To wave or not to wave??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question To wave or not to wave???

In England we would give other 'bikers a cursory nod of the head/helmet (but never to the few Harley/cruiser/scooter/moped riders who were on the road!)
but this downward "point at the floor" thang that most fat assed cruiser riders do around here is to say the least infuriating!!
I'm not their fellow biker buddy, & nor do I want to be, & I guess there's a lot of muttering going on under their stupid looking German Stormtrooper style helmets when l don't 'wave' back....but I do acknowledge fellow ADV style bike riders...........even those on BMW's!!!!

What's your view on "waving"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's an action that requires little effort and may confuse those who know me into thinking I may become sociable. I always acknowledge a dog but not always the high end of the leash.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Garage
Unless my left hand is busy on the clutch, I almost always wave, no matter the type of bike. I also give a signal if there is a cop ahead or anything like that. What comes around goes around.

I may not like the riding style of a cruiser and I may think riding without a helmet is dumb, may not understand why anyone would want a "rocket", but we are all bikers.

This summer I came upon a bike (rocket) and biker on the side of the road. I stopped and found out he just hit a deer, also ended up finding out it was a guy I knew back in highschool. I kept him calm and made sure he was ok until more help got there. When I got ready to leave he and his family thanked me and asked if I knew it was him when I stopped. I said no, but I'll NEVER leave a fellow biker on the side of the road. I just told the guy to take care and pay it forward next time he gets a chance, got in my truck and drove away.

A little courtesy goes a long ways. You never know who might be the first one to drive/ride buy when it is you that needs help.

There are a lot of groups working against bikers, we don't need to fight between ourselves.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 10-01-2013 at 08:39 PM.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
A little courtesy goes a long ways. You never know who might be the first one to drive/ride buy when it is you that needs help.

There are a lot of groups working against bikers, we don't need to fight between ourselves.

Mitch
Well said

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM

When I'm on the cruiser I'm waved by cruisers and rarely by street bikes. On the ZX I'm waved by street bikes and rarely by cruisers. On the Versys, I'm rarely waved but when I'm some times I'm waved by scooters (go figure).
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM

If it's convienent for me I return a wave. I rarely initiate.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I get waved at all the time by all types of riders. I always wave back. I wave to all if possible.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post

Mitch
Agreed -- and so well said I quoted it a second time.

I wave at anyone on a motorcycle. Most return the wave and if some don't, so what? I wave at folks sitting in their yards, farmers in their fields, and kids out playing or riding bicycles. I stop to let people cross the street. I give a nod to cops on foot, on horseback or on a motorcycle. I once worked on a horse farm and learned that when you're on a motorcycle and come up on horses, slow waaaay down and go by as quietly as you can...no point spooking a huge animal with somebody up on its back.

If my left hand is doing something important, like countersteering or working the clutch, I don't wave and figure someone riding a bike who waved at me would understand when I couldn't wave back. I cut other riders similar slack.

I don't get the 1-finger-pointing-down wave that many of the cruiser guys seem to prefer, but whatever. Thinking one's self superior doesn't make it so.

A clearly nonscientific poll based on many years worth of data points has convinced me that people wave far less often in states without helmet laws, and in those states the worst offenders for not returning a wave are women.

There...a lot of not really useful anecdotal information about Bones waving.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 PM

Depends on who you are . . .

For must of us, if it's safe, convenient and you're a confident rider waving is fun, feels good! If you're a jackass, hater, mental midget or maybe you had a bad childhood, it doesn't. If you're a fad or theme biker you only wave to your own. Motorcycle police wave when they forget they're on their work bike. To each his/her own. It's all good.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Love to wave any if a group of cruisers or outlaw bikes go past I always wave for fun expecting nothing in return.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Around here, we wave to fellow motorcyclists....doesn't really matter what they're riding.

The only ones who don't always wave (some do, some don't) are the gang guys.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 AM

Garage
I wave or nod, some wave back some don't. It's all good
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 AM

I give a Maori wave, a quick upward flick of the head.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 AM

I wave at everything, even scooters, when it's clear that they are hobby riders (e.g. from the gear, or because it's on a mountain pass in the alps). I don't expect everybody to return the wave, but I've recently become pissed off at BMW rider groups who just won't wave back no matter what. Elitist BS.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM

I wave and response varies mostly with the cruisers. I used to wave to scooters as they are two wheeled riders but they seem in their own world. I too give a helmet tap leo alert and recently had a couple of sport riders give it to me.

As it gets cooler and less and less folks are riding virtually all of the ones still out wave to each other.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
For must of us, if it's safe, convenient and you're a confident rider waving is fun, feels good! If you're a jackass, hater, mental midget or maybe you had a bad childhood, it doesn't.
Are you a psychologist as well as a n00b?

I'd say that anyone who finds waving fun has led a sheltered life!

But as you say, to each his own!

Last edited by Britmick; 10-02-2013 at 08:37 AM.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Are you a physiologist as well as a n00b?

I'd say that anyone who finds waving fun has led a sheltered life!

But as you say, to each his own!
Aww- Check out the noob calling the noob a noob. Cute.

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Aww- Check out the noob calling the noob a noob. Cute.
Awww, & check out another n00b calling the n00b n00b caller a n00b!

Even cuter!!!
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I get waved at all the time by all types of riders. I always wave back. I wave to all if possible.
+1 Although going through Yellowstone Nation Park all rider waved every time with a peace sign (two fingers). Very cool and a big smile on the face!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

I like to mess with the cruisers that wave.. When they wave at me, I raise my hand and do a rather silly wave like I'm all excited to see them. For everyone else I do the point at the ground thing..
Anyone ever notice the Jeep drivers doing the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode