Motorcycle Rentals in VA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Rentals in VA

I am getting hitched (more or less) next may, and my fiancee and I are toying around with different honeymoon alternatives. One option was four or five days in Virginia. Curious if any folk out that way know of [any] motorcycle rentals, and if/whom is a reputable leaser.

While I am at it, any suggestion on places to stay and what not, things to see, etc would be great. I am a history nut, and she loves going were ever I go --thinking of basing oursevles in the Shenadoah Valley and exploring the state from there.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:17 AM

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!!!

If you are a history buff, check out Colonial Williamsburg. It is very cool with lots of reenactments and tours. If you are bringing/renting a bike, you can't do any better than Skyline Drive. Beautiful scenery with lots of twisties (Use caution because of all the people driving slow and pulling over to enjoy the scenery).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 AM

You can rent any bike you want from these folks...Not sure Virginia Beach is a good pick up point, but the have them all

http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals.aspx

Good luck and good ridin...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM

I'll add if your in Williamsburg go to Jamestown. They just gave it a face lift and they found the original fort. The Shenandoah Valley is breath taking, I know, I live there. If your in too history you could spend a year there and not see it all. I don't know for sure but I think Mortons BMW rents bikes in Fredricksburg VA and that would put you right in the middle of the history belt. Congrats and have fun.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I'll add if your in Williamsburg go to Jamestown. They just gave it a face lift and they found the original fort. The Shenandoah Valley is breath taking, I know, I live there. If your in too history you could spend a year there and not see it all. I don't know for sure but I think Mortons BMW rents bikes in Fredricksburg VA and that would put you right in the middle of the history belt. Congrats and have fun.
Thanks for the info gents. I sent an email to Mortons and they replied (rather quickly I might note) that they don't rent, and recommended EagleRider, whom buys some bikes from them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Morton’s is a great shop. They are a high volume dealership with lots of staff, that’s the service you got. I almost bought a BMW GS 650 before I realized I could have the same bike but it had Versys on the side instead of BMW also saved me 6 thousand dollars :-) The best part of course is that you can change the oil with disassembling the bike!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mortonís is a great shop. They are a high volume dealership with lots of staff, thatís the service you got. I almost bought a BMW GS 650 before I realized I could have the same bike but it had Versys on the side instead of BMW also saved me 6 thousand dollars :-) The best part of course is that you can change the oil with disassembling the bike!
I second that notion. The only GS I might break the bank on would be the 1200, but if I am spending the money and want that engine, I might as well get the R1200R --I have a thing for horizontally opposed engines. In fact, in a perfect world, I'd have a garage with at least a Kawa Twin (one down), a BMW opposed twin, and a Triumph in-line-3. Perhaps I would through an in-line 4 somewhere along the lines to, and when I am old and retired (and can find one) an in-line six.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikewithmike View Post
... and a Triumph in-line-3. Perhaps I would through an in-line 4 somewhere along the lines to, and when I am old and retired (and can find one) an in-line six.
Triumph triple--been there, done that, maybe best motorcycle engine format there is. Done 4's, eh, best horsepower I suppose but more likely to have irritating high frequency vibration (also had a Concours, sold because of the vibes), and who cares, there's one in my car. Tough to argue with 15K RPM though. In-line six? Loved the Benelli Sei, but otherwise I consider that format the perfect engine for cars (although I wouldn't turn my nose up at a V12)--as exemplified by BMW engines--and too wide for bikes. Now that Suzuki V6 concept they were showing last year (Strata?), that was hot. BMW, Moto Guzzi, and Ducati twins are what I look forward to trying in the future.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Oh, and to the original poster: I work near Dulles and live near the Eaglerider place in Chantilly. I'd be happy to give you a ride if the scheduling works. Either way, it'd be a short cab ride if you have to go that route. And congrats!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Too AlexDz check out the group rides on this board listed as "Maybe Plan a Ride In the Mountains of Virginia?" and to hikewithmike I also can offer a ride from Dulles if the timeing works out. Its about 20 min. from my house.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Sudden lifestyle changes

Quote:
Too AlexDz check out the group rides on this board listed as "Maybe Plan a Ride In the Mountains of Virginia?" and to hikewithmike I also can offer a ride from Dulles if the timeing works out. Its about 20 min. from my house.
That sounds like a great ride and I would definitely be in, except that I apparently just bought a sailboat with a low-ball offer on ebay! I suspect that's going to tie up the next few weekends at least, but let me know if it gets scheduled and I'll try.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the Lee Parks Total Control riding class up in Columbia MD. Suddenly it seems too late to take advantage of that too!

Now let me get started wadding up $100 bills...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDz View Post
I'd be happy to give you a ride if the scheduling works. Either way, it'd be a short cab ride if you have to go that route. And congrats!
Quote:
and to hikewithmike I also can offer a ride from Dulles if the timeing works out. Its about 20 min. from my house.

Thanks to the both of you, I'll keep that in mind. Looks like there are some great roads out there by which to ride on.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 AM

O yes sail boats...the true black hole of money.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Booked our flights! Going to do a whirlwind tour of Virginia. We fly in late to Ronald Regan, and will catch a rental (car) and begin in Fredricksburg, then a play day at Kings Dominion, and more sightseeing after that in the Historic Triangle. Next, we'll bump over to the south end of the Shenandoah, along the way stopping at various sites. Going to spend a couple days in the valley, and if I have enough money, I might just rent a bike from Shenandoah HD. Rates are the same as Eagle Rider, and it will be in a prime location. Not sure I want a big Harley, but they do have a Blast.

Thanks guys for your help. I let you know if I have more questions along the way. Hope the weather is good, we'll be there the first week of July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode