like this show even though Jeremy "claims" motorcycle riders are twits. Anyway, did anybody see the rerun yesterday in which the "STIG" revealed his identity? No less than Formula one ex racer, Michael Schumacher! But at the end, Jeremy said that maybe that wasn't the real STIG. Who knows?
BTW, this was the end of the episode where they"raced" in 1949, a Jaguar XK, Vincent Shadow, and a coal passenger train. Cool Vincent, but he finished last, that wasn't right!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM

I
caught the show, its one of my favorite shows. I like how schumaker kept driving off the course, and the Vincent would have done better if Hammond had taken it off reserve after fueling up.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM

The show was great, as always.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I saw it, great show. I was wondering how painful it would be to ride that bike long distance!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Given the choice and the conditions, I would have taken the Jag. What a gorgeous car with a fantastic straight six. The Vincent was gorgeous as well, but not for shooting up the motorway...let me take the B roads and don't worry about what time I get there. And a train like that would be best enjoyed from the first class compartment dining on rare roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and fine port.

Refreshing to learn that Michael Schumacher has a Fiat wagon as his daily driver. F1 family man.

And Jeremy Clarkson...he's the biggest twit of them all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Come on, don't you think it would have been cool to be in there shoveling coal? I would have done that, but would have required a mask.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Man, that show was on BBC LAST year. :~))

Awesome show. I wish we got BBC anything Top Gear here in Canada. If you have satellite, you get it... cable, forget it.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Man, that show was on BBC LAST year. :~))

Awesome show. I wish we got BBC anything Top Gear here in Canada. If you have satellite, you get it... cable, forget it.
Uhmm.......dude , last year was only 26 days ago .

** This space for rent **
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I
caught the show, its one of my favorite shows. I like how schumaker kept driving off the course, and the Vincent would have done better if Hammond had taken it off reserve after fueling up.
Yes, and even with the mistakes he posted the fastest time ever. Probably more proof he is not the real Stig!

My Album:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
Uhmm.......dude , last year was only 26 days ago .
OK, more specifically, it was last summer. July I think.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
OK, more specifically, it was last summer. July I think.
Summer in Canada !!!.........thats as crazy as bad weather in Texas

** This space for rent **
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 AM

sorry guys I think you have fallen for a bit of TV dishonesty...
...and it was June 2009 when the program was first broadcast

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...chumacher.html

theres lots of rumours as to who THE Stig is, but current suggestions are its up to 10 people, depending on who's available. the mumblings about Schumaker came at the same time Top Gear was testign some exotic Ferrari and there were suggestions it was Ferrari's insistence that they wanted Schumaker to drive, or IIRC it was Schumakers own car..

Who knows, mebbe Schumaker is involved in the German program which has suspicious similarities with Top Gear, carrying over Sabine <whatever>...

Its still and great program, some great ideas however I suspect its nearing the end of its run. its going to get increasingly difficult to think up new challenges.

I've always wondered if Clarkson plays the or actually is the he seems on TV, in the press and in his books.

looking at the Wiki on Top gear, I hadn't realised you guys missed out on 'The star in a reasonably priced car', always good for a laugh, but its got a bit too precious, and for many a bit too serious these days.

Last edited by healdem; 01-27-2010 at 03:42 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
Summer in Canada !!!.........thats as crazy as bad weather in Texas
Yes... it's all igloos and eskimos here.

Psssst... I ride year round... and no, no studs. Hardly hit freezing here this "winter", and no snow. Not sure I can say the same for Texas.

Last edited by Red Herring; 01-27-2010 at 11:01 AM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I like this show even though Jeremy "claims" motorcycle riders are twits.
What a moron. I own a $5000 motocycle that can out accelerate any car they have on the show. So who's the twit?

This statement is usually made by people who don't have what it takes to ride one.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
After a long search I think I may have located Stig....... Google's watching........

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sll=53...84480108548325
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topg...id=30113785001

My Album:
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
What a moron. I own a $5000 motocycle that can out accelerate any car they have on the show. So who's the twit?

This statement is usually made by people who don't have what it takes to ride one.
Did you see him crash the scooter in the Viet Nam trip? Hilarious, the man just can't ride 2 wheels.

The Ariel Atom does 0 to 60 in 2.9 and handles like a RC car(which it looks like). But you can't take it for a test ride for 5K!

My Album:
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM

I'd love to know how Americans, especially from the South, took to the Top Gear US special. somehow I suspect the humour may not have travelled to well
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I guess I can't speak for the South, but I thought it was just funny. That could have just as easily happened here in redneck Ozarks!

My Album:
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
I'd love to know how Americans, especially from the South, took to the Top Gear US special. somehow I suspect the humour may not have travelled to well
Speaking as a New Englander here, but lots of Southerners these days are Northern transplants, and there certainly are plenty of gearheads south of the Mason-Dixon line. Don't forget, too, that the Top Gear theme music is "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers Band...American music doesn't come much more Southern than that. Few people have a neutral opinion of Jeremy Clarkson, as well. I'd wager that American who like Top Gear liked the US special and those that would not have liked the special would probably not like Top Gear in general.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode