Round Britain ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Round Britain ride

Just for interest
heres a guy who is planning to ride round the coast of the UK, around 4,000 miles over ten days at the end of this month. yes you heard that right, not in summer but in winter

http://www.roundthecoastforcancer.co.uk/index.html

he's a local (well local to me) but he has, may still be a Versys rider, although sadly he's doing the ride on a Harley Diansaur.. photos 14 & 15 show him astride a versys leaving the Nurburg ring

Last edited by healdem; 12-11-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

actually just found out, he's doing on his Versys, not an HD, dunno where I picked that up from......
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:35 PM

That is a great story, hope he makes it and raises lot of cash for cancer research.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Well Rob has (we think) set off this morning on his Versys. Various people were going to start the ride (me included) but the weather forecast is pretty grim with snow, ice, freezing fog but as far as we know Rob is off on his oddessey
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Great thing he is doing! He got my support! My dad is fighting cancer now.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Rob is about 60% through the ride but has hit a problem this morning
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=7292.0
can anyone help diagnose this fault?
Quote:
i've spoke to Rob and he is in big trouble with the electrics on the bike
DK motorcycles (his local K dealer) are also trying to help but are also no having a lot of luck.
he has tried all the normal things such as
fuses [about 8 in total]
clutch sensor
down sensor
sidestand sensor
main 30 amp seperate fuse
he is an engineer with a life time with bikes so does know what he is doing as in trying to start it.
the F1 light does not light up when switching on the key, turn the bike over then switch the key off and the F1 light comes on then goes off.
just remembered i forgot to say the rectifier being faulty gives the same faults

anyone know anything else
Quote:
just rang him, he's no spark or fuel plus the weirdness of the F1 light - comes on when turning over only.

its very unusual to lose both fuel AND spark, but would nromally point to the ECU but their very robust. Espcially as he's been riding for days in crud weather, suspect he's a weirdo open or short somewhere? going to have a look at the wiring diagram, might be lucky and reconcile a fault that would give these symptoms?
Robs an ordinary bloke who decided to do this trip in winter.. however he is so skint he didn't/couldn't take out breakdown cover so right now he's stuck in fife some 250 miles from home with a non functional bike.
http://www.justgiving.com/roundthecoastforcancer/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

well it looks like Rob's ride round Britain is stalled. hes been towed back to Edinburgh, where he hopes to get a fix from a Kawasaki dealer. failing that he's threatening to take his helmet and start walking the rest, hoping to get a lift or pillion.

the man's crazy.......

we knew that before he left, apparently he has to take daily morphine to survive the pain from the inoperable cancers on his legs. but to consider walking / hitching / riding pillion at this time of year is way beyond bonkers.. its absolutely puddled
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Yep, unfortunate news! I hope he gets it all sorted & can get back under way!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM

sounds like maybe a bad coil??
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

unfortunately theres no K dealer/mechanic open till Jan int he Edinburgh/Fife areas. so the bikes gone to a Suzuki/Yam dealer in Falkirk. they've checked the obvious things they can think of but are now stumped until they can speak to Kawasaki themselves. so they hope to get the bike back on the road in early Jan. meanwhile Rob has overnighted with some contacts off the ADV forum, borrowed a Transalp and reached JoG in snow sleet fog.

Quote:
This is on the XRV forum from the Great SteveT
*Well there's no putting this man off his objective!After updating Rob this morning about the weather that was heading for the North East of Scotland, he still was up for going for it.So we got booted & spurred, fettled the bikes and set off onto roads covered in slush . . . . . straight into a blizzard! And that was before we'd reached Elgin just 3 miles from the house.After fueling the machines at the big T store, we discussed the weather, as Brits like to do. "Look" says Rob, "I can see blue skies underneath those snow clouds!". And so we set off into a diminishing blizzard.Unfortunately, after that blizzard had died away, so another started up just 3 or 4 miles down the road.With a rather large patch of slush in the middle of our side of the carriageway, there was little chance of "making progress". The Alp, on TKC80's, was managing fine. The Vara, on Michelin Pilot Roads, was not. After several butt clenching moments, and having got as far as Nairn (25miles) I pulled over and informed Rob that I'd had enough and was turning about. I think it was the Policeman standing next to the longwheel base van that had spun off the road just before Nairn that finally made my mind up!Being the nutter that he is, he carried on confused. I got home covered in ice & snow, in a now constant white out!YES, I'M A WUS.Just got off the phone to Lowflyer in Inverness - Rob just phoned him from John O Groats - He made it 170 miles in 4 hours in sh1te weather.Told he was mad.Will update when he's back at Lowflyers - the Rob's going that'll be in about 2 hours My poor little Alp Steve
Itks rob's birthday...52...not a bad memory to have...
this is one seriously driven man
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

well Rob has finally got home, got as far as John O'Groats, then hitch hiked/got lifts from Inverness to Carlisle via Fort William. did the final leg on a loan bike from a mate. raised about 2,000 for cancer research charities.

his bike is still stranded in Falkirk, apparently the problem has been diagnosed as a faulty ignition switch, so with luck it should be on the way to being fixed.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Great Posting Healdem! And True Grit on show...
Anyone who wants to follow Rob's progress as he went round, the pitfalls and help he met, can read the thread on the UK forum at:
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=7218.0

Plus there are some pics and Rob's own daily blog at:
http://www.roundthecoastforcancer.co.uk/

A taste:
"Some stats -

I slept on - 8 beds, 2 settees, 1 floor, 1 bar bench. Used 3 bikes, 7 buses, 4 cars and 3 transit vans. Mileage is a bit vague, the V was up to 2700 +. Transalp to JO'G 390, Ninja will be 520, buses 750 approx, lifts 200. So a guess would be a TOTAL 4,560 miles. Fuel stops 17.
Longest day, the last one - 475 icy cold miles. Most welcome stop was the hot shower after J.O"Groats at John's house Inverness. It hurt at first but after ten mins was so nice. Anstruther, The Great Glen and the barren J.O'G. are favourites, with Mousehole a southern fave. Only 16 pints of Guinness !! (got some catching up to do there), 4 glasses wine, 2 champers and 3 bucks fizz (for breakfast New Year's Day). 12 litres water, 36 cups of tea, 3 latte`s, and just a paltry 4 wee drams, the majority of the alcoholic units were consumed at Johns Hooose !!! Inverness.
Funniest moment - the look on a postman's face as I came around a icy corner moto x style, crossed up sideways hollerin to myself.
Worst bit of the trip stuff was the demise of the V, the pain of J.O'G and Shap (-15).

Best bit - The Finish Line."

Rob's raised 2097 for cancer research on his site - it's not too late to donate.

Last edited by EasyTiger; 01-07-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode