Laser eye surgery???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laser eye surgery????

Lets hear the good and bad PRK and LASIK surgery stories please.

I've been considering it for awhile and finally went for my LASIK evaluation today. My left eye is a good candidate for LASIK but my right eye isn't good for LASIK, I've got a couple small damaged spots on my right cornea and the doctor isn't comfortable creating the flap for LASIK.
My eyes aren't terribly bad at -3.75 and -4 but they are bad enough that I need glasses to do most things. The doctor said because the correction isn't that much and I've never had any issues with dry eye, the chances of success are higher then many of his patients.
I hate glasses and contacts aren't much better but I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth the risk. I have bifocals now and fully expect that I'll still need reading glasses.
I really need some real life stories, good, bad or indifferent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I did Lasik before 2000. Back then i was never on the computer. It was great for quite awhile. The doctor told me when i got older i would probably need glasses for reading. Well for the last 4 years i do need the glasses like he said only when i'm on the computer or looking at something up close. It was wierd when they cut the flap my little brother was in the room watching and afterwards he said hell no he wouldn't do it. But for me i wore glasses since 3rd grade and it was so worth it to me to have it done. What was cool i told my boss at the time i was going to get it done and he looked at me and said that he would pay for one eye..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I did Lasik before 2000. Back then i was never on the computer. It was great for quite awhile. The doctor told me when i got older i would probably need glasses for reading. Well for the last 4 years i do need the glasses like he said only when i'm on the computer or looking at something up close. It was wierd when they cut the flap my little brother was in the room watching and afterwards he said hell no he wouldn't do it. But for me i wore glasses since 3rd grade and it was so worth it to me to have it done. What was cool i told my boss at the time i was going to get it done and he looked at me and said that he would pay for one eye..
Thank you,
I'm already expecting I'll need reading glasses. Dry eye, haziness, halos and night vision issues seem to be the big complaints after LASIK, do you remember any of that?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Thank you,
I'm already expecting I'll need reading glasses. Dry eye, haziness, halos and night vision issues seem to be the big complaints after LASIK, do you remember any of that?

Nope!!! First week the vision would go from perfect to blurry to perfect again. After the week perfect vision.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 PM

Had it done 18 yrs ago, all went well. Night vision is diminished but I'm 60 now so that can be expected.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 PM
MTS

Always interested but will never do. Had a cousin who things went south on.

After that no way, although odds are everything would be ok.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 AM

I had mine done in 04 sometime, and it was an easy process, I had both eyes done at the same time, I still love being able to wake up and see the alarm clock.

I have noticed a sensitivity to light, but i just got a really good pair of sunglasses.

When the day came to finally do the surgery, I was really nervous and excited, I didn't like the part where i could smell my eyeball burning from the lasers. But... If i had the chance to do it over, i would not hesitate to give up my money.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had it done back around '02. One of the best things I ever did! Especially for motorcycle track riding. Not having to deal with glasses sliding down was awesome. I had bad astigmatism, so, at that time, soft contacts weren't an option, and I tried several times (unsuccessfully) to use hard.

I had a little bit of dry-eye that I just used those artificial tears for. The need for tears gradually lessened.

I didn't have the halos or night vision problems. If you have a good eye doc, they'll check how much your pupils dilate in the dark. If they dilate bigger than the area corrected, that's what causes the halos, IIRC. A good doc won't do the surgery under those conditions.

I do need reading glasses now, but I'm over 50, so that's to be expected. About 5-6 yrs ago, I started needing a mild correction for night driving. The past few years, I now need them for all distance stuff - driving, tv, movies. But that's less because the lasik "isn't working" and more because I have cataracts that are getting worse.

Your eyes do change over time. If you have a prescription that's still changing every 1-2 years, that's something to consider, as it may effect the longevity of the lasik correction. If your prescription has been stable, the correction should last a long time. They can also do "touch ups".
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 AM

I think the "touch ups" down the road will vary with which procedure the first doctor used. I've been told that my eyes cannot be done a second time. My right eye lasik treatment was performed out some for reading, so for distance in that eye I began using a soft contact lens. The left eye is fine for distance but reading no, but then at my age reading glasses are common.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 PM

I had it done a few years ago, 5 or 6. Mine went good, no problems. I did have some dry eyes and still occasionally use eye drops. But that was not bad.

The actual surgery was not fun. It only lasted about 2 or 3 minutes but I hated it. I don't like anything put into my eyes which is why I could never get used to contacts. The first day of the surgery was bad. Like I said the procedure was short but it stunk. Then I went home and had problems sleeping because of the mask over my eyes and the exessive tears that would not stop.

Over all I am glad that I did it. I wore glasses for about 40 years and it is great to be able do ride motorcycles, swim, and do other things and be able to see without the need for glasses. I do have to wear reading glasses. My close vision got worse after the surgery. Some people do one eye for near and one eye for distance and it seems to work for a lot of people. Check into that.

Good luck and don't go for the cheapest. You only have one set of eyes.

Glenn
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM

I've been wearing CRT lenses for 10 years now. They are rigid lenses you wear at night. While on your eye, they mod the shape of your cornea. I get up in the morning, take the lenses off my eyes, and I'm 20/20. I can go for two days before I begin to notice blur, but wear them every night for consistent habit. I am still legal to drive into the third day. A great side benny is my eyes used to change prescription every couple years when I wore soft lenses. My prescription hasn't changed in a decade now. Get lasik, and you could still have to get reshot in as little as two years, at least that was one of my prime considerations.

With CRT, I can swim, dirtbike, ride for hours, ski, shoot, everything, just as naturally as somebody with natural vision.

Its been around for a long time, just isn't as fashionable as lasers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Rocketeer View Post
I've been wearing CRT lenses for 10 years now. They are rigid lenses you wear at night. While on your eye, they mod the shape of your cornea. I get up in the morning, take the lenses off my eyes, and I'm 20/20. I can go for two days before I begin to notice blur, but wear them every night for consistent habit. I am still legal to drive into the third day. A great side benny is my eyes used to change prescription every couple years when I wore soft lenses. My prescription hasn't changed in a decade now. Get lasik, and you could still have to get reshot in as little as two years, at least that was one of my prime considerations.

With CRT, I can swim, dirtbike, ride for hours, ski, shoot, everything, just as naturally as somebody with natural vision.

Its been around for a long time, just isn't as fashionable as lasers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology
Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know about this. My diopter range falls within the suggested (3.75 and 4.0).
Can you see ok with the lenses in or do they mess with your vision?
I've tried soft contacts but I had issues keeping them from rolling up while putting them in, once in they were completely comfortable so I don't think I would mind wearing hard lenses part of the time.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Garage
I did lasik in jan of '04. No problems at all. Now as I got older I need reading glasses. I just use the cheap $2 wally world magnifying glasses. I tend to forget where I put them.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM

I had it done in '07. I'd do it again. +1 on the burning smell of the eyeball, but it's a 30 second procedure with the technology now. I had my eyes offset, so I could put off reading glasses a few years. I'm 51 and just now starting to need them.

For the first few years afterwards, i had 20/15 vision. Now it's 20/20. I do have some dry eye issues with one eye, particularly when it gets cold and/or windy.

After 36 years of wearing glasses/contacts, I'm so glad it went through it. I camp and run a lot and it was very nice just to not have to worry about it for those activities (not to mention motorcycle riding).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM

They are not meant to be comfortable as daily wear contacts. You put them on when you are ready for sleep. Close your eyes, fall asleep, and they don't bother you.

That said, here's how they work for me. I put them on when I'm ready to climb into bed. Even after 10 years with them, I feel them when I put them on my eyes. That's because they are shaped to change the shape of my cornea. They aren't even on the sides or center. They aren't shaped to match your eye's curvature, they are shaped to change your eye's curvature. When I put them on, they are not immediately clear. I blink a couple times, and can tell they are already reshaping my corneas. In less than 10 seconds I can see as if they are day wears, but can still feel them. I lay in bed and read or watch the evening news, no problem, much like standard day wear. I've watched a movie before bed with them in. Fine. I've put them on during the day for a couple hours to tune my eyes back into focus (Infrequent occurrence when I've decided to go without overnight for 48hrs or so). They get uncomfortable after a couple hours of pretending they are day wear lenses, but that's because you should normally be asleep, not feeling and nor caring. When I wake up, I feel fine. I don't have to immediately remove them, but I do, cause its just part of the morning ritual of S.S.S.

For me, its awesome. I do all the same stuff as somebody who doesn't wear any sort of correction, whether that be glasses or contacts. No worrying about them floating off when swimming. No dry eyes from motorcycling. I got my first glasses when I was 12. I got my first gas perm contacts when I was 16. I got my first soft lenses when I was 22. I wore soft lenses until I heard Paul Harvey mention CRT on the radio. I asked my optometrist about them and it turned out he was one of the best fitters in Boise. I asked him why he didn't tell me about them before. He said, "because Lasik is so cool, that's all people ever ask about." I said, "but I never consider Lasik cause my eyes are always changing." He said, "yup."

I'll be 45 in August. For years now, I don't even think of myself as a contact wearer. Why should I? I'm asleep when they are in.

Find a doc that will talk honestly with you. They aren't for everybody, but they sure are for me.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Retro, definitely something I'm going to look into.
This is like some great big optometry secret, I wonder why it isn't advertised much? I guess because there aren't as many people who would be candidates?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
My wife wore 'coke-bottle' glasses when we met, so 15 years ago she had her eyes "lasered". DRAMATIC improvement in her vision!

BUT (and it's a BIG but...), she experiences "haloing" around light sources at night, and can NOT tell if a car coming toward us is head-on in our lane, or in the other one, so she can NOT drive after dark.

That's OK, 'cause I'm her "designated" after-dark driver.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode