Boot Liners - "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boot Liners - "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!"

Like Clint Eastwood says in the movie, "Heartbreak Ridge," "My men are trained to adadpt, improvise and overcome!"

We were on the next to the last leg of our return ride from the Smoky Mountain area (total ride, driveway to driveway was 2,212 miles) when we hit a wall of water and wind.

My 2 piece rainsuit did an admirable job of keeping me dry but my boots soaked in enough water to put out a small forest fire!

As we bedded down for the night at the hotel I began dreading the next days 4-5 hour ride which would get me home. The thought of riding with VERY wet boots was definitely not appealing.

As we woke to gray threatening skies, I came up with an idea that worked amazingly well.

You know the dirty clothes plastic bag most hotels place in the closet for you to use? How 'bout that as a boot liner? My feet were dry, I sprinkled them with foot powder, put on a nice dry sock, put my foot in to the plastic bag and then carefully slid my foot in to my still very wet boot. Perfect!

Since the hotel only places one of these kinds of bags in the room, I remove the small trash can bags from the 2 little room trash cans and repeat the process. Another perfect fit!

My feet are dry . . . and remained so the entire ride home, Because it was a semi-cool morning, I had no problem with sweaty feet upon arrival.

I HAVE a pair of water proof riding boots (they're so stiff and clunky they make me walk like Frankenstein!) but I chose not to take them on this trip.

So the moral of the story . . . "Adapt, improvise & overcome!" And try not to ride in the rain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Great thinking! Think I'll throw a few Walmart bags in my right side pannier where all my more "permanent" items are stored... tools, rain gear, tire plugs, etc..

I've also got a pair of NEOS Adventurer Overshoes in there so if I'm smart enough to stop and put them on when I should, maybe I'll never need the bags.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Yes, clever idea.

Or you could wear waterproof boots. Just sayin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 09-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Ewan McGregor or his riding companion (don't recall which) used the same trick somewhere in the middle of Siberia when his boots got soaked through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Garage
Gunny Highway'd be proud.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Garage
This technic is widely use by homeless people ...

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode