Motorcycle haters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle haters

How many people do you know that hate motorcycles and/or motorcyclists?
I ask because I work with a small group of people (7), out of the 7, three of them won't have anything to do with motorcycles, three of us ride, the other one used to ride until he had a physical issue that prevents him from safely riding.
The reasons the three hate motorcycles:
One of them is afraid of motorcycles, he had a bad incident when he was younger and won't go near one.
Anothers wife had a very bad experience with a biker gang years ago that has scared her for life, no details but it must've been bad.
The last ones kids won't let him ride because it's too dangerous.

Is this pretty typical? I just find it odd that almost half of them either hate motorcycles because they are dangerous or have had experineces so bad they won't even think about getting on one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

You must really look forward to going to work everyday & spending time with your colleagues....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 AM

"Rollin down the highway ridin with your crew
Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW
A saturday, sunday run cause it's so much fun
We yo motorcycle people and we chase the sun"
Ride baby ride!!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:35 AM

Garage
Does my wife count?

I'm somewhat in the same situation as the OP. I work is a small office and I'm the only one who rides.
I get a pretty even mix of "that's cool", "it's not for me" and "why the h would you want to ride one"

So yea, I think what you are seeing is pretty typical, but the reasons seem to always be different.

Then again, I ride, I like to ride, and I don't really give a **** what anyone thinks.

Merry Christmas Everyone, may spring come soon and summer last long.

Mitch
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:35 AM

Probably 15 years ago I was having a garage sale and a neighbor came down with some friends to check out the offerings. One of those friends saw my bike and went into a speech about "murdercycles." She said she was a nurse so she knew things others didn't.

As it turns out, minutes before I read a story in Motorcyclist. I asked the nurse if I could show her. It was a list of things that result in more deaths than motorcycle accidents. Topping the list: hospital errors. I assured the nurse that I would do my best to stay out of the hospital. Funny, she didn't buy anything at my garage sale.

Not everyone likes motorcycles. Oh well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I asked the nurse if I could show her. It was a list of things that result in more deaths than motorcycle accidents. Topping the list: hospital errors.
Nice!!

OP, I have run into a few in my lifetime. Most folks are open minded, some are just jealous that they can't have one so they bash. In my neck of the woods, most deaths on a MC are caused by people with no license, alcohol, drugs, excessive speed, etc. When someone feels the need to inform me of another death, I simply tell them to wait for the details to come out. Usually it is the riders fault. Sometimes stuff happens and it is beyond the riders control. Those are the risks that we take for the joys of our ride.

As for the haters, I do not engage them. They remind me of talking politics. They will not change my view and vice versa. I simply move along.

On the flip side, I have personally helped 3 friends go from never sitting on a bike to owning their own. All very satisfying experiences.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
How many people do you know that hate motorcycles and/or motorcyclists?
I ask because I work with a small group of people (7), out of the 7, three of them won't have anything to do with motorcycles, three of us ride, the other one used to ride until he had a physical issue that prevents him from safely riding.
The reasons the three hate motorcycles:
One of them is afraid of motorcycles, he had a bad incident when he was younger and won't go near one.
Anothers wife had a very bad experience with a biker gang years ago that has scared her for life, no details but it must've been bad.
The last ones kids won't let him ride because it's too dangerous.

Is this pretty typical? I just find it odd that almost half of them either hate motorcycles because they are dangerous or have had experineces so bad they won't even think about getting on one.
I don't read anything here that warrants the 'hate' word.

I don't know anyone who 'hates' motorcycles.

I know folks who are fearful of motorcycles, jealous of motorcycles, etc.

I know folks who hate noise so only hate loud motorcycles. I know folks who are judgemental and thus label motorcyclists.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I know folks who hate noise so only hate loud motorcycles. I know folks who are judgemental and thus label motorcyclists.

I think twowheeladdict's assessment is pretty much bang on with my experiences. I've narrowed it down to 2 categories: riders or not, there are people who "get" motorcycles and there are people who "don't get it". And I have found that if you don't get it, I could never explain it to you. Likewise, because I do get it, no one could ever explain their opposition in a way I'd understand.

Cheers to those who get it!

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 AM
MTS

The fear factor is interesting! Some of those people would love to ride.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 AM

I really don't give it much thought. I dig it so I ride. I guess in my small mind I believe to each his own. Life is to short to concern myself with other peoples fear.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM

I think I'm glad more folks don't like motorcycles.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post

I've narrowed it down to 2 categories: riders or not, there are people who "get" motorcycles and there are people who "don't get it". And I have found that if you don't get it, I could never explain it to you. Likewise, because I do get it, no one could ever explain their opposition in a way I'd understand.

Cheers to those who get it!
As a rider I understand why a dog sticks his head out the car window
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 AM

I don't really care what others think. I work in a scientific organization so I have mostly foreign folks coming from countries where motorcycles are basic transportation (koreans, chinese, indians, some europeans, etc) so most of them that talk to me about motorcycles have their own positive motorcycle experiences to relay. For my part I'm seen coming in and out of the building wearing my gear year round and will talk amicably with folks about riding, gear, etc. I've got lego motorcycles, a small poster of the '00 kx250 I rebuilt from the ground up, and other motorcycle paraphernalia in my office.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
As a rider I understand why a dog sticks his head out the car window
Because you farted????......................................
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Because you farted????......................................
If you seen what I eat you would understand why my dog does that haha
I can eat indian vindaloo indian hot but does keep you moving so to speak.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Riding's a solo sport....who give a sh*t what other people think.

Lovin every minute of it!

Last edited by Avande; 12-21-2013 at 12:12 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I always enjoy the conversations where the person starts by saying..." I wouldn't ride because (someone I knew) was killed on one!"

My reaction... "Have you known anyone killed in a car, and will you still drive in one...?"

Usually I don't get an answer.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Riding's a solo sport....who give a sh*t what other people think.
+1

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Kinda what I was thinking. Mt wife used to "hate" motorcycles. I think mostly she felt like they were just my way to get away from her, since she was afraid of them. I signed her up for the MSF course, so she could get an idea of what motorcycling was all about, then got her her own bike. Now she loves motorcycles.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Every man dies but, not all men live. I don't want to die on a motorcycle but, it will beat the heck out of being taxed to death!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode