ANZAC Day - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
ANZAC Day

The 25th of April is a very important day for both New Zealand and Australia as we remember our war dead.

No Video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_Campaign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
In Canada we celebrate Armistice Day on November 11. It is a holiday for teachers and bank workers, but the rest of the country works, pausing to reflect with two minutes of silence at 11 AM.

On another tack here, I must admit to being a bit jealous (ok, a whole lot) of you living in NZ. I just got a postcard from my sister who is visiting NZ. To quote her- "sell everything, move here, buy a motorcycle and ride these wonderful roads" Yep, my sis does know me well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
In Canada we celebrate Armistice Day on November 11. It is a holiday for teachers and bank workers, but the rest of the country works, pausing to reflect with two minutes of silence at 11 AM.

On another tack here, I must admit to being a bit jealous (ok, a whole lot) of you living in NZ. I just got a postcard from my sister who is visiting NZ. To quote her- "sell everything, move here, buy a motorcycle and ride these wonderful roads" Yep, my sis does know me well.
We do remember the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Lest We Forget
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quick facts and figures
•The total population of New Zealand in 1914 was just over one million.
•In all, more than 120,000 New Zealanders enlisted, of whom around 103,000 served overseas.
•A total of 2227 Maori and around 460 Pacific Islanders served overseas with the New Zealand forces.
•11 Victoria Crosses were won by soldiers serving with New Zealand forces.
•At least 3370 New Zealanders served in the Australian or British imperial forces, winning a further five Victoria Crosses.
•In all, 550 nurses served with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, and many others enlisted in the United Kingdom.
•Around 18,500 New Zealanders died in or because of the war, and about 41,000 were wounded. More than 2700 died at Gallipoli and 12,500 on the Western Front.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 AM

Impressive facts about the Māori as well. I didn't realize they were in NZ... Have you seen this? A bit off topic, but a funny movie about the fascinating indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Impressive facts about the Māori as well. I didn't realize they were in NZ... Have you seen this? A bit off topic, but a funny movie about the fascinating indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEUmPdDOLQ
Yep seen it and was funny but also sad at times because it does reflect some part of nz culture in some areas.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Between 1914 and 1916 the New Zealand government acquired more than 10,000 horses to equip the New Zealand Expeditionary Force. It had no great difficulty securing this many horses of suitable quality.

Nearly all the horses went overseas, and only around 3% of them died en route.

They served where most New Zealanders served: in German Samoa, at Gallipoli, in the Middle East and on the Western Front.

More than half of the horses were ridden by mounted troops and officers. Nearly 4000 were draught, heavy draught or packhorses used for artillery and transport purposes.

Many horses died from disease or injury once overseas. Of those that survived the war, only four returned home. An acute shortage of transport, and quarantine restrictions related to animal diseases prevalent overseas, prevented most from returning. Instead they were killed, sold or kept for use by the British army.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Quick facts and figures
•The total population of New Zealand in 1914 was just over one million.
•In all, more than 120,000 New Zealanders enlisted, of whom around 103,000 served overseas.
•A total of 2227 Maori and around 460 Pacific Islanders served overseas with the New Zealand forces.
•11 Victoria Crosses were won by soldiers serving with New Zealand forces.
•At least 3370 New Zealanders served in the Australian or British imperial forces, winning a further five Victoria Crosses.
•In all, 550 nurses served with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, and many others enlisted in the United Kingdom.
•Around 18,500 New Zealanders died in or because of the war, and about 41,000 were wounded. More than 2700 died at Gallipoli and 12,500 on the Western Front.
I might be nit-picking, but I don't think you win a Victoria Cross
... you are awarded it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode