Helmet Laws Suck - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet Laws Suck

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Garage
Picture = 1,000 words.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
MTS

Oh yah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Reminds me of that great quote, "Oh yeah, well watch this!"

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Garage
Nice pic. Wonder if they changed their mind afterwards?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM

The Irony!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Garage
Helmet laws do suck. I dont want to HAVE TO wear my lid. Ill wear it by my own choice though.

I went for a ride the other day that took me through CT(helmets not required in CT). It was a buetiful day, sunny and mid 70's and there were lots of bikes out. I would say 25% were wearing helmets. I had mine on the entire time(along with jacket, gloves, pants, and boots) but did like the freedom of choice.

Best sight of the day was a guy on a sport bike, in leather jacket, pants, gloves, and boots wearing some sweet shades...

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Reminds me of that great quote, "Oh yeah, well watch this!"
Kinda like, "Hold my beer; watch this".
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Priceless....... I went out for a quick thrity miler or so on Saturday and had some kind of hard shelled bug hit my faceshield at speed hard and loud enough to be caught by my gopro. I'm happy with my fullface laws or not.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Helmet laws do suck. I dont want to HAVE TO wear my lid. Ill wear it by my own choice though.

I went for a ride the other day that took me through CT(helmets not required in CT). It was a buetiful day, sunny and mid 70's and there were lots of bikes out. I would say 25% were wearing helmets. I had mine on the entire time(along with jacket, gloves, pants, and boots) but did like the freedom of choice.

Best sight of the day was a guy on a sport bike, in leather jacket, pants, gloves, and boots wearing some sweet shades...
I think that's still a better ratio than ND/MN (based on personal, completely unscientific observation). My favorites are the sportbike riders wearing no gear with a full-face hanging from the lock or strapped to the seat. WTF? Do you just want us to know that you HAVE a sweet helmet? Almost as common are the cruisers with their helmets on the sissy bar.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM

I personally use helmet and I don't like to ride without one. It's my choice.

I do believe that people should be able to chose I they want a helmet or not. Of course nor they nor their family should sue anybody if they die due to a head injury in a motorcycle accident. Also if they get disabled they should not receive any government help.

But still I believe is their privilege to use it or not. The same for seat belts. As long they don't risk anybody else let them do what they want.

It is a natural selection process.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I live on helmet-law free Florida where it's hot, hot, hot and wet, wet, wet... and I'm an ATGATT kind of guy. Thank goodness for mesh!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Priceless....... I went out for a quick thrity miler or so on Saturday and had some kind of hard shelled bug hit my faceshield at speed hard and loud enough to be caught by my gopro. I'm happy with my fullface laws or not.
I recognize that. Was attacked by a three pound June bug (apparently composed of depleted Uranium) while wearing an open face helmet many years ago and still have the scar on my cheek. Didn't take much convincing to switch to full face after that unprovoked assault by an suicidal insect.

The other side of that coin is the memory of a large wasp jamming itself between my beard and the chin bar of my full face helmet some years later. That was more exciting than I care to remember - and a bit painful, though I can't fault the wasp for defending itself. Or can I?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM

I agree with the helmet.
Helmet laws do suck. Deciding to wear one on your own, doesn't suck.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Garage
That is a great photo!

Being in WI, wearing a helmet is my choice, but I still never ride without one.

I rode to hang out with some friends this past weekend. I got there, took off my jacket, gloves and helmet and walked down to the lake still wearing my riding pants with knee armor.

After sitting there for an hour or so and telling bike stores and getting to see a couple scars other people were showing off, one of the guys asked me "so what are those knee things for" .... some people just don't get it.

Mitch
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I agree with the helmet.
Helmet laws do suck. Deciding to wear one on your own, doesn't suck.
Ironically people who consider things like medical and bike insurance important are more likely to wear a helmet. Most helmet less riders don't have medical insurance (Hurt Report) so who pays for their decision not to wear a helmet if they don't die but suffer a head injury? Lifetime care for someone with a head injury is not cheap.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
Ironically people who consider things like medical and bike insurance important are more likely to wear a helmet. Most helmet less riders don't have medical insurance (Hurt Report) so who pays for their decision not to wear a helmet if they don't die but suffer a head injury? Lifetime care for someone with a head injury is not cheap.
I don't know who pays for it because statistically insurance rates and taxes are no higher in states without helmet laws than they are in states with helmet laws.
So, you've got me, I don't know who's paying but I'm confident it's not me.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I was on a work trip in FL and my hotel was 4/10ths of a mile from the Walmart via a little back road and access road. I had just ridden 400 miles and was hot and sweaty. Checked into the hotel and needed some liquid refreshment so I jumped on the bike in only my riding pants, boots, T-shirt, and gloves. Got up to 10 MPH. Felt as exposed as walking or bicycling.

It was nice having that choice. I would not do that on the main road in front of the Hotel though. I wouldn't even walk across that road to go to a restaurant because I deemed it too risky.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post

Don't know where you are from V_Rider but

If like me, you live in a highly-corrumpted-governement-social-democratic country like me, it's society that pays, baddly btw

If you live in a capitalist f*ck-your-neighbourg-in-the-a** country, it's the patient that pays, big time

My 2 cent

LOP
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
But still I believe is their privilege to use it or not. The same for seat belts. As long they don't risk anybody else let them do what they want.
I'm a proponent of personal liberty as well as personal responsibility. I also have personal experience with a seat belt helping me avoid an accident. A city trash truck turned left across my lane while I was driving my car. My only out was a hard avoidance maneuver to the left, which took me over the curb onto the treebelt, followed by a hard right to stay off the sidewalk and get back onto the road and into my lane. The whole scenario played out in perhaps 3 seconds. As soon as I turned hard left the seat belt locked up and kept me positioned in front of the steering wheel, enabling me to retain control of the car. I doubt I'd have been able to do that without a seat belt. Just saying there's more to a seat belt than what it can do for you in a crash. I've also been pinged in the face shield by enough large insects and unidentified small objects to know that there's more to a full face helmet than what it can do for you in a crash.

Also FWIW, a friend's daughter who is a intensive care unit RN tells me that the worst moto injuries she treats are not from head injuries but from road rash and the infections that result when crud on the road gets ground into your flesh. Head injuries of riders who don't wear helmets, she says, are usually handled by a funeral director.

To the OP, great photo.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode