Something heavy to think about - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Something heavy to think about

Today I did a manual update on my virus protection program and it said,

It got me thinking, what if that was me?
I don't think "What would I do different", because I can't change it.
In years, I have just out lived my Dad, he was 59 1/2 when he pasted away.

It also seems like in the obituaries, ages are getting younger??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Live life to the fullest every single day!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My dad lived a week shy of his 85th.birthday. I'll be happy to reach 70.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Get right with God and every day after will be better, whether here or there.

Richard
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
If only you can buy more Time...

You need to watch the movie "In Time (2011)"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:01 PM

I think of death everyday. I rather not think of life. Life can make you miserable.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.Uy9m0fldVPM

Also: Have y'all seen Victory's newest TV ad? What kind of person do they see as their target customer? I sure as hell dont want to be riding with one. I can't find an example to post but it shows a full dresser drifting thru a left hand turn like a flat tracker while the rider daydreams about everything but riding.

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Dad died at 48 (accident) while Mom died at 56 (MANY cancers...). MOST aunts and uncles on both sides made it into the high-80's, low-90's. I'm 70.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Not smoking, not being overweight, eating healthy and exercising goes a long way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Garage
My grandmother celebrated her 98th birthday this year and is going strong with the exception of Alzheimer's getting worse, she is in very good health.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Not smoking, not being overweight, eating healthy and exercising goes a long way.
It really does, but it's no guarantee. Just talked to a friend this weekend who by all appearances is a very healthy and fit triathlete in his late 30's, and who had an heart attack after a hard swim workout , which turned out to be due to plaque build-up in the arteries near his heart, and a piece of it breaking off at a critical junction that was suddenly restricting his circulation. He texted his coach saying that the workout really wiped him out, one text lead to another, and the coach swung by his house and took him to the hospital. Next thing you know he was diagnosed with a Heart Attack, and in the Cath Lab getting a couple of stents. If he had crawled into bed like he was going to, he would have probably died during the night. No history of med issues, no family history, very fit. So yeah, there's no warranties. Take care of yourself and listen to your body....

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 03-24-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: updated for more accurate medical description
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaylin View Post
My grandmother celebrated her 98th birthday this year and is going strong with the exception of Alzheimer's getting worse, she is in very good health.

My father had Alzheimers he was in perfect health otherwise. He was perfect one day then he fell so i took him to the hospital to have him checked out. He was laughing and singing the whole way there but had trouble walking. They admitted him and after 2 weeks he slipped into a coma. He came out of it once and i was lucky enough to be there. But he soon slipped back his body was shutting down and he passed away about a week later.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Live life to the fullest every single day!
I do not fear death. We are all going to die eventually, so why fight it. I do respect death, and do not do stupid things just because.
What I fear is being a old person with a old persons body, looking back at my past thinking of what I wish I had done.
I lay die tomarrow, so I will enjoy today. If I live to be very old, I will have fond memories.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:32 PM

I don't fear death. At some point I'm sure I will welcome it.
I've been very healthy all of my life (I'm 49) until about 2 years ago I started have stomach and colon issues. These issues kept me from doing the things I had always done, travel, camp, hike, be outside, exercise, sports, etc.To be completely honest, many days I was afraid to leave the house, something as simple and mundane as mowing the grass became a major issue. It put a huge stress on my marriage, people who have healthy guts just don't understand how a bad gut can effect quality of life, it's not entirely their fault though because people with bad guts don't generally go into great detail about their problems, they suffer in silence or hide what goes on. Anyway, several months went by and I wasn't getting any better, there were many times I planned how I was going to end it because I was tired of living the way I was. I'm glad I waited because two years later I'm much better and have leveled off to a near normal existence. This experience has changed the way I view my own death though, It's going to happen one way or the other, there are alot of things in life to fear but death is not one of them.

I remember something my BIL told me one time (he's a Pastor and has done a lot of bedside visits with terminal patients).
(Of all the people he has talked to or their death bed, not one of them has ever said "I wish I had worked more and spent less time with family and friends".

Last edited by ray h; 03-24-2014 at 07:34 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM

To a great extent, we are what we eat. Take a good look at our Grandparents lifestyle. Not much in the way of preservatives, chemicals, pesticides and fluoride back then.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
MTS

Life is a wonderful gift!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM

Enjoy it and don't take it for granted!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Good food for thought here. HAWKSHOT99 brought up my main concern about looking back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode