Too large... Too close... Encounters of the furry kind - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too large... Too close... Encounters of the furry kind

This is a post from another forum that I thought some of you that have come in contact with wildife on the road would enjoy. This young lady lives in Calgary, BC and had quite and eye openeing experience.

Initially I was planning to stay in town and take care of all of those things that needed doing. But I was out on the bike, and decided to head out of town - I figured that a ride would do me good.

I headed out the 1A towards Banff, and had one of those encounters that do little to settle the mind. Just past Exshaw, I noticed movement on the side of the road. Correction it was ON the road - and a vector that was going to intersect with my bike. I opted to swerve and evade behind the large animal with my bike (I was coming up on it pretty fast, and wasn't sure if I could stop in time). Well, the beast also decided to veer and change course (apparently it wanted a better look at my bike), at which point I put on the brakes for all that I was worth. The rear bucked a bit in the skid - I think that I was very close to losing it.

My first perception was uhhhh BEAR?! No-no-no-NO-NONONO WAIT! Can't be. It's way too BIG! And WAIT-WAIT-WAIT it's not black - it's blonde/silver?!?... ahhhHHHH SH*T!!!! The realization of what I was skidding towards on locked tires set in... I stopped within inches of hitting a Grizzly Bear - far too close for comfort. I have seen plenty of black bears before, but the Grizzly is in a class by itself.

I could have reached out and touched it - I was that close. And anyone who is familiar with the Grizzly knows that they can be very dangerous - a lot more so than their cousin the black bear. As my bike slid unwillingly towards the bear a few thoughts entered my mind. I thought about my leathers hanging up in my closet at home (I was wearing textile because initially I was going on a short in-town jaunt)... I thought about how the bike was likely to hit the bear - and how I was likely to exit the bike... and just how dangerous it would be to be lying on the road near an injured Grizzly... And I marveled at the size of the beast. On all fours it was very substantial - it was a good meter tall, and definitely full grown (a Grizzly can weigh 1000 pounds - we're not talking about a lightweight).

As soon as the bear was clear of the bike I took off - you do NOT stick around a Grizzly, unless you are safely locked inside of a cage. (Nope, not stopping for pictures - and not sticking around to see if he wanted a closer look at me). A little further down the road I stopped to give my hammering heart a chance to slow the pace a bit.

But on the bright side, I have seen my first Grizzly Bear - and been much closer to one than most people can boast.

I continued up and stopped at Lake Minniwanka for a while. Took out the camera as is usual for me.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Glad you and the bear made it out ok. Talk about stopping to let your heart slow down! I bet you had to change your underwear too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode