Why NZ is obsessed with America's Cup Racing - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Why NZ is obsessed with America's Cup Racing

Has a lot to do with that we are surrounded by water and a great Kiwi sailor/hero who was killed by pirates, Sir Peter Blake. For those that interested in great sailors here is a 6 min vid.
No Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Plus we are a sport mad nation. A lot of people are involved in sport, either personally or with kids. We are a small nation.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Being into sport is better than the other side of our culture which is reflected in this drug driving ad which has gone viral.
No Video
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 PM

Is the Kiwi excited about Kimi Räikkönen joining Fernando Alonso at Ferrari Formula 1 racing team for 2014, along with the new 1.6 turbocharged V6 engine configuration? New ERS will give drivers an additional 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is the Kiwi excited about Kimi Räikkönen joining Fernando Alonso at Ferrari Formula 1 racing team for 2014, along with the new 1.6 turbocharged V6 engine configuration? New ERS will give drivers an additional 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap.
To right as red cars are faster
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

So is the drug driving ad just being pointed at the Maori population???
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Has a lot to do with that we are surrounded by water and a great Kiwi sailor/hero who was killed by pirates, Sir Peter Blake. For those that interested in great sailors here is a 6 min vid.
No Video
As the events of the day have shown, the United States also has a very significant ocean-going history. Perhaps that is why the competition is called what it is called.

I got a chance to watch an America's Cup race when I was in graduate school in San Diego. Back then it was the USA versus the New Zealand and the kiwis won (if I remember correctly).

America - I suppose like all British-derived peoples - has a great sailing history. The one thing that America has that New Zealand (or Australia for that matter) does not have is someone like Oliver Hazard Perry who waged a naval campaign against the British on a fresh-water lake and won. His great line is "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

All respects to both teams this year, I would prefer if the competition would be held not inland next time. The lack of swell led everyone to develop amazing boats that would not last a long time in open water. I remember in San Diego when the boats had to deal with the broken sewage line from town... Those were the days.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
As the events of the day have shown, the United States also has a very significant ocean-going history. Perhaps that is why the competition is called what it is called.

I got a chance to watch an America's Cup race when I was in graduate school in San Diego. Back then it was the USA versus the New Zealand and the kiwis won (if I remember correctly).

America - I suppose like all British-derived peoples - has a great sailing history. The one thing that America has that New Zealand (or Australia for that matter) does not have is someone like Oliver Hazard Perry who waged a naval campaign against the British on a fresh-water lake and won. His great line is "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

All respects to both teams this year, I would prefer if the competition would be held not inland next time. The lack of swell led everyone to develop amazing boats that would not last a long time in open water. I remember in San Diego when the boats had to deal with the broken sewage line from town... Those were the days.
It's starting to remind me of another kind of race...go fast & turn left.

Boats should be raced on OPEN water jmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode