Wazzup with the No Gloves riding? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tigerpawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wazzup with the No Gloves riding?

Been some very nice weather here so I've been out and about, riding the favorite canyons and backroads. I typically give a short wave to other riders if I'm not shifting or something. When someone waves at you, it's pretty easy to tell if they aren't wearing gloves. I have noticed an uptick in riders, mostly cruisers, who are riding without them. I haven't seen anyone wave a stump at me, so I guess the ones who don't wear gloves, go off and throw out their hands just grind them off and then stop riding.

Seriously man, if you're not wearing gloves, don't wave to me 'cause I'd rather not think about your palms shredding into little pieces of gravel, flesh and bone while the Turkey Vultures stop for a meal. Ewwww....

Someday is not a day of the week.
Tigerpawed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Interestingly a 2013 study by the NHTSA shows the fatality rate amount motorcyclists is 10x higher in states without mandatory helmet laws and most people in those states don't wear helmets. Point is that I think most people just don't think about crashing or the risks involved until they actually do, and then they give up riding due to the injuries incurred. I've crashed, wearing protective gear, didn't suffer any serious injuries and am still riding, which I guess gives my a different perspective. From an article called "3 best ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle"...

3) Drink and ride - 33% of single vehicle motorcycle accidents involve a DUI rider
2) Drink and ride on the weekend - 66% of single vehicle motorcycle accidents on a weekend involve a DIY rider
1) Don't wear a helmet or protective gear - most fatal or serious motorcycle accidents involve a head injury, the leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident, by a very large margin, is a head strike

Last edited by twowheels; 04-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Wazzup with the No Gloves riding?

Easy fix. Stop waving at cruisers!!!
and also scooter riders.

Down under, we nod to say hello.

Squids - are those who wear no protection or very little and usually wear singlets shorts and thongs (flip flops) never nod - so we don't acknowledge them for their stupidity.

City scooter riders also squid it. They also don't nod back even if they are ATGATT. We put it down to I mean we ignore them because scooters are not motorcycles

I think nodding is safer. You will never see a headless rider. If you keep waving and someone does hold up a stump I recon you will fall off your bike!!!! Be safe.

Oh and next Halloween you are waving with a fake stump **

** no responsibility taken if they get nightmare seeing you wave a stump!

Last edited by Gigitt; 04-11-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Gigitt is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Member
 
King.Versys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
King.Versys is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was one of those riders when I got my first bike at 18. Always worn a helmet (law here). Rode in shorts and sneakers and never thought about going down. I was actually told by an old irritating guy at a gas station once to get some protective gear. My wife and I didn't think much of it at the time, actually thought it was none of his business.

I am 42 now and am now the old irritating guy. My wife rides her own bike and we are both ATGATT. I don't push the issue but try to briefly mention to younger riders the importance of protective gear. I am great at reading body language. If I get the huff, I wish them a safe ride an move along.

Funny how life changed me with age. I absolutely love seeing the younger guys gearing up. There are tons more clothing options now than there were in 1988. Cost to gear up should not be a factor since there are always close out deals at http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/ Even the cheap stuff is much better than nothing.

I do owe a great deal of credit to the folks on this forum as well as Rock The Gear, Brittany Morrows story/mission.

Be safe folks!!
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Tigerpawed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gigitt, I like the head nod idea. Love the idea of the fake stump...hahahaa...that would really freak someone out!

We have a parakeet named Gidget, she's a sweet bird but doesn't put up with any other bird's guff. Don't cross Gidgie!

Someday is not a day of the week.
Tigerpawed is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eugene Or.
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Easy fix. Stop waving at cruisers!!!
and also scooter riders.

Down under, we nod to say hello.

Squids - are those who wear no protection or very little and usually wear singlets shorts and thongs (flip flops) never nod - so we don't acknowledge them for their stupidity.

City scooter riders also squid it. They also don't nod back even if they are ATGATT. We put it down to I mean we ignore them because scooters are not motorcycles

I think nodding is safer. You will never see a headless rider. If you keep waving and someone does hold up a stump I recon you will fall off your bike!!!! Be safe.

Oh and next Halloween you are waving with a fake stump **

** no responsibility taken if they get nightmare seeing you wave a stump!
HEY, I ride a cruiser and a scooter. I wave at everyone, you never know who might also be a real motorcyclist.

The reason they don't wear gloves (I ALWAYS do) is so you can see their hands more easily. The problem with the "nod" is that you have to be helmetless (just like no gloves) for others to see it, haha.
cyclesarge is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Member
 
genehil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mount Dora, FL
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saw a dude today with a decent jacket... padding, protection, bright orange panels... the works. He also had shorts, sneakers and no gloves and no helmet. Darwin Award candidate.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
genehil is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eugene Or.
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Interestingly a 2013 study by the NHTSA shows the fatality rate amount motorcyclists is 10x higher in states without mandatory helmet laws and most people in those states don't wear helmets.
Every time I see some figures like this I have to think these numbers (if they ARE the actual numbers) are doctored. I have a hard time believing this guy has just increased his chance of surviving an accident X10.

cyclesarge is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Mark Jags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ride a cruiser as well as my V, and my preference is not to wear gloves (weather permitting) because I feel my hands are less restricted, thus have more control. No doubt it's safer to wear them, and maybe some day an incident will happen that will convince me to wear them at all times. But for now, I'd rather not. It's a choice.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]


09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mark Jags is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,743
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Fastoman is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I never take my superbowl ring off so gloves just won't work for me.
rydbayb is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I was one of those riders when I got my first bike at 18. Always worn a helmet (law here). Rode in shorts and sneakers and never thought about going down. I was actually told by an old irritating guy at a gas station once to get some protective gear. My wife and I didn't think much of it at the time, actually thought it was none of his business.

I am 42 now and am now the old irritating guy. My wife rides her own bike and we are both ATGATT. I don't push the issue but try to briefly mention to younger riders the importance of protective gear. I am great at reading body language. If I get the huff, I wish them a safe ride an move along.

Funny how life changed me with age. I absolutely love seeing the younger guys gearing up. There are tons more clothing options now than there were in 1988. Cost to gear up should not be a factor since there are always close out deals at http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/ Even the cheap stuff is much better than nothing.

I do owe a great deal of credit to the folks on this forum as well as Rock The Gear, Brittany Morrows story/mission.

Be safe folks!!

Funny how our stories parallel. Once on this forum and because of other thing, I went ATGATT. And than Hi-Vis!

Hope to never use any of my gear on the pavement, but I have seen the light!

It is a free country and as I always say. "RIDE FREE BE SAFE"





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,319
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Can't say how many pairs of gloves I have, but the number includes armored-mesh for hot days, waterproof for rainy, insulated for cold, as well as regular ones - ALL armored!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am a MTGSTT (most of the gear some of the time). I always wear helmet and boot but the rest of the stuff depends on my mood and what kind of riding I will be doin'. On post gloves are required.
waltermitty is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's neither "right" nor "wrong," and I'm not attempting to be moralistic, but not wearing gloves because it restricts movement seems very similar to the position offered by some people that they don't wear seat belts because it limits their movement. I can't help but wonder what those movements might be.

Still, gloves or no gloves, helmet or no helmet, remains an individual choice (at least in states that don't mandate such things). That being said, almost every local newspaper article detailing the death of a motorcyclist indicates the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. Gloves or no gloves isn't mentioned, probably because it had little bearing, at least in the article-writers opinion, on the result.

My two cents worth.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,501
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
I ride a cruiser as well as my V, and my preference is not to wear gloves (weather permitting) because I feel my hands are less restricted, thus have more control. No doubt it's safer to wear them, and maybe some day an incident will happen that will convince me to wear them at all times. But for now, I'd rather not. It's a choice.


I ride mostly wearing the Mechanix Gloves. Not much protection in a crash but i don't like bulky gloves or having sweaty hands in leather gloves..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Can't say how many pairs of gloves I have, but the number includes armored-mesh for hot days, waterproof for rainy, insulated for cold, as well as regular ones - ALL armored!
Eddie,

Does that imply that some rainy day you should set aside time for a glove inventory? Of course that's always risky because you may discover you're missing a particular type or color glove, and that will only add to the inventory!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I ride mostly wearing the Mechanix Gloves. Not much protection in a crash but i don't like bulky gloves or having sweaty hands in leather gloves..
Have the same Hi-Vis Mechanix Gloves and I see now they have them armored!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,501
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Have the same Hi-Vis Mechanix Gloves and I see now they have them armored!
Really !!! I'll have to check them out.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome