How safe do you feel on a 1 to 10 scale? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How safe do you feel on a 1 to 10 scale?

I had this discussion today. I'm referring to safety in general. Do you feel safe in your city? Country? What issue of safety do you have concerns about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM

I feel safe . But I always try to be aware of my surroundings .
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 PM

I feel pretty safe (9 of 10), but stories like this from my city make me more cognizant of the dangers:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08...-in-crash.html
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm afraid all the time. I think I'll go wet myself.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 AM

Garage
Well considering I am slowly dying (like everyone else, one day at a time), and pass the Midway point 45(maybe). I like to think when riding I'm about a 5. Now if I knew better I would be terrified. Everyone is out to get me.......
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 AM

Safety is an illusion. Life is delicate. Enjoy every day because anything could happen.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Safety is an illusion. Life is delicate. Enjoy every day because anything could happen.
I believe in mitigating as much risk as possible while still enjoying life. Even so, seemingly healthy people drop dead every day.

Humans are probably one of the most fragile creatures on this earth.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I don't even think about it. I take precautions (ATGATT) as a rule, try to stay aware of my surroundings, and just "keep-on keepin' on"...!

So FAR it's worked!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I had this discussion today. I'm referring to safety in general. Do you feel safe in your city? Country? What issue of safety do you have concerns about?
I think the more miles you have under your belt the safer you become. If you are the kind of person to take risks or just naturally be distracted though you are probably more at risk. IMO defensive driving is important. I.E. slowing before intersections, scanning before crossing, looking both ways before proceeding on a green, etc.. Gear makes an enormous difference too, if you crash, on the severity of injuries sustained. Over all though I feel very safe on the bike.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
10. No safety concerns whatsoever up here in Canada. We don't feel the need to carry a gun or anything either... I do feel very safe. I never even think about it.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Feel pretty safe riding around 9 out of 10 but number drops closer to 5 out 10 near the mountains where the odd orc has been know to chase motorbikes or overseas tourist driving on wrong side of the road.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM

So a cop stops me. Asks me to step out of the car. Finds the 9mm in the glove box, 40 S&W under the seat, AR15 in the trunk. "What are you afraid of?" he asks. "Not a damned thing".
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Well considering I am slowly dying (like everyone else, one day at a time), and pass the Midway point 45(maybe). I like to think when riding I'm about a 5. Now if I knew better I would be terrified. Everyone is out to get me.......
Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you. Think about it. . . ..
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quotes from "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth"...

I'm reading the book - "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" written by Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut who was recently the commander of the Internat'l Space Station for six months, and here are two quotes from near the end of chapter three, that to ME fit right into this thread:

"You don't have to walk around perpetually braced for disaster.... But it sure is a good idea to have some kind of a plan for dealing with unpleasant possibilities."

"My optimism and confidence come not from feeling I'm luckier than other mortals.... They're the result of a lifetime spent visualizing defeat and figuring out how to prevent it."

I met Chris some years ago and flew w/ his brother Dave when I was a B727 captain. One HELLUVA guy!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'm reading the book - "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" written by Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut who was recently the commander of the Internat'l Space Station for six months, and here are two quotes from near the end of chapter three, that to ME fit right into this thread:

"You don't have to walk around perpetually braced for disaster.... But it sure is a good idea to have some kind of a plan for dealing with unpleasant possibilities."

"My optimism and confidence come not from feeling I'm luckier than other mortals.... They're the result of a lifetime spent visualizing defeat and figuring out how to prevent it."

I met Chris some years ago and flew w/ his brother Dave when I was a B727 captain. One HELLUVA guy!!!

I read his book a few months back! What a great guy, and that's so cool you got to meet him. He's got a lot of good lessons to teach (especially relating to my career field!). I think my favorite was about "sweating the small stuff". A lot of people like to say "don't sweat the small stuff", when in fact, you should. Small things can turn into big problems. This is applicable in space, flying, riding, and whatever. My other big takeaway was always thinking about "the next thing that can kill me".

If we're talking about riding, I usually feel pretty safe. I'm a firm believer that "**** happens" is bull****. While there can be some extreme accidents out of your control, the majority of bad situations you may find yourself in are due to the fact that you let yourself be there. A great technique created by a legendary US fighter pilot by the name of John Boyd was the OODA loop: observe, orient, decide, and act. Observe your surroundings (what's the next thing that can kill me?)... orient yourself (where do I fall into what I've just observed and what can I do?)... decide (choose the best solution and go with it)... act (make it happen!).... repeat! If you are constantly running this loop through your head, you stay ahead of the game in almost any situation.

As far as how safe I feel in general? Not much trouble in the SE USA. Like country or city, there are always places to avoid. I find that in everyday life, applying some of the above principles like I do while flying or riding helps keep me on the right track and out of bad situations.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
A great technique created by a legendary US fighter pilot by the name of John Boyd was the OODA loop: observe, orient, decide, and act. Observe your surroundings (what's the next thing that can kill me?)... orient yourself (where do I fall into what I've just observed and what can I do?)... decide (choose the best solution and go with it)... act (make it happen!).... repeat! If you are constantly running this loop through your head, you stay ahead of the game in almost any situation.
I love how people can put labels on the obvious. The trouble with things like this is (IMHO) is riders take it to literally. Riding should be a nice experience. Not a mind f###. Of course we need to be aware, be confident and anticipate. The action should take care of itself. Just enjoy the ride.

Oh yeah, how safe do I feel? Totally safe. I occasionally get scarred / get into unsafe situations, but I'm not continuously scarred. Otherwise, why ride at all?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Another Canadian astronaut (whose name I don't recall) rode my flight-deck from Halifax to Toronto back in the '80s. This fellow is a doctor, and took care of a passenger (at the gate), but the flight was full, so I took him "up-front" as 'thanks'.

BTW Ed - what are you flying/ going to fly?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 PM

10 years as a Firefighter taught me to "Prepare for the worse and hope for the best"

You can't live your life in fear BUT you'd be a fool not to look both ways when crossing the road.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
I love how people can put labels on the obvious. The trouble with things like this is (IMHO) is riders take it to literally. Riding should be a nice experience. Not a mind f###. Of course we need to be aware, be confident and anticipate. The action should take care of itself. Just enjoy the ride.
You might think it's obvious, but many people simply allow themselves to be affected by their environments as opposed to being in control. Now keep in mind, I'm definitely coming from a survival/military sort of perspective, but it's one I've found useful in many situations. For what it's worth, I do agree with you to a certain extent... It's not like I'm some robot going through calculations, feeling no emotion. The process should become second-nature, allowing you to have the best experience. My philosophy is to push the limits while mitigating the risk as much as possible. I fully enjoy my time riding and I'm sure everyone has theirs ways and techniques to maximize theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Another Canadian astronaut (whose name I don't recall) rode my flight-deck from Halifax to Toronto back in the '80s. This fellow is a doctor, and took care of a passenger (at the gate), but the flight was full, so I took him "up-front" as 'thanks'.

BTW Ed - what are you flying/ going to fly?

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Took a C17 ride a few months ago to Germany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode