It's Veterans Day - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's Veterans Day

Note: To our International friends. In the U.S. today November 11th we honor the service of all the Veterans who sacrificed to serve our country.

Yes it's Veterans Day. Thanks to all of you out there who served our country. Your service is much appreciated!

My father and two Uncle's served in WW2 ("The Big One" as Archie Bunker used to say). My Grandfather served in WW1 and his Grandfather and my Great- Great Grandfater Homer Benson was in the 1st Vermont Calvary in the Civil War and fought at Gettysburg, was captured and was held at Libby Prison in Richmond, VA for 3 months until they did a prisoner exchange and he was released. My other G-G Grandfather got here with his 15 YO son from Ireland in 1858 and when the war broke out he joined a regiment in Springfield, MA. He was sent to Tennessee and the last letter his son received said he was ill and for him (the son) to go to Chicago and he would meet him there. His son went to Chicago but never heard from his father again and found his grave years later in a cemetery in Memphis, TN.

All of those men are gone now but what they did lives on. Today is the day we set aside to observe and honor all our veterans.
Thank You so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Thank all of you that serve our country or have served, thank you for our feedom.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Yes, many thanks! My son served in Iraq and may be headed to Afganistan soon.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM

As a Marine serving in southeast Asia years ago my best friend sent me this on a 3X5 card. I still have that card, torn, stained, and barley legible. On the back he asked that I not let anyone cash it for me. I still see it making the rounds now and again and it still makes me pause and give thanks to all of our nations hero's.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Remember Always

A man must be sacrificed now and again To provide for the next generation of men. A.L. ............. Many people don't support the war today , but you can't question the sacrifice the soldiers endure . The strain on family life , being gone 6 months at a time , maybe never coming home , missing births and birthdays . Who I thank daily ---My grandfather who was a Lieutenant Colonel and was Commanding Officer of a military base back east .......he trained pilots for combat , and drank like a true Irish-Canadian . Also one of my closest friends Sergeant J.C. returned home to retire via Bosnia , Serbia , Afganistan , a dedicated father of 3 . Also my best friends brother a Warrant Officer with an impeccable service record , went back to A-Stan to train soldiers even though he had the right to stay home as he was recently retired . All heroes of mine , and to the countless others who provide a way of life for me and my family --------------------Thank -You . *** " If you don't stand behind our soldiers , please feel free to stand in front of them "

** This space for rent **
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Link to slideshow http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=f0b69fa6.pbw

** This space for rent **
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM

My Gradatude to all the Veterans, Salute and Thanks for my countries freedoms thus far. I will not take it for granted. Thanks for linking to photo bucket. Pictures are so powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode