My 4 year old dog got cancer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My 4 year old dog got cancer

We had some really bad news, well is started 3 months ago when my best buddy Max the cocker spaniel got very sick, long story short it was thought it was liver problems from some sort of poison so he came right after some pills and been great for last couple of months but just before we went away for a weekend on the bikes he started vomiting etc and he spent weekend at vets on IV and they did a blood test and came back with lymphoma so he is getting steroids at moment.

My wife and myself are real dog lovers and a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. We not sure how long Max has but while he is going good will take a few photos/vid.

This vid taken yesterday,

Last edited by kiwi 41; 11-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey mate, sorry to hear the bad news about your buddy.
I can only suggest that you both focus on the positives & know that he has had the best 4yrs any dog could wish for, & that you will know when it is time to let him go..........................
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Really sorry to hear your news about Max. What a great looking dog - must be a very good companion.

We're facing the same sort of issue with our beloved 13 year old cat. Still, she's been a good companion as well. That is, of course, as good as cats can be given their independence.

I hope you enjoy the time you have remaining with your spaniel.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Hey mate, sorry to hear the bad news about your buddy.
I can only suggest that you both focus on the positives & know that he has had the best 4yrs any dog could wish for, & that you will know when it is time to let him go..........................
Thanks for that and we will not let him suffer and the hard decision will be made when time is right and grown men do cry.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Really sorry to hear your news about Max. What a great looking dog - must be a very good companion.

We're facing the same sort of issue with our beloved 13 year old cat. Still, she's been a good companion as well. That is, of course, as good as cats can be given their independence.

I hope you enjoy the time you have remaining with your spaniel.
He is a great little buddy and comes to town with me in my ute or pick up truck for you guys. My wife took him to dog training when he was younger and is very obedient, will not even eat unless he is given ok to do so, we can have a house full of people and Max will sit on his blanket 99% of the time with out running around ( he needs a reminder to get on his blanket every once in a while haha).

Understand about what its like with a older cat to as my wifes Persian cat at the end was getting ill and went away to a neighbours paddock to lay down and never get up again.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM

4 years or 14 years, it doesn't matter. You know what your job is right?
Make him as happy as you can for whatever time he has, that's all you can do. He doesn't know the bad news, all he needs to know is how great it is to be part of his pack.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Make him as happy as you can for whatever time he has, that's all you can do. He doesn't know the bad news, all he needs to know is how great it is to be part of his pack.
Love it, sent your quote through to my wife at her work as its a beautiful statement.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Good dog, Max.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hate to hear it Phil, My dad had a Doberman for 14 years and it was his best buddy. When that dog passed away my dad told me that he sat down next to him and cried like a little girl. The only time i ever saw my dad tear up was at his mothers funeral.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post

Well put! I love my dog and feel your pain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Great post by Ray H. Yeah, that's it exactly.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Garage
Bad news and sorry to hear that, enjoy the time you have left and love him as I know you will. It's sad to see a family member go.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM
MTS

Heart breaking!

I always thought they should live to 120 years. Not the case.

They teach us about love!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 AM

Sorry Kiwi about your pup.

I put both of my dogs down within this last year. They were with us 16 years and I knew with each when was the right time. I agree, make the call when the time comes when you ease their pain and put their needs in front of yours. Hugs..
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

He is funny and very very hungry. He is suppose to be on a strict diet. So far he has eaten a dead animal down at the creek then expeled everywhere, stolen our tea of the kitchen bench, stole chooks food. Poor boy eats his breakfast and then forgets he has eaten. Results from steroids. He is happy cos he doesn't know he is sick.

Regarding Max stealing our evening meal meat from kitchen, was mowing the lawns on my ride on mower and around the corner I come and see max with the spoils of war in his mouth, a half thawed packet of boneless chicken so I jump off the mower to get it before he can eat it but he full of beans and takes off and I catch him after running 3/4 away around house but he had already gobbled half of the 0.6 kg of meat. Its out of character for him as he would not come inside unless given permission and never jump up and grab something from kitchen like that. It was funny and would of looked like a keystone cops chase. Steroids making him hungry which is good because as long as he eats and drinks its all good.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
...and grown men do cry.
Yup...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
and grown men do cry.
After I read your posts last night I felt I needed to find my black lab and rub his belly so I went to the livingroom to join him and my wife. I had to tell my wife that my allergies were acting up.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM

I made that decision a number of years ago about the best dog I ever had. A 4 1/2 year old German Wirehair Pointer. Not only was she the highlight of my light, she entertained children at the local hospital where I lived - she would play ball with them, cuddle with them when they were too sick to get out of bed, wrestle with a cat; she was even a spokes dog for the charitable organisation we represented (visited schools etc.).

Then at her tender young age she had 7 heart attacks in a short period of time. I spent over $2,000 on her, trying to find something that could help (this was in 1998), nothing so the decision was made to put my buddy out of her pain. One of the hardest things I ever did. Friends from back then periodically bring her up in conversation, chokes me up to this day when they do.

Hug your critters - my cat will get a giant one tonight, my doggie is in the U.S. with my other half, but I hug him as often as I can.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Sorry to read this. Some folks just don't understand they are part of the family and it hurts when they are ill.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Sorry and sad about your wee dog Phill. We have a 5 year old foxy, small dog, huge apatite. Have you looked into alternative treatment for your dog?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode