Quick question for a trip (US) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quick question for a trip (US)

I was wondering if middle of June to early July would be a good time to experience the rocky mountains. My focus is Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 PM
MTS

Later July early August would IMO be better. Less moisture, June can be brutal and I would mark that off as a no go. On the right year it might be ok but?

I try and go over beartooth pass, top of the world and into Yellowstone Park on my birthday July 23 every year, and its almost always nice!

You will have a great trip! By the way park officials told me I was too close to this bull moose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0058.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	40313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0067.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	40321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0168.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	40329   Click image for larger version

Name:	0125121946.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	40337  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 01-18-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 PM

trail riding mountains

Don't forget a lot of trails are still blocked with Winter snow,most are open by July 4///Good luck
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 PM

I did a Florida to Montana and back trip in July 2012... Headed out west on June 29th through Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas toward Pueblo, CO... Cripple Creek, CO... Breckenridge, CO... Rawlins, WY... Big Horn, MT... Billings, MT... Beartooth Pass... Yellowstone... Grand Tetons... Jackson Hole... Salt Lake City... Grand Junction, CO... the Million Dollar Highway... Sand Dunes National Park... then headed home through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama back to Panama City. July was a great time to be in the Rockies... but I was ever so thankful that I threw a sweatshirt in the bag as an afterthought. It came in handy at high altitudes and in the early mornings a few days during the trip.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
As long as there aren't fires around. I went the beginning of July 2012. Look at my thread here:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20371

It can be real hot in the valleys and snow up in the mountains. Be prepared.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the posts! Also another question I had was what maps do you recommend? Ive had AAA maps and the like.. but was wondering if there is something better for all the states. Already planned on Butler maps for the western states I plan on hitting. Just wanted ones for the rest.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hey WallCrawl, I just noticed where you are from. I'm planning on heading up that way end of May or early June. Going to run the coastline of Lake Champlain and tour VT, NH, ME and the rest of New England. Is that a good time of year?

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 PM

I would look out for fires. I think June would be fine in CO, unless you really want to go out into the forest and such. You really dont have to worry about bugs, especially in Colorado.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 PM
NYG

MTS,
The picture of the guy and the moose--is there a follow-up obituary for him or did he walk away?

Wall--I'm jealous of the trip.

Two-wheel--I'll pm you; I don't want to hi-jack Wallcrawl's post, but I'm about fifteen minutes south of Lake George and can provide some input.

Mike
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM

I mapped each of my 19 days in Garmin Base Camp then transferred them all into my Zumo GPS. As a backup I also took along Rand McNally laminated maps for each state I was going to travel through. Didn't use them.

Each day I knew my start and stop points... I followed the magenta line most of the time but did take the odd detour/side trip. Afterward, I just navigated back to my magenta line and followed it to the end point for that day.

Rinse and repeat for 19 days.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Garage
I think you'll be find in June. But Given our wacky weather over the last few years, anything is possible.

"Normally", all high country roads and passes are free of snow by early June. With the 4x4 passes being the only exception.

High mountain roads like pikes peak, mt. Evans and trail ridge road in rocky mountain national park are cleared and drivable by Memorial Day.

Cool/cold mornings usually give way to nice warm afternoon, and if we are not stuck in a monsoonal flow pattern, clear skies should follow.

Do you have any planned itineraries yet?

'09 Versys
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 AM

I did Pikes Peak, Mt Evans and Trail Creek Rd in June without any problems. Crossing most of CO was cold though, low 50's whereas south Idaho was baking hot. Only time I was blocked by snow was north Idaho, St Maries Rd I think it was.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 AM

Wyoming was good to go in early June last year. My sister lives in Jackson, met her for lunch in Moose, Wyo.

On the deck at Dornan's, t-shirts and shorts weather.

Teton National Park

near Dubois, Wyo

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
MTS

[QUOTE=NYG;509202]MTS,
The picture of the guy and the moose--is there a follow-up obituary for him or did he walk away?

I had drank too much that day!

Just kiddin Good Lord!

I believe that is a famous photo shop job! LOL

Although I have seen some unbelievable things in the park. Some have to do with people getting right next to a Grizzly!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
NYG

I was hoping it was photo shop, but it wouldn't stop some people from trying it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I was hoping it was photo shop, but it wouldn't stop some people from trying it.
Yellowstone park is not a petting zoo, and the animals are not tame!

I have no idea what some people are thinking!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Twowheels, its a great time, Im also going to do a northeast short tour around that time, should meet up! Im leaving my area and heading east into VT and then NH - ME. Vermont I usually hit the app gap and Lincoln Gap then head east to the White Mountains, do Mt Washington then head east on 302 and back roads all the way to Wells Maine. I get a posh hotel in Ogunquit then head back.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Yellowstone park is not a petting zoo, and the animals are not tame!

I have no idea what some people are thinking!
I photographed a grizzly in Banff Nat'l Park from about 20 yards. There were AT LEAST 25 to 30 people between me and the grizz....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode