Is it a crime to love your child? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it a crime to love your child?

My friend Jim Kaiser is in a little bit of trouble. He was sharing custody of his son Ben. Ben was diagnosed with ADHD and his mother put him on medications against Jim's wishes. Jim thought Ben would do fine with extra care, attention and possibly home schooling but the court disagreed. The court ordered Jim to give Ben the drugs or risk the right to see his son. In desperation, Jim "kidnapped" Ben and took him to Florida for three months.

During that time, Jim home schooled Ben and he did extremely well. They were eventually caught and Ben was returned to his mother and put on meds again. Ben doesn't like the drugs. He doesn't like the way they make him feel.

Jim is now facing criminal charges. He could plea bargain but that's missing the point. He is willing to let this go to trial if it argues the point that the state has no right to force a parent to give a child mood altering, and potentially dangerous, medications.

Jim isn't a criminal. Yes, what he did was against the law but he felt it was the only way to prove that Ben is a normal nine year old boy. Take a look at their website. It shows the cop interviewing Ben after three months drug free. He's a model child. Even the cop says he's smart and very mature for his age.

Jim and Ben's website is www.mynameisben.org. Jim has about a year to build up his defense fund before he goes to trial. If you can help him out we sure appreciate it. And if you can help spread the word we appreciate that too.

Thanks

Last edited by charly; 12-13-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Wow. This is one of those tough situations. Thoughts & prayers to your friend & his family...

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Any parent who needlessly medicates their child with drugs for alleged ADHD type of behaviour is unfit to be a parent IMHO . Our children are just that .....Children , they are loud and fidgety with short attention spans , just like all of us were at that age . I applaud your friends decision although now he is in a legal bind , breaking the law here only helps by showing that you do care for and love your child , but the law is the law , a good lawyer doesn't look at emotion or interpret moral decision making (right or wrong from a moral standpoint, legality be damned ) ......they only care about the case law . For what it's worth my step mother used to beat the crap out of me and instill serious emotional abuse as well ( which as a young child is worse than being hit ) , my mother kidnapped me and my brother and we lived on the run for some time till the RCMP found us ...........she ended up getting custody eventually , the judge asked us who we wanted to live with and forced us to visit shrinks etc.... if your friend can get his son to talk to the judge ,with the help of a good child welfare agent and profess that he wants to live with dad and not take drugs and is willing to talk with a child therapist at regular intervals and report back to the court etc.....this may help with his case . I feel very sorry for your friend here , it is a tough call when it's your son and your told that your opinions don't count and the goverment oversteps their authority , I would lay my life or my freedom on the line to do what I feel is necessary to protect my child , that is the fathers job , I hope it all works out for the child .

** This space for rent **
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM

I hope and pray everything works out for Jim.
Agreed with BlackHammer, the child is the FIRST priority. He deserves the Best.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode