How BIG is your Chicken Strip? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How BIG is your Chicken Strip?

After reading both of the Twist of the Wrist books, and seeing the new Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD, I still cant get my Chicken Strip off the tires, it is indeed smaller, 1/3 of an inch to be exact, but I chicken out at the last second, It just feels like I'm about to fall, LOL. I will keep trying, I have been riding bikes since 2006, hope this issue will be solved soon. Now, How big, or small is your Chicken Strip?

My V has 2,300 miles and is on stock tires, my first bike was a KLR 06 and it had 17,000 miles before I sold it to get the V. So in my defense ( I hope ) I've only ridden bikes for 19,300 miles.

Last edited by kallkrish; 12-03-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Around 0,5 cm so that in inches should be about 0,2.

Never been on track.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM

None of my other bikes have had them but for some reason on the V I still do. Keep in mind I don't like the stock tires and I've only 2000 miles on the V, but I have pushed it hard in tight corners and was suprised they were still there. The V is tall mind you, well, maybe I wasn't pushing it that hard after all. Patience young Kallkrish.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I too push it hard, but the strips don't go away, I've never been a speed freak anyway.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 PM

I have Speedy’s lowering kit and foot peg lowers installed. After going to the dragon this year I discovered that maybe that wasn’t such a great idea for that road but I did increase the shock preload to 1 click from max. I too still have about 5/16 to 3/8 inch of chicken strips left. My left foot peg feeler is ground WAY down…the right not as much. I have always been better on left turns for some reason. At least the noise and sparks let me know in advance where the chassis limits were. By the way, my wife was riding with me the whole time, she is great…never a complaint…just an occasional thumbs up.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Lee Park's Total Control level one class is excellent. He teaches you how to corner in a large parking lot. You're right there with your instructor just a few feet away. You drag your knee in one day and learn the proper way to set up for cornering, braking and leaning off the bike. Less than 300 bucks. Get rid of your chicken strips for less than the cost of new plastics. Plus.. you get a diploma! (I've got two)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Lee Park's Total Control level one class is excellent. He teaches you how to corner in a large parking lot. You're right there with your instructor just a few feet away. You drag your knee in one day and learn the proper way to set up for cornering, braking and leaning off the bike. Less than 300 bucks. Get rid of your chicken strips for less than the cost of new plastics. Plus.. you get a diploma! (I've got two)
Where do I find said class? I've got a little chicken strip to kill myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM

I got rid of mine trying to stay in front of a Duc 998. It's ok cause we were riding together. He couldn't stay with me in the -35 corners and I couldn't stay with him in anything above 35 posted.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Hey Hipshot, u got stock tires?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM

I'm running stock on the front and a Storm on the rear.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
You'll have to Google it.'Total Control'. Lee Parks is an ex-racer so, (and make sure he is instructing), to spend time with a guy like that and learn from him is invaluable. He is based in Ca.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 PM

If you are rubbing hard parts you have used all of the tire available to you. I scraped the pegs the first time on the Versys during my MSF Experienced rider class. The instructors were cool and allowed the the faster bikes to play on the race track portion alone. There was one bike that ran faster times than mine, it was a liter Yamaha. That girl can ride.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM

I am down to about 1/8"...working on the rest. It is easier on the Roadsmarts that it was on the stock rubber.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I got rid of mine trying to stay in front of a Duc 998.
I will vouch Mr. Hipshot has 0.0 inch chicken strips. I rode with him for a day.

Let me rephrase. I rode behind him all day. He is a very confident rider on a very capable bike. Twas all I could do to keep up to him. My bike is lowered and I did have all my camping gear and clothes with me-- but dude? That man can ride.

Man I miss those mountain roads. argggggggggggg
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I am down to about 1/8"...working on the rest. It is easier on the Roadsmarts that it was on the stock rubber.
How are you liking the Roadsmarts?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:02 AM

So far I like them a lot. They seem to stick really well and so far have worn well. They don't follow highway grooves the way the stock Dunlops did. I ran Diablo Stradas for a while, but I think I like these even better.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Amir,
I 'did' the course in Gilbert (Jan or Feb). Might take it again - it's GREAT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 PM

I don't have pics of all the tires, but since this has come up before, I have a couple I took when talking about this with respect to the original tires.

OEM tires -

Front:

Rear:

My friend Lu Fei took this one of the RoadSmart's I have now after a run to Windy Ridge:

Gustavo

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi everybody,

I think this whole chicken-strip discussion is a mute point. The thing what counts is, have fun and don't ride faster than you guardian angel flies! What I am trying to say is, ride within you limits and don't try to impress someone else. Had to get this of my chest.

Versys Chris
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM

I totally agree, but it is fun trying to get rid of it!

Steve

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode