Camping Stoves - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Camping Stoves

When I come across an item that really stands out, and performs beyond my expectations, I like to pass my experience off to you guys.

I purchased the JetBoil Zip camping stove AFTER my big trip this summer. I have been using an older MSR whisper stove (that rusted out) and a Coleman style Propane Stove (green bottles). Space is at a premium in my smallish side bags, so it really hurt to pack pots, stoves, and tanks, just to dehydrate a handful of meals. Research started this summer and I found the Jetboil line of products while on vacation in Maine this summer. I picked one up. Well I have used it 3 times since and it works fantastic. It boils just under one liter of water in less than 2 minutes using a isoprop fuel 100ml canister. You can also use the pot to drink your morning coffee.

http://www.jetboil.com/

The main selling feature is that the stand, tank, pan stand, and stove come apart and pack neatly inside the integrated neoprene covered pot. The whole system, complete with measuring cup, pack up to approx. 8" long by about 5" in diameter. Perfect for a lightweight adventure touring machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You say you bought it in Maine - where?

Came all the way south to Maine, did you? Hope our warm summer wasn't too hard on you.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I use a Coleman 'exponent' multi-fuel stove. Here's an advert:
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-550B725-Exponent-Multi-Fuel-Stove/dp/B0009VC7QKand a U-tube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4SD8B6pis

A GREAT thing is that it will run on gasoline, white gas, etc, so you don't need to carry those propane canisters. I pack mine in a plastic container about 8"H x 6 or 7" W.

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM

My family bought me a Jet Boil stove for mother's day and it works so well!! Beats the little one I had for hiking!! It is so quick to boil water and packs so small. Totally worth the $$.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
You say you bought it in Maine - where?

Came all the way south to Maine, did you? Hope our warm summer wasn't too hard on you.
Yes we usually hit Acadia National Park every summer. My wife and daughter love to kayak Frenchman Bay in Bar Harbour. Bought the stove at Cadillac Mountain Sports.

Ha Ha yes. A whopping 3 hrs drive south was tough on our Canadian asses. Having said that, I spent 3 weeks south of DFW Texas in October 2007, and was almost taken to the hospital.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 AM

One of my riding buddies has the jetboil and he loves it. He is also a very serious mountain climber and uses it all the time in extreme conditions. However I have never seen him cook anything with it, I think you may need another attachment if you wanted to put a pan on top to cook anything. It seems to be the best deal if all you do is boil water, but I'm not so sure about cooking anything??

I bought one of these tiny little stoves 4 years ago and love it.

Dimensions when stowed: 2 x 2 x 3.2 in. I loved it so much I bought a 2nd one so I could have two stoves going at once when cooking.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6EO0SS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 AM

got one for solo camping about a year ago, love it. not so effective for cooking for a crowd but it pulls through in a pinch (once had 6 folks crammed into my tent during a deluge, dinner was slow but very appreciated)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using jetboil for several years. Packs in its own cup and boils water fast. Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, and mountain house freeze dried meals at the campsite. Wendy's salad or subway sub for lunch so I can get my fresh veggies. Fruit for snacks during the ride.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 PM

I used a JetBoil on my long trip a while back. It was perfect!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 PM

I use an MSR pocket rocket, but I've had my eye on a Jetboil system for a while.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 AM

I made one of these a few years ago and have been using it ever since. Tiny and light, works great, free (basically) and burns cheap denatured alcohol.
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 AM

I mainly use Bob Evens

If you ever ate my cooking you'd KNOW this is a good choice for me...burned water anyone?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...If you ever ate my cooking you'd KNOW this is a good choice for me...burned water anyone?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM

It makes sense to me to use a stove that uses the same fuel as my motorcycle. I have never seen a Whisperlite rust out. I now use one that is a little lighter and a little more compact called a Simmerlite. It is not made any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode