Almost hit a black bear last night. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Almost hit a black bear last night.

Whenever I encounter something or see something interesting, the GoPro is never on, but here's the story.

I rode from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh over the weekend. Last night, I left Pittsburgh at 1AM to head back home. It's a 312 miles trip. I always plan to stop at Sideling Hill Service Plaza, which is 150 miles east of Pittsburgh and the most convenient stop for the route. More than 200 miles of the route is a bunch of altitude changes from going up and down mountains.

I'm cruising with the jellyfish on in the right lane at 70MPH along I-76E by myself just about 30-35 miles from the service plaza. I haven't seen or past a single car for the past 30-40 miles from either side of the turnpike. The road becomes a slight incline. I am looking dead straight ahead. There are no street lights and my Versys is the only source of light. Clouds were out and no moon light.

In a matter of nanoseconds, I noticed a black figure about ten or less feet in front of me running from the left lane into mine. I swerve right as best as I could, but I don't think I moved much giving my speed and how close the bear was. I managed to dodged a black bear with about less than a foot of clearance from its face and my left hand guard. My hi-beam lit up its face for a split second. I continued to ride off with a bunch of inappropriate words coming out of my helmet.

I thought about pulling over to call the nearest state trooper to report a bear on the road, but I didn't. I still regret it. I didn't know what else was in the area and if it was even safe to pull over and try to call them.

It's not much of a story, but I thought I'd share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Whoa, I can imagine that raised your heart rate a few notches. Glad it was a "nearly" event rather than a full contact event.

After dark riding in central Maine is something I try to avoid. Haven't seen a bear in years but we do have lots of deer and moose. Lucky me - it's been two years since I last hit a moose.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 AM

Always good to hear of a 'close one'!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiDinh View Post
...I thought about pulling over to call the nearest state trooper to report a bear on the road, but I didn't. I still regret it. I didn't know what else was in the area and if it was even safe to pull over and try to call them....
I don't think there's much reason to consider calling UNLESS Mr Bear is still lying on the road after being hit. Mostly - he'd be LONG GONE when the troopers got there.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM

Garage
I almost ran over a mama bear and two cubs earlier this summer, in my isuzu amigo. That was scary enough for me, can't imagine being on a bike.

It was interesting chasing them down the roadway while I tried to slow and stop/avoid them. They took a hard right at the last minute, which probably helped at least one of the little tykes.

The very next day, I cleaned and polished my amigo headlights, and increased the range by about 50%

'09 Versys
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
glad you missed it . my buddy hit a duck at 70mph on his rebel and totaled it and got ****ed up
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The city ones are scary ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKYx7hp58k

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

I have no idea why but I thought you were talking about a hairy woman in the title. :-)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I don't think there's much reason to consider calling UNLESS Mr Bear is still lying on the road after being hit. Mostly - he'd be LONG GONE when the troopers got there.
I agree with you. At the time of the occurrence, I was only thinking of another drivers' safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
glad you missed it . my buddy hit a duck at 70mph on his rebel and totaled it and got ****ed up
I hope he's doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I have no idea why but I thought you were talking about a hairy woman in the title. :-)
Female big foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I almost ran over a mama bear and two cubs earlier this summer, in my isuzu amigo. That was scary enough for me, can't imagine being on a bike.

It was interesting chasing them down the roadway while I tried to slow and stop/avoid them. They took a hard right at the last minute, which probably helped at least one of the little tykes.

The very next day, I cleaned and polished my amigo headlights, and increased the range by about 50%
Installing fog lights is my next project. I think I need to push that project into a higher priority now.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:

Installing fog lights is my next project. I think I need to push that project into a higher priority now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkD...PPhqeALJhtnv-d

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Ah, ha! I have seen this video a few weeks ago, but I did not make the connection with the user names.

How did you mount it? Do you have a DIY?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ah, ha! I have seen this video a few weeks ago, but I did not make the connection with the user names.

How did you mount it? Do you have a DIY?

Had it mounted to the Hepco/Becker Crash Bars. Got them installed when i took the bike in at 15,000 miles. Had the valves checked,new tires mounted,etc,etc......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...halogen-lights

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had it mounted to the Hepco/Becker Crash Bars. Got them installed when i took the bike in at 15,000 miles. Had the valves checked,new tires mounted,etc,etc......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...halogen-lights
I am looking into SW-Motech's crash bar for the Versys. I guess I'll look into both setups at the same time.

How were you valves at 15,000 miles? I just past my due interval.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am looking into SW-Motech's crash bar for the Versys. I guess I'll look into both setups at the same time.

How were you valves at 15,000 miles? I just past my due interval.

They were fine. If i had to do over i would have waited till 30,000 miles

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
They were fine. If i had to do over i would have waited till 30,000 miles
That is my current plan. I've been reading around and a lot of owners checking at 15,000 miles resulted in valves still within specs. I've done numerous adjustments before on a Ninja 250, but it's so time consuming.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That is my current plan. I've been reading around and a lot of owners checking at 15,000 miles resulted in valves still within specs.
A lot of owners may have still been in spec. But there are also a lot that were not.
I had several out of spec at 15,000 miles.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
A lot of owners may have still been in spec. But there are also a lot that were not.
I'm just giving myself excuses.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
I hope he's doing well.
he is starting to look for work now but not ready to ride again yet lol
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
I "did" the valves on my '09 at 10,888 kms (6751 miles). ALL four exhaust valves were at .009" (against .0087 to .0122), while the intakes were at .007 or .006 (three of 'em at .006 - against .0059 to .0083), which makes them all toward the 'tight' end of the spectrum, within the correct range, but I set them up to the 'loose' end.

When I 'did' them again at 39,440 kms, I did them in "metric". They had ALL tightened up slightly (exhausts at .275 to .295mm vs range of .22 to .31mm) while the intakes were .195 to .205 against .15 to .21mm), so-o-o...

did I REALLY need to do them at 10,888 kms for the first check...? Look at my figures, and draw your own conclusions....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Well glad you are ok. So many of them around here you almost have to give them a little pet on the head as you drive by!

Last edited by tmclean; 10-15-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode