HD digital video camera - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HD digital video camera

I am considering getting A new digital camera that shoots high def video. The idea is to shoot some video while riding and still be able to take some quality stills as well. I was considering A compact lite weight camera like the cannon sd780is cost is about $200 but wondering if the lite weight might be more affected by vibration from the slight buzziness of the handlebars kind of like the mirrors. The camera I really like is the cannon sx20is, this is A mega zoom camera and is quite A bit heavier, so I dont know if it would be less affected by the buzziness, and would the extra wieght be A problem with A ram mount. I am bassically looking for your inputs or thoughts on this idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33528992-2-440-OVR-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	5273   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx20is_586x225.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	5274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

I take it that you want to mainly shoot still pictures and occasionally shoot video. If that's the case then a still camera that shoots video is the way to go. If you don't want research cameras that much a Canon camera is the safest way to go. I haven't attached any kind of camera to the handle bars so I can't give you any kind of answer about the vibrations.

You can get a gas cap ring camera mount attachment from twisted throttle which would eliminate the possible vibration problem.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2210/652/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info brothercannon, that tank idea seems pretty solid. Tim I remember you had shot some video footage of A ride you took, how did you mount your camera?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3414

The link above is the thread with my video and there is a picture of the mount I used on the handle of my Givi side bag to attach my Flip Video Camera.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Garage
I love taking picture

But their's one thing I don't like with conventional camera that can shoot video
Sometimes, in video mode, the autofocus is a bit uncooperative and keep trying to focus foward and rearward, which blurs part of the scene

I bought a kodak zx1
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...view=kodak+zx1

And I'm satisfy with it.
Altough, for closer scene, the wideness of the feild is rather narrow.
But it has and HD mode (720p) with 60 frames per second (that's a big difference from the 30 frames) and quality of the image is very good especialy outside (also weather resistent).

That's my tow cents !

Ciao

LOP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 AM

a\nother approach is to buy a video camera that takes reasonable stills (its the other half of the BrotherCanon's appraoch).

IIRC Sanyo's Xacti range try to do this.

like all things its a compromise, you aren't going to get especially great video from a stills camera pretending to be video camera, and vice versa.

it depends on how much video you want to take, how many stills yuou want to take.

if you are buying a still (dSLR) camera then I woulodnt' rule out any of the major manufacturers, there is no doubt the Olympus cameras (and lens) are smaller & lighter thna teh equivalenet Nikjon or Canon. personally Im a bit wary taking an realtively expensive dSLR & lens(s) on a bike where they could get damaged or wet or subjected to excessive vibration. Im looking at going down the bullet camera connected to a DVR. The video quality isn't as good as a dedicated video camera, but theres less to go wrong, less to screw up, and perhaps best of all its fire and forget has a remote control and is supposed to be waterproof

an other pproach may be to get one of the helmet cameras such as the Drift X170
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/X170 however I have heard that these cameras have a problem with wind noise, and as the mike is interated it can be difficult to record sound
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM

I fully agree with healdem. He went into the detail that I was too lazy to write out.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM

one thing to bear in mind is that HD gobbles memory

I doubt that anyone truly needs full HD 1080..... even at standard DVD (576x700 odd) quality you will be consuming around 40Mb per minute.. thats about 200minutes on an 8Gb memory card.
full 1080 would be comparable to Bluray DVD. and unless you are a buddign Spielberg I doubt anyone will notice or truly appreciate the difference. my early attempts at running a camera were fine until the lens got a bit of crap water + salt + muck) on the lens which meant the quality when down hill immediately. I've not had another chance to get on the bike with all the snow and ice that's been around since.

I think you need to decide what you think you are going to want to video, what you are going to take stills, and can you afford to risk high end high quality equipment on a bike. I use a 10mp Fuji finepix for stills and this bullet camera for video. if the fuji dies Im not to worried.. it cost around 80 comapred to the basic dSLR fit out which is 300+, or if you have several lenses it could easily be 1000+.

I'd also thik carefully about who the audience is for your video, if its you on the computer you may get away with VGA, if its on a big screen then you may well need D1 DVD quality. ultimately if its to remind you of where you have been then I don't think it matters, the brain is remarkably good at filling in the dots. however I think you need to be very very carefull before subjecting others to your video masterpiece(s)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input all, my basic intent is something portable, the only video I will probably really shoot is when I ride a section of road that I am really impressed with and want to share and show others how great it is. The majority of the time I would like to take some good looking landscape stills when I stop for breaks. I am thinkig of something inexpensive like the cannon sd780is or kodak ZI8, the kodak is more dedicated to video, the cannon dedicated more towards stills, they both have image stabilisation and both shoot in HD and both have hdmi output connectivity and expandable memory, are both small and lite weight and are both no more than $200. I have seen video on youtube and some riding video is shaky, hopeing to avoid shaky video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode