KIWI advise sought............. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question KIWI advise sought.............

We have a hankerin' to make our way through buying some land'n'having sheep/grapes/cattle/vegetables or whatever to live off.
We aren't looking to become rich, but on the other hand we don't want to work for no return!
1st off, l don't even know how NZ is with immigrants just now, but l do know that when l actually had a job lined up in Rotarua many years ago, l was refused entry because the policy was that a NZ native could do the job, so l got refused!
I saw this piece of land & wondered if you guys have any feedback & advise to give me...............cheers!

http://www.sella.co.nz/property/rura...l-land/rw5snv/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep i have a look later as its 6.20am and off home soon to see my lovely wife as will leave work at 7am. For some reason the work computer blocks me looking at your link.

Sleep first
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Hi Britmick. Repongarere Road is of State highway 2 South west of Gisborne. I have riden past it numerous times on my bike trips. State highway 2 takes you through the Waioweka george to whakatane, then North. The land you are looking at are about 1/4 acre sections in a subdivision. It is probably about 25 -30 minutes from Gisborne. Excellent riding roads, around the East Cape, south etc. Climate is good, can be dry in summer. The problem for me is that Gisborne is out on a limb. It takes several hours drive to get anywhere. Not my cup of tea. Being a subdivision there would be restrictions on what you can do or build. Obviously this subdivision my not be popular because of its location, hence the price. 49000 is a cheap peace of land in New Zealand. Then you have to build a house and building is expensive here compared to the US or England, from what i have seen. You would be better off buying a block with a house in a more central location, either North or South islands. There are some excellent deals in smaller towns at the moment. Being more central cities are only an hours drive away. You also need to check with Immigration NZ to see if you are eligible to immigrate. Basically they may want to see how much money you will bring to NZ and see if you will be a burden to the tax payer. I am saying that from experience as i had an English customer who wanted to settle here. He purchased a sizable block of land, he had enough funds and an English pension. He did not have to rely on the NZ govt for anything. He was refused residency. He had a son in Aussie so he got around this by spending 6 months of our winter there and 6 months of our summer here.
Check the immigration laws and personally i think you can do better than what you are currently looking at. If you want a recluse type of lifestyle there are some excellent places to be had, same with an urban lifestyle.
I also have family living around the area so i know how far out of reach the place is.
Good luck

Last edited by kiwitourer; 11-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Britmick, kiwitourer knows his stuff and anyway the north island is his island as the south is mine.

Immigration is a hard one here especially if age is against you so you got have plenty of money in your account, setting up a small business and investing in the economy can be a ticket in. The only issue here is watching out for renegade orc's but apart from that its a safe part of the world especially in the south island.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

It says sewage disposal field ready for connection but would presume you will still need spend 20 to 25 k NZ on a sewage system. I got one on my 3 acre block which is a multi chamber thing with filters and aerating pumps.

That is a cheap section in my opinion but it must be a bit isolated but that is only the reserve price.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Question

WTF is a renegade orc????

As you say, your immigration laws are strict, & unless either of you know of a business opportunity I guess l'll just have to be a summer visitor, which isn't really that bad of a thing with you being Southern Hemisphere & the USA & GB being Northern!!!

Here's an out of the box question guys; How much per lb or kilo do you pay for fresh &/or frozen lamb shanks/legs?

The best l can get in the US is $6 a pound ($12.50 a kilo) in US $$$'s.

6.00 USD = 7.24 NZD 1 x US $ = 1.2 NZ $
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
WTF is a renegade orc????....
IF Wikipedia won't tell you, re-watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what people pay and my wife does the shopping mostly and we have a freezer full of stuff home killed from our 3 acre block.
http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/document...ssTheDitch.pdf
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF Wikipedia won't tell you, re-watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy....

Your on to it
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Not sure what people pay and my wife does the shopping mostly and we have a freezer full of stuff home killed from our 3 acre block.
http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/document...ssTheDitch.pdf
Thanks mate, it's dearer here by about US$5 a kilo for leg of lamb, but as I actually like the shank* l'm OK with the price I get it at.

shank* check it out on Wiki' & there were none in Lord of the Things!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
WTF is a renegade orc????

As you say, your immigration laws are strict, & unless either of you know of a business opportunity I guess l'll just have to be a summer visitor, which isn't really that bad of a thing with you being Southern Hemisphere & the USA & GB being Northern!!!

Here's an out of the box question guys; How much per lb or kilo do you pay for fresh &/or frozen lamb shanks/legs?

The best l can get in the US is $6 a pound ($12.50 a kilo) in US $$$'s.

6.00 USD = 7.24 NZD 1 x US $ = 1.2 NZ $
NZ leg of lamb approx 16.00 kg.
Check out " Trademe" nz. check out businesses for sale. plenty to chose from. Need to make sure they are viable.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That's an interesting link to the Trademe website.
We have found out that house/land/lifestyle/rural properties are bloody expensive!!!
So, when we win the lottery we will just rent for 6 months then travel Europe for your Winter.................this rental property is near the top of our list of places to stay....http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/18161.asp
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
That's an interesting link to the Trademe website.
We have found out that house/land/lifestyle/rural properties are bloody expensive!!!
So, when we win the lottery we will just rent for 6 months then travel Europe for your Winter.................this rental property is near the top of our list of places to stay....http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/18161.asp
Tairua is just over the hill from where I live. Very nice place to spend summer. Excellent climate. Reasonably handy to 3 cities. The coromandel peninsula is a beautiful place. Over the Christmas holiday period, end dec to mid jan the influx of holiday makers is quite sizeable to say the least. Not to bad in Tairua. Lots of things to do on the coromandel, good riding roads as we'll.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Those are good prices there mate, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode