Loud pipes ... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

View Poll Results: Loud Pipes...
Loud Pipes Save Lives 3 23.08%
Loud Pipes Risk Rights 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Loud pipes ...

http://youtu.be/0PR6DYXXq28

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
That video was uploaded in 2009...Heres the new law passed here in Cali..

CALIFORNIA PASSES ALL-NEW STREET MOTORCYCLE SOUND ORDINANCE FOR 2013

A new California law requires street motorcycles registered in the state and built on or after January 1, 2013, to have an exhaust system label certifying the motorcycles meet federal sound limits, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Sept. 28, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 435, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavey (D-Agoura Hills). While motorcycle manufacturers have been complying with the federal law since it was effective in 1983, the new law now makes it a state crime to operate any motorcycle registered in the state that was built on or after Jan. 1, 2013, that doesn’t have a federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system sound emissions label.

In addition, the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013, to display the EPA sound emissions label, and therefore applies to individuals who seek to replace the exhaust system on affected streetbikes.

Violators face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and up to $250 for subsequent offenses. Judges have the discretion to dismiss the fine for first-time offenders if the violation is corrected.

In 1972, Congress passed the federal Noise Control Act, which required the EPA to set sound standards for a number of products. It took several years, but the EPA eventually wrote rules affecting all new motorcycles sold in the U.S. beginning in 1983. Those regulations, which still stand today, required that all street-legal motorcycles be limited to 83 decibels at that time, with a stricter, 80-decibel limit imposed beginning in 1986.

The AMA has long maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle sound. In September 2009, the AMA developed model legislation for use by cities and states seeking a simple, consistent and economical way to deal with sound complaints related to on-highway motorcycles within the larger context of excessive sound from all sources.

To view the legislation, see http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil...chaptered.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Everytime I think I'm going to take off my Delkevic 14" Tri Oval Stainless and put the stock muff back on. I go for a little ride and I always change my mind.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM

I know it would be impossible to enforce, but it shouldn't be how loud it is, but how you use it. So if your at a red light revving your motor for nothing ...ok ticket, but if your just cruising and it's louder than stock give them a break. What the F.. seriously.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM

How can you ride a Harley without revving the engine every five seconds to announce your riding a Harley? My neighbor would die and go broke if they enforced such a sound ordinance.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM

Oh, boy...someone pass the popcorn...

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Garage
I doubt loud pipes really save lives.. but I do like the sound! (unless the rider is the tool that Ian described)

I think the whole debate is biased based upon whether you personally like the sound. It's a much better reason to have loud pipes if you say "they save lives!"
...Kinda like pot heads advocating the health benefits of cannabis.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
I doubt loud pipes really save lives.. but I do like the sound! (unless the rider is the tool that Ian described)

I think the whole debate is biased based upon whether you personally like the sound. It's a much better reason to have loud pipes if you say "they save lives!"
...Kinda like pot heads advocating the health benefits of cannabis.
Are you saying that pot doesn't have health benefits? Are you from the Stone Age? Pot is absolutely the worlds greatest medicine. It will elevate the need to work, it kills the drive to be a productive citizen, can cause you to have an appetite like a starving banshee, it will relax you without the hangover like alcohol....blah blah blah
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyK...RIRZdQ&index=7 ....Before any little girls get their panties in a bunch. I ride with a bunch of Harley Guys and they think that is funny.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 PM

I came off a Harley before I bought the V and I thought that was some funny stuff too. My Harley was obnoxious BTW, and now my bike sounds like a sewing machine.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyK...RIRZdQ&index=7 ....Before any little girls get their panties in a bunch. I ride with a bunch of Harley Guys and they think that is funny.
That's hardcore.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Bleed View Post
That's hardcore.
Nah, just South Park.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Garage
Part 2 .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqCmVXXbk4

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8V7in4esE

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnbSq5vTQko

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode