Worst T-bone crash caught on tape. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM

The car pulled out like it was trying to get in his way. It wasn't even pointed at the driveway on the right. If the rider survived, I hope he got up and kicked the snot out of the car driver.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
The car pulled out like it was trying to get in his way. It wasn't even pointed at the driveway on the right. If the rider survived, I hope he got up and kicked the snot out of the car driver.
I hadn't thought of this until you pointed that out.....clearly the school bus is stopped and they are not supposed to be passed when stopped. I wonder if the car driver (misguidedly considering the bike rider could have died or been crippled) was trying to cut the bike off from passing 'a stopped school bus'?

If that is the case neither was in the right but the car driver should certainly be liable for putting someone at risk even if it was with the best intent.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I was wondering also why a car would pull out when a bus was unloading. Unless the car was picking up the boy that was getting off the bus. It looked like it was going to pull up in front of the bus. But the guy on the bike was just as bad not even slowing down for a stopped school bus.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I was wondering also why a car would pull out when a bus was unloading. Unless the car was picking up the boy that was getting off the bus. It looked like it was going to pull up in front of the bus. But the guy on the bike was just as bad not even slowing down for a stopped school bus.
I thought he should have slowed down way before he approached the bus and the car as well. However, if you watch a few yards before impact he grabs all brake and starts and endo before he crashes, too little too late. I guess he doesn't look 12 seconds ahead or watch for cars exiting from the right.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I thought he should have slowed down way before he approached the bus and the car as well. However, if you watch a few yards before impact he grabs all brake and starts and endo before he crashes, too little too late. I guess he doesn't look 12 seconds ahead or watch for cars exiting from the right.

Looks like he didn't have a helmet on either.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

It appears he has no gear on at all and what I thought was a half helmet maybe in fact a visor hat.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
It appears he has no gear on at all and what I thought was a half helmet maybe in fact a visor hat.

Well it is Jack Nicklaus's Grandson. Maybe it was one of grandpa's golfing hats.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-25-2013 at 12:24 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
I hadn't thought of this until you pointed that out.....clearly the school bus is stopped and they are not supposed to be passed when stopped. I wonder if the car driver (misguidedly considering the bike rider could have died or been crippled) was trying to cut the bike off from passing 'a stopped school bus'?

If that is the case neither was in the right but the car driver should certainly be liable for putting someone at risk even if it was with the best intent.

Are you sure it was a school bus? It looks like a mass transit bus to me.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Are you sure it was a school bus? It looks like a mass transit bus to me.
+1. Also looked like a ball cap. Nice awareness and protective gear. Totally avoidable.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Exclamation

If it was a school bus then both the biker & the car are to blame.

If it was a transit bus then the car driver is totally to blame.

Whether the biker wears protective gear or not (helmets are not mandatory in all States) is his choice & has no bearing on the situation/crash.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Garage
If the info in the lower left corner of the vid is good, it's probably a Tahalasse city bus, so not a school bus
Also in a sequence, you see some adult in the back of the bus

And like other have commented, where was that cage driver going ???

LOP
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
If the info in the lower left corner of the vid is good, it's probably a Tahalasse city bus, so not a school bus

LOP
I would not be surprised if there wasn't a small electronic device involved.
I recall a study that compared texting while driving to driving while stoned...not much difference
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:30 PM

I had just read this thread while watching ESPN's college football coverage, and they showed this video. He's a Florida State football player. Apparently, the dude has fully recovered and is supposed to start at tight end this fall.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...torcycle-crash
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
2 observations:
Car was facing the kid that just got off the bus, does not appear tp be trying to head over to the driveway across the street.

Biker has no gear, it appears that he was wearing a baseball cap.

I hope the dude's OK. The bike and the bus's windshield are both GONE!!!!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
MTS

I have completed my review of the video! BFD! LOL

If you go frame by frame on impact it is so strange how the handle bars end up at the kids feet.

The rider may have stopped enough to save his life, but not his pants as they were ripped off him along with his hat!

He was very lucky to have lived through this accident!

+1 to the Capn. . . Man, he had a long time to slow down?

This concludes my review! BFD

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 07-25-2013 at 06:32 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post

LOP
After reading the article (it sounded like the kid got on the bus, payment didn't work then got off) I suspect, the car driver needed to make a turn or a u-turn and was waiting for the bus. Since the bus was sitting there for awhile, the driver got impatient and decided to just go without looking to see if anyone was coming.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Chalk it up to more stupid
We really need to quit trying to repeal Darwin's laws
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Inexperienced rider and, in my opinion, the rider should have avoided the crash.

Most of us (because we have thousands of miles under our helmets) would have anticipated the car pulling out. Additionally, we would have seen the kid walk off a bus and get ready to cross the street. Both of those things signal the rider to slow down.

Why didn't the rider watch the car's wheels and see them starting to spin -- a sign to slow down? Because he's inexperienced and probably untrained.

Yes, the driver is an idiot. But c'mon ... the vast majority of riders on this forum would never have crashed into that car, because we watch out for cars pulling out and kids crossing the street. And if you would have avoided that crash, why blame the car driver?

Also, here in Florida, under-21 riders are required to wear helmets. Bikes registered to under-21 owners have red-lettered license plates, so it's easy to spot someone who must be wearing a helmet.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 07-26-2013 at 12:05 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Here's the story from the driver of the car:
http://www.tomahawknation.com/florid...-florida-state

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode