New tool idea: Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
New tool idea: Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool

Hi guys!

As some of you probably know already, I like design
I was working for the last about 7 years to a new idea, a hand tool.
It took me a lot of time to find this solution that came from a frustration of not having an adjustable ratcheting tool, and looking on the market I couldn't find anything good.
I made a proof of concept prototype and I have a non-provisional patent application (patent pending status).
I'm looking for a company to license it, I really want to bring this tool to the market.

I just wanted to share with you my project, feel free to comment

Here is the YouTube link with my prototype:

Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:39 AM
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That is cool!

I would try one for sure!

The adjustable ones with the flat wrench are junk.

Good luck with this wrench!

Get that thing on the Shark Tank TV show!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:30 AM

That's a cool idea. Who (or what line of work) are you focused towards?

Only reason I ask is because I do maintenance work by trade so I have my hands in everything, and have a cornucopia of tools. Basically I have two of everything: a set for work and a set for home

Last edited by oaklandopen; 09-16-2014 at 05:33 AM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice and solid tool. Quite functional and efficient too. I really like the design and quality of engineering. Great machining and finish... It'll be interesting to see the more compact production editions.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Very cool! I like the pass through design, very handy!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the good words

It really started when I was missing a ratcheting tool from a set and I had an adjustable one..... it was more like a challenge, and I love challenges.. I just didn't know where it will end...
It took me 7 years from that moment, multiple versions, 3D design, drawings, animations, renderings, prototype, patent application and now trying to bring it on the market for other people to use it. And I learned a LOT.

This is a proof of concept prototype that I made to show that my idea works the way I designed it and it really works! Of course the prototype was made trying to minimize cost, machining and time. Its head is made in aluminum and the wall is pretty thick (about 5 mm), the final production tool will have the head diameter a lot smaller; inside components were adapted to fit different parts that I took to reduce the machining, that wouldn't be a problem with a production tool.

It is really close to production status, I designed it to reduce machining, assembly, it's compact and doesn't have any spring inside.

At this point I don't have money, time, knowledge, network, manufacturing capability, marketing to bring this to the market myself. I tried with different companies and I'm waiting for answers, but you wouldn't believe how many companies are there "trying to help" inventors..... I could write a short story about that only...

I don't have a specific market, you can use it at home, in your car, in a workshop, at work.... it's really an universal tool. If it works for you, use it!

It will be possible to lock the handle once you reach the gripping position, it will have also an extension to make it possible to reach deep channels (pockets) and retain the ability to adjust and ratchet....

I could go on and on....
If you have any questions, don't hesitate...
If you know somebody that's interested.... show him this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	55234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	55242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	55250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable Ratcheting Socket Tool.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	55258  
onewizard likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Can't wait to see it as a consumer product. That head, if I can be brutally honest, is wayyyy too big for practical uses
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
No, you cannot be honest
I learned a lot building the prototype, and I have few ideas that will render that head a lot smaller and the gripping jaws close to the outside diameter. I made also a separate handle.... but in production version the head and handle could be a single part, thus reducing even more the dimensions.

Me too I cannot wait to see it as a final product..... come on already!!!

this version in the photo is with the same internal components, but the wall is thinner. I didn't add the other improvements. You can see that's already a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASRTsmall head.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	55266  

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 09-16-2014 at 06:45 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have what I think is called a gator socket in my emergency tool kit. Not the greatest, but gets the job done. Your tool looks too large for most of my applications, but good luck with it. I lime unique and different tools. Something g good for the kids to get a dad who can buy anything he wants.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 09-16-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I should have put in the title that this is just the prototype..

It was made to show the function, how the adjustablility is separated from ratcheting, but work together in the same tool.
And that you can use it with one hand, adjust and tight/un-tight ratchet.
And of course, that's the only adjustable ratcheting tool that exerts a pressure on the bolt's head while in use...

Probably I have to say again that this is just a prototype?

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Read all your stuff. UNLESS the final product is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller (so it'll fit into small spaces) I can't see it happening, BUT I hope you'll prove me wrong.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thx Eddie for your opinion!

Not all the bolts/nuts are in tight spaces
Each tool has a specific market/use. I'm not trying to solve all the problems.

My tool will be significantly smaller that it is now, and smaller compared with what's now on the market, plus having a lot of advantages (video description shows the advantages, some of them).

I could give some of the insight in the design process/steps that I did, patent application steps, some things that I didn't know but I had to find the hard way..... to help somebody that has an idea and doesn't know where to start..

but nobody asks anything and a lot of people think that my tool is too big when it actually only shows the function. (it's made in aluminum!!!)

so.....ask!!

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thats awesome. Keep trying and wish you well. Never give up, no matter what comments and feedback you get.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, chid... It's easy for some of us to understand the aluminum concept model, as a prototype test and demonstration edition. The machined aluminum sure is very beautiful, and is lighter than it may seem. I also like the molded blue grips. We just have to wait and see the final compact production versions.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have what I think is called a gator socket in my emergency tool kit. Not the greatest, but gets the job done. Your tool looks too large for most of my applications, but good luck with it. I lime unique and different tools. Something g good for the kids to get a dad who can buy anything he wants.
That gator grip socket has always intrigued me, but when it comes to nuts/bolts and getting the right socket or wrench size so as not to strip it is essential. I can only imagine, even with those multiple teeth inside, the size being just off and then causing a corner or two to round out on whatever youre wrenching on

And also the fact that your hinge point on a deep headed socket is brought out from the bolt or nut in question instead of being close. That means torque is not totally rotational, its also going at a slight angle. This increases chances of rounding out the heads. Not to mention the extra effort it takes to keep your tool handle perpendicular. Its hard to explain, but i guess just imagine using a deep socket on a simple bolt like an oil drain plug. You wouldnt use a deep socket for that, or a socket wrench at all for that matter

But in regards to this new tool, a one size fits all socket like the gator grip still requires you to have a ratchet or a breaker bar with you. The OP's tool is a ratchet, gator grip, vice grip, and lockjaw pliers combined. Id say if there were a smaller model that maybe only went up to a 1/2 inch this could probably go in my tool bag and aleviate a lot of my constant trecks with my rachet wrenches and socket wrench kits along with my tool bag
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I had one solution: do this or stop.
All the computer animations showing how it works didn't work... I tried

when I did the prototype I had to improvise as much as I could to finally show what I intended: adjustability works with ratcheting and gripping jaws.

ratcheting mechanism was the most difficult to do (machining wise) and I had to work around it, adjusting dimensions around this. that's why my ASRT head is that big.
also, machining AL vs steel takes a lot less time (money) and it's easier to do.
My first version of the prototype had internal parts made in AL and it didn't work like I wanted to. This is the second version.
I already have many improvements to bring after making the prototype... but the main function is shown in this prototype.

I cannot explain how I felt after so many years when after I fully assembled the prototype and ....... it worked! Like it was working inside my head..... but now in my hands.....
I don't regret all the work I put in this and I won't stop.....
Because my passion is..... design

ps. I hope the thread doesn't stop here....

Versys 2015 Green
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Stuart, the guy at Toolguyd did a review for my invention.

Here is the link:
Toolguyd review

Versys 2015 Green
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Some more news:

Guys at Yanko design did a very nice review:
A Tool Built To Rule

And more important, today I received the Notice of Allowance from USPTO, they are finally ready to grant the patent after I pay the fees.

Versys 2015 Green
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Congrats on your design! Neat concept and you should feel proud.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Capn!

I have a "new and improved" version, slimmed down and almost ready for production. 40% smaller (of course it's scalable) and the tool can grab now nuts (or bolts) with diagonal close to the diameter of the head of the tool. Just for comparison I show here the first "revision" and the new one. Look at the nut size compared with the diameter of the head of the tool.
I designed new type of jaws, a new type of ratcheting mechanism to reduce the overall size of the head...
also a photo with the first prototype and the new design 3D printed.

it's amazing and saddening how people even if I say "it's a proof of concept prototype" come back and say : it's too big ...!?!
well, a new push it's coming, especially now with the full patent protection and exclusivity.

I'll keep you posted!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slimmed new concept.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	70738   Click image for larger version

Name:	prototypes.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	70754  

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 08-29-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode